NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

I think it's becoming more and more likely that LA will have to settle for the Chargers and/or Raiders and/or expansion or perhaps even not be getting a team any time soon at all.

The LA market is doing exactly what the NFL expected it to do. Be great leverage for teams in other cities.

Now, my above statement goes hand in hand with my confidence in a deal being worked out in St. Louis. I realize that until that's done, many of you will keep the Rams on the list. That's fine.

I'm just noting that the options that were once perceived as likely or feasible keep moving towards getting their stuff together in their current home.

What does upgrading the locker room and weight room have to do with engaging the fans and upgrading the game day experience?

He wasn't using those as example of the improved gameday experience. He was just listing improvement he done to the franchise. Like engaging with fans, improving the gameday experience (new video board, speakers, and various other stadium experiences noticed by the fans) as well as other stadium investments like a new locker room. He has done a lot.It is nice to have one of the richest owners in the league as your owner. Im not use to that in the sports world. It makes it easier to invest in season tickets that is for sure. And that is what he is saying. The fans see he is putting money in this thing,

Y'all better hope Shahid never develops a desire to own an EPL club. Just sayin'.

That said, still, that's great stuff for y'all fans of the organization (notice I said "y'all" there). A good many owners/organizations could stand to learn a thing or two from this guy here, for what my two rusted Lincolns are worth (which ain't much, but...still).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I had dinner last night with a friend who is "plugged-in" on the business and political front in Greater Los Angeles. According to him, word on the street is that Phil Anschutz is very open to advancing the Farmers Field project. Part of that is due to the fact that he has already invested $45-50 million into the project and is loathe to simply flush that sort of money down the toilet without making every effort to seeing it through to completion. Further, apparently Anschutz began to chafe at the increasingly high profile Tim Leiweke enjoyed on the Los Angeles business and political front, particularly with regard to the Farmers Field project. As such, Anschutz is said to want to successfully build the facility and secure an NFL franchise for Los Angeles in order to prove that he is more than just a reclusive billionaire who simply bankrolled the efforts of the "visionary" Leiweke.

All of that said, my buddy did say, "Anschutz won't make a 'bad' deal simply to say he made the deal. The NFL has never met a guy willing to go toe-to-toe with them over financials the way that Anschutz will." What that means for the prospects of the deal's completion remains to be seen.

You know what? It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see the NFL stand up an expansion organization out in LA one day, if they think it can generate more revenue for them. And we know the NFL is all about generating some revenue.

(I ain't saying it'd be good/bad, I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I could some random thing happening where LA and London both get expansion teams. But have no idea how you go about adjusting the divisions then.

This. The NFL probably wants to expand, they just don't want to deal with all the political fallout and time-consuming headaches that would result from reel line mint.

There are muggers less insistent with their victims than the NFL is with London.

The NFL doesn't want to move a team to London. They just want to tap into the British television/merchandise market.

Even when air travel improves and cuts the travel time down to four or five hours from the West Coast (which is how many decades away?), players will have to deal with a major case of jet lag unless they're in an Eastern division.

A couple games every year is one thing. But a team playing eight home games in Wembley? Never happen.

Also came out that AEG previously made an offer for the San Diego Chargers, specifically a low ball offer of $249 million for roughly 49% of the franchise and a Right of First Refusal to buy it if the Spanos family ever sold the majority. AEG justified the low number because they'd be allowing the team to play rent free in their privately funded $1.8 billion dollar stadium. That must be the deal the NFL didn't go for and what turned them sour on the whole plan to begin with.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-aeg-nfl-in-la-20130314,0,1108359.story

Actually kind of pissed that AEG's bid failed. The Spanoses have largely been horrible, cheap owners and the fans deserve better.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Actually kind of pissed that AEG's bid failed. The Spanoses have largely been horrible, cheap owners and the fans deserve better.

Having bad ownership is much preferable to having no team at all. And yes, moving the team two hours down the road is, for all intents and purposes, taking the team away.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

There are muggers less insistent with their victims than the NFL is with London.

The NFL doesn't want to move a team to London. They just want to tap into the British television/merchandise market.

Even when air travel improves and cuts the travel time down to four or five hours from the West Coast (which is how many decades away?), players will have to deal with a major case of jet lag unless they're in an Eastern division.

A couple games every year is one thing. But a team playing eight home games in Wembley? Never happen.

Not to mention British taxes and the havoc it would play with the American tv deals. Toronto is more likely, and Toronto isn't likely at all at this point.

I'd see them gear more towards a 4-team expansion, get to 36 teams with 6 division of 6. 34 teams creates too much unevenness. 31 only worked because the plan was in to add a 32nd team. I don't think London will work, with all the issues mentioned. The NBA is more likely because they could almost make a European division of 5 teams. With a 16-game schedule, there are too many headaches.

I think 32 is the best number to keep in the NFL. If they are in dire need of a LA team then they will find a way for a current team to move. Jacksonville or Oakland are the only ones that makes sense (just b/c Al Davis isn't around to keep them there). There is no need in taking teams away from big cities that just leaves a void for another expansion. The CFL isn't going anywhere, so that negates three possible markets (Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal). If any other team came into the league now it would just be another Jacksonville story.

Portland, OR - most are probably Seahawks fans

Sacramento, CA - 49ers fans?

Salt Lake City, UT - Broncos?

Las Vegas, NV - Broncos or Cardinals

San Antonio - Cowboys, Texans, and even Saints

Memphis - Rams, Titans

Birmingham - Titans, Falcons

Orlando - Jaguars, Bucs

Columbus - Bengals, Browns

Milwaukee - Packers

Hartford - Patriots, Giants, Jets

The league is just saturated with too many teams. If anything, just focus on making the USFL the developing league and let these cities go there.

Not to mention British taxes and the havoc it would play with the American tv deals. Toronto is more likely, and Toronto isn't likely at all at this point.

The US televesions would not really be an issue since there have been west coast teams in the London game.

The UK rights for Sunday games have been on a 3 year cycle with BSkyB but they air 60 regular season games plus the Super Bowl.

The Monday Night Football rights are under the same long term deal the NFL has with ESPN and it includes tablets and other digital platforms.

one correction...Memphis is Cowboys and Steelers country, with some liking the Titans but others resentful that they used Memphis as a stopover on the way to Nashville and didn't play the 2nd year as planned at the Liberty Bowl...The then Oilers also made no effort to market to Memphis as the state's team during their stay, only coming to Memphis for games and practicing in Nashville.

Interesting map below shows NFL loyalties based on most facebook likes.

original.png?w=900

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38