Sign in to follow this  
ddub53

Unseen St. Louis Stallions Photo

So I came across a photo of the St. Louis Stallions photo that I had never seen before. It was an official NFL Photo that was sent to the AP. The stripe in the center is essentially a reserve Broncos style that narrows and it goes back. It also appears that that center gold stripe tapers as more white appears in the center as the gold goes back. Has anyone else seen this Stallions strip pattern before?

491f5915_o.jpeg

Interesting find, considering that the helmet stripe pictured there differs significantly from the one depicted in the style guide:

EX_STL_93.jpg

Wow - great find.

I'd expect that the AP photo was an early version, considering that they didn't have a jersey at that point.

But funny that they ended up with something closer to anticipating the eventual Broncos helmet - can only presume that NFL Properties held on to the idea once the Stallions' bid failed and dragged it out when they needed a Broncos design.

That logo really got better when they took a second crack at it and recolored it for the Denver Broncos.

Indeed. Separating the mane and changing it from spikes to waves really helped.

Perhaps St. Louis will get an expansion team in 5-10 years after the Rams depart for Los Angeles. The expansion team should be called the Stallions, and they can wear those uniforms. :P

Perhaps St. Louis will get an expansion team in 5-10 years after the Rams depart for Los Angeles. The expansion team should be called the Stallions, and they can wear those uniforms. :P

Not likely, as the ideas for their identity were refined and used for the Broncos' rebrand in 1997.

Do the Stallions get a second chance at life if the Rams move, and the NFL gives expansion a serious look in the future?

Well, the NFL is not really going to look at expansion. But if a relocating team wasn't to expand, then they may take the name out of sentiment (if anyone in St. Louis still remembers it), but that's entirely on them.

Do the Stallions get a second chance at life if the Rams move, and the NFL gives expansion a serious look in the future?

That's a great question, but losing two NFL teams would really hurts the perception of St. Louis nationally. There are cities like Birmingham, San Antonio, or Portland which have a case.

Birmingham? Not a good case.

*gets hit by falling debris from Legion Field*

Portland doesn't exactly have a field, or the wherewithal to want to build one. Also, these uniforms, in retrospect, are really awful.

I realize that was very early in the design process, and that the Panthers and Jaguars ended up wearing very different uniforms than what was shown at first - but man, everything about that logo and uniform package sucks. Top to bottom, inside out, hot garbage.

I've moved a whole slate of posts to the NFL relocation thread, as they were more about the city if LA's ability to support NFL football and St. Louis' prospects at a third NFL franchise then about the proposed Stallions' logos and uniforms. You can find the whole conversation starting here...

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/102389-nfl-merry-go-round-relocation-roundelay/?p=2387043

Let's keep the talk here uniform and logo related.

Very :D

Edit- but I'd still take them over the Broncos uniforms the whole concept ended up as.

Edited by Ice_Cap

Eh, I dunno.

I actually like the Stallions' color scheme, but they really salvaged the logo when they reworked it for the Broncos.