duma

NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

I still say the old Chrysler plant is the best location for a new stadium. Now funding is another story. If Kroenke could get ahold of some of his wife's Walmart money, that'd help. ^_^ I still think even the current lease favors the Rams staying, simply because of how long until the out and whether or not LA will wait that long to get a team in there. This "trade" would be the only way I'd see Kroenke trying to get out of the lease earlier than 2015. If he does intend to stay, I can see him giving the city a few years extension to try and work something out and if not, then all options are open. LA would probably more than likely be filled by that time however, so this whole situation is really based on a bunch of if's and wait's.

Even with the other teams racing to get to LA, I wouldn't be surprised of the NFL dragged this on a few years. Say they have already decided that the Jags and Rams are moving to LA. I could see them forcing the teams to play another year or two in their current cities because the threat of teams moving to LA could force legislatures to build new stadiums in San Diego and Minnesota.

I really don't know about that - the LA deals might be fleeting if they can't get a team. I doubt they want to jeapordize an LA move at this point.

Not quite:

LOS ANGELES -- The sports and entertainment company AEG is agreeing to pay nearly three-quarters of the cost to finance demolition and reconstruction of a convention center building that would be relocated to make space for an NFL stadium in downtown Los Angeles.

The replacement convention center, not the new stadium.

This is a step in the right direction, though.

New info: AEG will pay for 3/4's of the stadium

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

The L.A. Times gives more on the change of financing and why the city is on the hook for less. This is essentially a counter proposal by the city, than a binding agreement.

1-There is a plan for a special tax district around the convention center, Farmers Field, Staples Center and L.A. Live.

2-AEG would pay for a parking garage, as opposed to the city in AEG's original plan to the city in January, saving the city $75-80M.

3-Institute a "stadium construction tax" for the project.

Not quite:

LOS ANGELES -- The sports and entertainment company AEG is agreeing to pay nearly three-quarters of the cost to finance demolition and reconstruction of a convention center building that would be relocated to make space for an NFL stadium in downtown Los Angeles.

The replacement convention center, not the new stadium.

This is a step in the right direction, though.

Thanks for clarifying that Gothamite, I had a feeling I misread that, but I do agree, this is a step in the right direction.

The headline was very misleading.

But still, this is a very positive step. Makes the project much more likely to succeed.

St. Louis better start figuring out where their billion-dollar contribution will be coming from.

St. Louis better start figuring out where their billion-dollar contribution will be coming from.

Tax on teddy bears and mylar balloons. All they have to do is put out a hit on a Cardinals reliever of marginal worth.

Anyone care to guess what teams these could be?

Too late--I'll say the Jaguars, Buccaneers, and Rams...only the Bucs are safe from moving.

Rams were just sold, they're not back on the block. Unless you think Stan needs to raise money for his Arsenal expenses.

Doesn't mean they won't move to LA, though. They're still my favorite to relocate.

I suspect you're right about the Jags, and probably Bucs as well (speaking of soccer expenses). But who's the third?

I don't see Weaver selling the Jags though... I thought he was really committed to that market.

He is, but the market isn't so committed to the Jags.

He's long said that he'll sell the team "eventually", he's not a lifer like the Rooneys, Maras or Al Davis.

OK, while the Rams seem unlikely at this point, I'll pick the Raiders in their place; Al Davis' corpse needs to prepare for its burial. :P

Maybe 2 of the teams involved are the Rams and Broncos (possible Rams-Broncos swap)? While not a sale in the most direct form of the term, it is a change of ownership for 2 teams.

BTW, Gothamite, I also believe that even if Stan "The Moustache Man" Kroenke holds onto the Rams, they are still very near the top of the NFL relocation list, with the stadium issue and the funding thereof.

OK, while the Rams seem unlikely at this point, I'll pick the Raiders in their place; Al Davis' corpse needs to prepare for its burial. :P

Maybe 2 of the teams involved are the Rams and Broncos (possible Rams-Broncos swap)? While not a sale in the most direct form of the term, it is a change of ownership for 2 teams.

BTW, Gothamite, I also believe that even if Stan "The Moustache Man" Kroenke holds onto the Rams, they are still very near the top of the NFL relocation list, with the stadium issue and the funding thereof.

While they're on the list, I don't put them at the top. They can't move until January/February 2015 (and please stop bringing up the "ever heard of a buyout lease?" crap). If Kroenke does in fact move them, he'll at least give them til the lease opt out to come up with something. An therein lies why I rank em lower. Chargers top the list, and reading around that seems pretty universal. Jags aren't safe despite what Weaver says. One good season and everyone here was branding them safe even though their situation was similar or lesser to that of the Rams, which again comes around to everyones wet dream of the Rams back in LA. You can say I'm being a homer, but no one can deny that your all's personal hopes are clouding your judgements too. Vikings still need a stadium and there's still nothing sound on a new one. Bills are gonna probably leave too, but my money's still on Toronto. Though LA isn't outta the picture.

Btw I heard some rumblings that Kroenke might privately fund a stadium (his wife has Walmart $) with the help on tax breaks and other land stuff, no exactly sure on all the details. Nothing necessarily set in stone or anything, but plausible nonetheless.

They can't move until January/February 2015 (and please stop bringing up the "ever heard of a buyout lease?" crap).

Well then stop willfully putting forth a premise of no value whatsoever!

Rams were just sold, they're not back on the block. Unless you think Stan needs to raise money for his Arsenal expenses.

Doesn't mean they won't move to LA, though. They're still my favorite to relocate.

I suspect you're right about the Jags, and probably Bucs as well (speaking of soccer expenses). But who's the third?

*shrugs*

Ralph Wilson died a couple of months ago and they're currently pulling a Suleyman the Magnificent? :blink:

I wouldn't completely rule out soccer expenses forcing a quick flipping of the Rams to a suitable LA bidder. I'm of the understanding Arsenal's fans want massive spending STAT after last season.

They can't move until January/February 2015 (and please stop bringing up the "ever heard of a buyout lease?" crap).

How is it of no value? Because it goes against your opinion? Sorry. I had know idea I couldn't disagree with you.

How is it of no value? Because it goes against your opinion? Sorry. I had know idea I couldn't disagree with you.

Because there is plenty of documented, empirical evidence of leases being bought out for the city to get a quick buck; especially if they figure the team is gone anyway.

Seems fair enough.

If the Rams can buy out the last couple years of a lease with Anaheim, they can buy out the last couple years of a lease with St. Louis.