NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

All the LA teams are hell bent in keeping their franchises, just as the NFL doesn't want to move their teams in LA. That includes the stupid Chivas USA! Having three MLS teams in LA is like the Kardsahian sisters. No wonder Stan Kroenke is senile!

Which is why Kroneke isn't putting a 3rd MLS team in LA... Even he's not that dumb. Plus it goes against everything MLS has been trying to do the last 8 years.

Make of it what you will, but someone in the Rams organization is speaking:

Rams VP Kevin Demoff speaks to Kroenke's silence.

I actually find this refreshing, as Demoff isn't mincing words as much as you would think and being quite frank. Thoughts?

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Make of it what you will, but someone in the Rams organization is speaking:

Rams VP Kevin Demoff speaks to Kroenke's silence.

I actually find this refreshing, as Demoff isn't mincing words as much as you would think and being quite frank. Thoughts?

Basically just reiterated what the land really is... a threat to St. Louis to get something done or else.

The best thing would be for the Raiders to play in Santa Clara and represent Oakland only in spirit, then renovate the Coliseum once more to better host the A's (or build a new park in the parking lot, whichever is cheaper). I care about the A's more than the Raiders, to be honest.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The best thing would be for the Raiders to play in Santa Clara and represent Oakland only in spirit, then renovate the Coliseum once more to better host the A's (or build a new park in the parking lot, whichever is cheaper). I care about the A's more than the Raiders, to be honest.

I know you're not the only one, but the Raiders are as much a part of Oakland's identity as the Packers are Green Bay's. If only one team can remain in Oakland, it should be them.

I get that, but the Niners mean a lot to San Francisco and their city can't fit a modern NFL stadium either. I don't even want the A's to leave the Coliseum, I just know they have to. I love that there's one park left with more than a postage stamp of foul ground. Totally changes the way you play the game.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

^ That's worth continuing to follow. If an NFL Toronto movement picks up steam, I think expansion into LA and Toronto at the same time becomes increasingly likely.

Just one possibility, though. Not nearly enough to draw any conclusions from that.

As for the Demoff interview(s), his tone and attitude is pretty much the exact same as it's always been. He's not making promises, but he's laying out a very real case for why people should believe the Rams priority is remaining in St. Louis. And he notes that the Rams see a public/private/NFL G4 funding set up as the way things are generally done. (The issue is, of course, finding where to meet in the middle.)

I don't think he made the LA land purchase sound like a threat against St. Louis. I think he attempted to dismiss that notion but did comment that it's had a positive affect as far as motivating people anyways. Of all things, that's really the only think I doubt his sincerity on. I think Stan knew it'd come off as leverage, but I'm not surprises that's not being acknowledged.

Anyways because there's no promises, and because this isn't Stan himself, I don't think this changes much for anybody. The people who are scared (if your from STL) or skeptical aren't going to put stock in this. The people who are trusting and optimistic see this as reaffirmation. But nobody can (nor should) see this as commitment of any kind. As Demoff alludes to, that's just the reality of the situation. It's unsettling. These situations always are.

Here's direct links to the audio of the two interviews he did:

https://soundcloud.com/101sports/rams-coo-kevin-demoff-assures

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLcom/RadioShows/TheMorningAfter/tabid/88/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/12335/Wednesdays-Show-Audio--No-Time-to-Talk-Fries.aspx

So a Texas-based "sports facility planning business" is trying to gauge interest in Toronto, but they won't say if their looking on behalf of anyone actually connected with the NFL.

Not much smoke there, much less fire. Especially since the local response to the Bills games has been underwhelming.

• Like 1

So a Texas-based "sports facility planning business" is trying to gauge interest in Toronto, but they won't say if their looking on behalf of anyone actually connected with the NFL.

Not much smoke there, much less fire. Especially since the local response to the Bills games has been underwhelming.

FWIW, CSL is part of the Cowboys/Yankees partnership.

FWIW, CSL is part of the Cowboys/Yankees partnership.

Still, the response to the (admittedly terrible) Bills games has been lukewarm, and I don't think there is the will to build an NFL stadium.

• Like 1

The mayor of Oakland has said she expects the Raiders to reach a deal for a new stadium by the summer, but she is up for reelection in november and the city is broke so, who knows.

Jean Quan says a lot of things. She's yet to follow through on any of them when it comes to the teams. I wouldn't believe a word of it until a contract is actually signed and shovels are actually in the ground. As you say, the city is broke, and the Raiders aren't exactly flush with cash for an NFL team.

The Raiders and Athletics both need to get out of Oakland IMO. Raiders should become the AFC Los Angeles team, and the A's should move to San Jose/Sacramento.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

I'm not sure it's fair to gauge a market based on attendance for what are essentially exhibition games. They aren't the "Toronto" Bills, and they aren't in the tile picture. I realize there's not much else to go on, but it's totally reasonable to assume that the response would be different if the team wore the city's name on its chest. I feel the same way about NHL exhibitions like in KC.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm not sure it's fair to gauge a market based on attendance for what are essentially exhibition games. They aren't the "Toronto" Bills, and they aren't in the tile picture. I realize there's not much else to go on, but it's totally reasonable to assume that the response would be different if the team wore the city's name on its chest. I feel the same way about NHL exhibitions like in KC.

I agree with you and almost wrote something similarly. That said, the counter-argument is obviously that these aren't actually exhibitions. They're real regular season games.

But I'm with you. They may be real games, but they're not Toronto's team. Reading through some comments (the best source of information, right!?), it really does sound like Torontonians do not necessarily have an affinity for the Bills. And the Bills stink.

I can't guarantee Toronto would be a successful market, but I'm a strong believer that special games or minor league teams are not a very good indicator of whether a major professional team would be supported. I think it's far better to look at the traditional factors of market size and support of other teams in the city.

I'm betting that if Toronto had it's own NFL team, they'd do well. But who knows. And there's a lot of things that would have to happen to get them a team anyways.

The other variable with Toronto is that they already have a football team... the Argos.

How bad has the football been in the Bils Toronto series? Out of the six regular season games played in Toronto, the opponent has only had a winning record twice coming into the game and the Bills have only had a winning record once. Still, I just don't think it feels like Toronto "wants" an NFL team. And the stadium...

• Like 1