FC Steaua Bucharest - Logo/Identity Mess

$teauA

Back in the December this happened: http://news.sportslogos.net/2014/12/11/steaua-bucharest-lose-rights-to-identity-trademark-court-ruling/

No deal has been reached and as of yesterday the club started using this Paint made monstrosity on their Facebook page a few days ago:

10635996_1047014758647883_74641268290532

The club claims that "FCSB" and Steaua are the same brand and always have been but the organized supporters groups are not satisfied and want the traditional logo back. While not the best logo in the world, this badge represents the history of the club. The biggest achievements in its history happened while wearing this badge between 1974-1991 (1986 European Champions Cup winners, 1986 European SuperCup winners,1988 ECC semifinalist, 1989 ECC finalist, many Romanian domestic league and cup titles) and then again from 2003 until present day (until this mess started).

767px-Steaua.svg.png

As far as I know, this is a completely unprecentented situation and it is leading to the complete distruction of the greatest brand in Romanian sporting history. As a life long Steaua supporter and a logo enthusiast this is pretty much my worst nightmare. I have zero belief that the inept leadership of my club will resolve this issue. Our owner and GM are both in jail for corruption charges (owner - post revolution land dealings, GM - player transfer corruption and tax evasion when he was GM at another club). Couple all of that with the general ineptitude of Romanian bureocracy and culture of corruption and I only see a grim outcome to all of this.

I lived in Bucharest, Romania until I was 12 and moved to Charlotte, NC after that. I was so excited when Charlotte regained the Hornets identity. This is basically the complete opposite.

Wow...why oh why would Steaua go back to that ugly mess of a crest. Yes I know their greatest run in their club's history was with that crest but they could have easily cleaned it up (not look like a kid drew it with markers). Steaua is one of the hidden gems in European football. I am hoping things turn around for the club especially that crest. YIKES!

The whole issue here is that the Romanian army is trying (and currently succeeding) to claim back the Steaua name, crest and colours.

So to redesign the crest and still have those things is pretty pointless.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

marble21, the army is trying to get a payday and in the process they have ruined the club's identity and started a very fiery chain of events that has led to both organized fan groups declaring they will not be attending matches until the situation is resolved. Nobody wins from this. It's another black eye for sports in Romania in an endless series of scandals and bs.

mcrosby, I really like your concepts, especially the second one. I would change it somehow to have the name stand out more and I'd also like to see it with a border around it. I love how you've blended the last 40 years of logos though into once concept.

Archived