NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's something, when we hear from the NFL website about this.

My order of likeliest relocation shakes down like this (at this time):

1. San Diego Chargers--They need a new stadium soon, and can opt out any year. It also helps that Los Angeles is within 150 miles, making it more of a regional move than heading to a completely different part of the country.

2. Minnesota Vikings--They also need a new stadium; the bell tolls for the Metrodome (no later than the end of the 2011 season, if it runs according to schedule). It all hinges on whether a new stadium can be approved in Minnesota by then.

3. Oakland Raiders--As long as his corpse remains animated, there is always a chance that Al Davis has a change of mind concerning staying in the Bay Area...again.

4. St. Louis Rams--While Stan Kroenke will not sell a majority stake in the Rams after only 1 year, there are upcoming stadium issues in St. Louis that could cause the Moustache Man himself to pull up stakes around 2015.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars--Wayne Weaver doesn't want to leave, but he may be forced to sell within a few years if things don't keep improving for Jacksonville.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

1. San Diego Chargers--They need a new stadium soon, and can opt out any year. It also helps that Los Angeles is within 150 miles, making it more of a regional move than heading to a completely different part of the country.

2. Minnesota Vikings--They also need a new stadium; the bell tolls for the Metrodome (no later than the end of the 2011 season, if it runs according to schedule). It all hinges on whether a new stadium can be approved in Minnesota by then.

3. Oakland Raiders--As long as his corpse remains animated, there is always a chance that Al Davis has a change of mind concerning staying in the Bay Area...again.

4. St. Louis Rams--While Stan Kroenke will not sell a majority stake in the Rams after only 1 year, there are upcoming stadium issues in St. Louis that could cause the Moustache Man himself to pull up stakes around 2015.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars--Wayne Weaver doesn't want to leave, but he may be forced to sell within a few years if things don't keep improving for Jacksonville.

My money is on Oakland. However, it would be nice if the Rams were back in LA...purely from a NFC West standpoint.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Let's not forget Kroenke just bought Arsenal. If AEG offered him enough, he might just flip the Rams straightaway.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

My money is on Oakland. However, it would be nice if the Rams were back in LA...purely from a NFC West standpoint.

My money is on Oakland as well unless Minnesota's attempt to build a new stadium fails in the next year or so. I say Oakland because they're always a wild card, and currently they have no plans of their own that anyone is working on for a stadium.

I'd have to agree, if any team has a chance to go is the Chargers, like Minnesota, if they don't get a new arena plan approved, LA will start to look better & better, I could also see St.Louis as a potential candidate if they can't keep the owner around.

baltimoreravens.png

I'd have to agree, if any team has a chance to go is the Chargers, like Minnesota, if they don't get a new arena plan approved, LA will start to look better & better, I could also see St.Louis as a potential candidate if they can't keep the owner around.

What good would an arena do a football team?

Part of the problem San Diego has, is that AEG is looking for a majority ownership according to the article. San Diego's owners have no intention currently of selling a majority share in their team. And lately there has been some new traction on a stadium in San Diego (albeit minor). If Al Davis dies soon however a majority ownership stake in his Raiders would be available. The Rams may soon have a majority for sale as well.

Part of the problem San Diego has, is that AEG is looking for a majority ownership according to the article. San Diego's owners have no intention currently of selling a majority share in their team. And lately there has been some new traction on a stadium in San Diego (albeit minor). If Al Davis dies soon however a majority ownership stake in his Raiders would be available. The Rams may soon have a majority for sale as well.

My mistake, meant stadium ^_^

baltimoreravens.png

Kroenke just took over majority ownership. No way he's giving it up this quickly. Rams can't move til following 2014 season so there may already be someone there by then. My money's on the Chargers first and then the Jags, both possibly.

Kroenke just took over majority ownership. No way he's giving it up this quickly. Rams can't move til following 2014 season so there may already be someone there by then. My money's on the Chargers first and then the Jags, both possibly.

So? If AEG goes over the top on him by a ridiculous margin, (or not that ridiculous even) he can sell. He's not getting a new stadium, and just dropped a nice chunk of change on Arsenal...whose fans have not so modest expectations of ownership spending money in an attempt to win. And the lease might as well be year to year NOW since Missouri voted to choke off needed tax revenues to St. Louis and Kansas City.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So? If AEG goes over the top on him by a ridiculous margin, (or not that ridiculous even) he can sell. He's not getting a new stadium, and just dropped a nice chunk of change on Arsenal...whose fans have not so modest expectations of ownership spending money in an attempt to win. And the lease might as well be year to year NOW since Missouri voted to choke off needed tax revenues to St. Louis and Kansas City.

That's my thinking as well about the Rams. It'll take until 2014 or later to finish Farmer's Field anyway. More than enough time to lure in the Rams once their lease opens up the possibility of them moving. And Arsenal is Kroenke's new puppy.

As for the Raiders, guess I would have lost that bet. They're not going anywhere apparently. The discussion must've been short and ended with, "no." Davis' family wants the team after he croaks.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/raiders/detail?entry_id=90733

I don't think AEG is looking for the majority ownership.

When I read the original article this morning in the OC Register (yes I read a paper, and I was surprise of all papers that they had a scoop), I had interpreted the quote more as saying that if AEG needed to get majority ownership in a team to bring it to LA they would. The quote said that AEG was "prepared to acquire a majority stake in an NFL team that would play at the proposed venue and that the company was willing to pay for a team to get out of its current lease."

I don't think it's going to be necessary, but AEG would if they had to.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Agreed - the Rams still make sense as the NFC team to move, especially since the Vikings are now making tentative steps to a new stadium, which is an improvement over the past decade. That leaves the Rams and only the Rams as a potential NFC tenant, especially since they're rocketing towards their lease "out" clause and there's no money in the St. Louis coffers to build them a new one.

As for the AFC, I don't see the Raiders unless and until Davis drops dead. The Jags and Chargers are equally likely in my mind; one has a fanbase but can't get a new stadium, and one has a lease but not enough fans to fill the place.

July 31 is the first of what should probably be many of AGE's "self-imposed deadline dates" regarding action from the L.A. City Council.

From the story:

"We will know by July 31, one way or another," Leiweke, the sports and entertainment company's chief executive, told The Times from his office at L.A. Live. Leiweke wants the city to issue $350 million in municipal bonds to relocate the West Hall of the Convention Center ? where the proposed Farmers Field will sit ? and has promised those will be paid off by new revenue streams created by the project. Any shortfall in annual bond payments would be paid by AEG, Leiweke said.

While saying he's "optimistic" that the city has approached negotiations in a purposeful way, Leiweke said billionaire Philip Anschutz is prepared to pull the plug if the uncertainty drifts into August, thereby opting not to spend an estimated $45 million over the next year on an environmental impact report, designs for the stadium and replacement hall, and pursuing an NFL team.

"Will we get to the right place? I think so," Leiweke said. "But I'm OK if we get to July 31 and we don't get a deal done, and we move on, and I didn't spend $45 million of Phil's money."

It is unclear whether the date is a hard deadline or part of a negotiating tactic. Leiweke in the past was willing to walk away from an NFL stadium project. In 2002 AEG took off the table a proposal for an NFL stadium near Staples Center when met with resistance from the Los Angeles Coliseum Commission. This time, however, AEG is more invested in the project in large part because of its proximity to L.A. Live and a tower full of unsold condominiums.

ESPN got denials from three of the five. The Raiders and Chargers refuse to sell, and the Vikings are hopeful about their new stadium deal.

On the other hand, "Messages left with the Rams and Jaguars were not returned."

Hmmm.

Well...the darker, paranoid part of me has had this little conspiracy theory that the decision to move to LA has already been made. And it may have been made as far back as last summer.

It helps explain the relatively glacial pace of the Rams' rebuild, why the coaching staff could more or less decide it didn't want to win some of the Rams games last season...without seeing adverse consequences for the same, and the Rams not doing much to fight Prop A last fall. And of course, the Rams schedule this season is heavily front loaded (no divisional games-which should be among their most winnable-until week 9!) which could easily lead to a very slow start and the more casual St. Louis fanbase concluding "SOSAR" and choosing not to buy tickets.

In short, it is possible the Rams are in the process of market sabotage again, albeit more subtly after Frontiere's blatant show of it back in the 80s and early 90s.

Today, we are all otaku.

Lets move to LA where the fans leave at halftime, sip mint julips during the game, have the worst crime in America, around the stadium

Yeah, you know, South Central has a surprising number of lavish southern belles and dandies.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived