Top 5 WORST Sports Teams Nicknames

KillerSox

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does everyone feel about Red Sox, White Sox, Reds, Lions, Bears, Colts, Falcons, Texans, Bills, Browns, Kings (NBA), Hawks, Kings (NHL), Flyers, Penguins, Ducks, Jets, Fire, United, Impact, and Union?

That's a lot.

Bears, Colts, Falcons, lions, Hawks...those are great. That's why they were selected so long ago. Nothing wrong with Ducks, Flyers, Penguins...I know there are no penguins native to Pittsburgh but it works with the cold/hockey factor and the alliteration. Browns, Red/White Sox, Reds, Athletics, etc. are "old-timey" names that may not work if introduced today but are standing the test of time regardless. Texans would fit that category if it was older. I don't like it because there is already a team in Texas (which is probably why they did it; to get some fans in the rest of the state)

I don't like the way soccer teams are named but that could be me being a little ethnocentric.

Bills I don't like. What's a Bill? I get they were going for "Buffalo Bill" but I think that's kinda lame. I am not a fan of "Kings" but can deal with it...Kings are seen as something negative (by most Americans anyway), but since they "rule" I get why it's used.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

How does everyone feel about Red Sox, White Sox, Reds, Lions, Bears, Colts, Falcons, Texans, Bills, Browns, Kings (NBA), Hawks, Kings (NHL), Flyers, Penguins, Ducks, Jets, Fire, United, Impact, and Union?

That's a lot.

Bears, Colts, Falcons, lions, Hawks...those are great. That's why they were selected so long ago. Nothing wrong with Ducks, Flyers, Penguins...I know there are no penguins native to Pittsburgh but it works with the cold/hockey factor and the alliteration. Browns, Red/White Sox, Reds, Athletics, etc. are "old-timey" names that may not work if introduced today but are standing the test of time regardless. Texans would fit that category if it was older. I don't like it because there is already a team in Texas (which is probably why they did it; to get some fans in the rest of the state)

I don't like the way soccer teams are named but that could be me being a little ethnocentric.

Bills I don't like. What's a Bill? I get they were going for "Buffalo Bill" but I think that's kinda lame. I am not a fan of "Kings" but can deal with it...Kings are seen as something negative (by most Americans anyway), but since they "rule" I get why it's used.

The word you're looking for is Euro-Centric: more specially, Anglo-centric.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

The Frontier League's "Normal CornBelters" has got to be one of the worst, clumsy names I have ever come across. Sure, it's a minor league team so that should give a little leeway in terms of odd/quirky nicknames, but this name is a trainwreck just to say. The City of Normal is a hard city to pick a nickname for that works well. Back when they were deciding the team name via fan vote, other choices included the Nighthawks, the Nutz (Beer Nuts is based in nearby Bloomington), and the Coal Bears (meant as a play on Stephen Colbert's last name), and later the Fellers and CamelBacks. Honestly while none of these names are spectacular, just about all of them except Fellers would work better as names and be less clumsy. Heck, Nighthawks would've been a perfect alliteration. Regardless, they really should go back to the drawing board and go with something else.

ICXC NIKA

The Frontier League's "Normal CornBelters" has got to be one of the worst, clumsy names I have ever come across. Sure, it's a minor league team so that should give a little leeway in terms of odd/quirky nicknames, but this name is a trainwreck just to say. The City of Normal is a hard city to pick a nickname for that works well. Back when they were deciding the team name via fan vote, other choices included the Nighthawks, the Nutz (Beer Nuts is based in nearby Bloomington), and the Coal Bears (meant as a play on Stephen Colbert's last name), and later the Fellers and CamelBacks. Honestly while none of these names are spectacular, just about all of them except Fellers would work better as names and be less clumsy. Heck, Nighthawks would've been a perfect alliteration. Regardless, they really should go back to the drawing board and go with something else.

"Normal Fellers" is sublime. It makes me think of one of my favorite bands:

Don't the Corn Belters play at the Corn Crib? That's pretty good.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Any thoughts on Phillies and Raiders?

As for the Dodgers, I think the name can be relevant. Since Los Angeles has built light rail lines throughout the city, and are building/planning on building more, the monkier works.

Raiders ? that is top 5 best name ! Just ask Cube and Eazy (RIP)

And Dodgers work, LA residents dodging the train ride and jumping into a car

• WNBA is worse. Lynx, Fierce, Shock, Fever, Grief, Empowerment - I'll bet you can't even pick out which of those names I just made up.

I wish you had made up of all those but I am gonna say the last two.

I am pretty sure "Fierce" is fake as well.

I think Lynx is serviceable. I'd rather see an animal with a plural that ends in "s" but it works better than most "non-s" names.

Yup, Fierce and the last two are fakes. But it's basically a slam dunk layup that illustrates my point.

Minnesota Lynx, Tulsa Shock, and Indiana Fever are the real ones.

9tDPlnT.png

pSIx9so.png

2lx6s6o.jpg

Archived