NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

Assuming the team wants to stay in St. Louis.

You think they don't? They're just going through the motions, playing hardball with a city they know can't afford to live up to its contractual obligations so the lease moves into year-to year and they can relocate?

Assuming the team wants to stay in St. Louis.

You think they don't? They're just going through the motions, playing hardball with a city they know can't afford to live up to its contractual obligations so the lease moves into year-to year and they can relocate?

My gut still sees that as the desired endgame. St. Louis just isn't a good football market.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think it's just as likely that some area municipality steps up to give the Rams a lot of money, but it won't be St. Louis City. They shouldn't, but they might. Football makes people dumb. You could say it has contributed to the dumbening of America. Oh my God, it's spreading!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

My guess is it would be St. Louis County or some sort of shady "Regional Stadium Authority" hastily assembled by the state legislature.

It would just warm my heart as a baseball/hockey fan for St. Louis to be like "nuts to you, NFL, baseball and hockey is all we need," not that it would make me want to spend another moment of my life in St. Louis ever again.

They could always build it on an Indian burial ground in Fenton by an interstate intersection that doesn't need the added traffic.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't know if they have an official claim, but Rams and Raiders preseason games are aired down here. Also when there isn't an obvious national game or Charger game to show, we'll get the Raiders or Cowboys, not the Rams as much.

The Rams used to up until a few years ago; the Raiders and Chargers complained to the NFL, and got the games pulled off of L.A. TV. The Redskins, for one preseason (either '08 or '09), also had their preseason games televised here in L.A.

For someone in LA or within close proximity, is there still huge Rams following in LA? If so, it sucks that they were alienated because the Raiders and the Chargers complained.

As far as I know, the Rams' following here locally has dissipated each passing year since they left the region years ago. Listening to local sports radio whenever the NFL (the old L.A. Rams teams) is talked about , you have some of the older fans pretty much distancing themselves from the team even when they left Los Angeles for Anaheim in 1980. The Georgia Fronteire regime (at least in the last years of the team in Anaheim) killed any goodwill the team had left. I was never a Rams or Raiders fan when they were here, so there no sort of emotional attachment, and since I'm a Chargers fan, I'm suppose to hate the Raiders anyway.

For someone in LA or within close proximity, is there still huge Rams following in LA? If so, it sucks that they were alienated because the Raiders and the Chargers complained.

As far as I know, the Rams' following here locally has dissipated each passing year since they left the region years ago. Listening to local sports radio whenever the NFL (the old L.A. Rams teams) is talked about , you have some of the older fans pretty much distancing themselves from the team even when they left Los Angeles for Anaheim in 1980. The Georgia Fronteire regime (at least in the last years of the team in Anaheim) killed any goodwill the team had left. I was never a Rams or Raiders fan when they were here, so there no sort of emotional attachment, and since I'm a Chargers fan, I'm suppose to hate the Raiders anyway.

I have always found it odd however that the Rams fandom has seemingly vanished in Los Angeles since the mid-90's, while the Raiders fandom has held on and even thrived to an extent despite their far shorter time as an LA team. Obviously some of it has to do with the Davis' efforts to keep themselves in the collective consciousnesses in LA. Some of it is undoubtedly due to the Raiders flippant attitude toward moving (ie: they could always move back). But as an outside observer it has always perplexed me. Particularly after those "facebook maps" started coming out with LA having more Raider fans than the team's current home in the Bay Area.

My guess is it would be St. Louis County or some sort of shady "Regional Stadium Authority" hastily assembled by the state legislature.

It would just warm my heart as a baseball/hockey fan for St. Louis to be like "nuts to you, NFL, baseball and hockey is all we need," not that it would make me want to spend another moment of my life in St. Louis ever again.

Around here, we call that the Miller Park Method (not really, but we should).

Exactly! They'll daisy-chain the outlying counties and maybe St. Louis City and each one will nominally put some stooge on some board, and then they'll tax everyone and give the real decision-making power to Stan Kroenke. But I think we all prefer the term "enhanced public-private partnership," thankyouverymuch.

I have always found it odd however that the Rams fandom has seemingly vanished in Los Angeles since the mid-90's, while the Raiders fandom has held on and even thrived to an extent despite their far shorter time as an LA team.

I would think that television has a lot to do with that, though packages have perhaps minimized that a bit in recent years. Likewise with the Raider stores in LA - seems the rise on online shops would make a few brick-and-mortar places much less reverent, when you can pick up a new Rams cap about as easily as you can a Raider lid.

Seriously, I wonder if the colors might have something to do with it. Neither team has been very good lately, and if you're going to follow a mediocre-at-best long-distance team with an historical connection to your town you might as well pick one that has the cooler-looking merchandise. That's the way a lot of fans continue to relate to out-of-town teams.

Ah, it's probably the television thing. But I wonder.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-nfl-la-rams-20140131,0,3805682.story#axzz2rw91pk4V

Some interesting points I never thought of regarding the move to LA. The most interesting one was the airline path post-9/11 law.

If the move does happen, do you think they will remain the Rams? Or rebrand? it'd be easy to market the whole "welcome back Rams" movement, versus a whole new look.

926.gif

I've heard many stories like this before, ending up eventually as hype, so it's not that serious to me.

Anyway, in terms of the deal, it's quite remarkable of Inglewood trying to revitalize itself. Between MSG's renovation of the Forum to a concert-only venue, to the condo development out of the old Hollywood Park racetrack, it seems that Inglewood is trying to make up for the decimating 2000s decade, where the departure of the Lakers and Kings and attendance decline at the horse track crippled that community. But it's all cute in everything (and not that serious) that Kroenke bought 60 acres of land, knowing that (1) it's too small to qualify as needed acreage for an NFL stadium and (2) the condo developers have 4x as much acreage to build their developments.

In this story, Mongo is the NFL and the man on the horse is LA.

mongo-punches-horse_o_GIFSoupcom_zps68fe

Good luck L.A.~

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

In before the merge.

Beat me to it. ;)

I'm having a hard time believing that the Commissioner couldn't ensure a relocation vote passes, regardless of the lost leverage in Oakland and San Diego (especially since either of those clubs could soon be the AFC representative in LA). If they want Los Angeles in the fold for the next tv deal, it'll pass a vote.

It will never happen unless a private investor fully funds his own stadium and then buys a team and moves it here. It's all about politics and LA politics can't get anything done. If LA was to have a football team, they would have a football team, but politics just kills it.