NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

Who is leading the NFL in season ticket sales? The Jacksonville Jaguars.

Did you consider how many seats are being tarped-off so that the Jags can lead those ticket sales?

Did you consider people only buying seats (as stupid as this sounds) to see the new stadium video board?

Oh, and season tickets are like $300 to $1000 a year. A guy making 50k a year can easily afford that. I know, I lived it. I've had season tickets the years I was making under 20k. It was all of my jollies budget but I could afford it.

When was this? 1998?

Edited by Ice_Cap
This is a discussion about possible NFL relocation. Not a soapbox.

Who is leading the NFL in season ticket sales? The Jacksonville Jaguars.

Did you consider how many seats are being tarped-off so that the Jags can lead those ticket sales?

Did you consider people only buying seats (as stupid as this sounds) to see the new stadium video board?

1. seats being tarped off wouldn't help a team lead the league in sales. In fact it would hurt them. It would only raise their percentage of seats sold, not total number of seats. It doesn't matter because that link is completly worthless and they aren't leading the league in anything, but still your logic here is faulty.

2. Nobody is buying a season ticket to see a video board. Nobody. Maybe a game just to check out the new things in the stadium, but that's it. Even that is a stretch. Video boards and stuff like that are more like things for teams to brag about rather than major selling points to fans (unless what they replaced was completely outdated and horrible.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Since the Packers don't even sell single game tickets, and their stadium has 15,000 more seats than the Jags'... I'm gonna guess they have more season tickets sold than the Jags do. The Packers' owner is a member here... just ask him. ;)

The L.A. Times has a big NFL package in today's paper:

NFL-to-L.A. relationship is starting to feel different

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-rams-raiders-chargers-la-20140720-story.html#navtype=outfit (terrible headline)

3 teams that could respond to L.A.'s call:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-rams-raiders-chargers-chart-20140720-story.html#navtype=outfit (Raiders, Chargers, Rams of course)

What will it take to get the NFL back?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-nfl-la-qa-farmer-20140720-story.html#navtype=outfit

And the TL;DR version provided by our aggregator friends at CBS Sports:

NFL could return to L.A., own the stadium and act as landlord:

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24628728/report-nfl-could-return-to-la-own-the-stadium-and-act-as-landlord

Now there's a headline. :)

On the other side of the country, Jon Bon Jovi is making a play for the Bills, in a group also including Larry Tanenbaum (of the Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Group) and the Rogers family.

Despite such Toronto-heavy backing, the group is reportedly telling existing NFL owners that if they win the bidding, they will not move the Bills out of Buffalo.

http://torontosun.com/2014/07/19/toronto-bid-group-wants-to-keep-bills-in-buffalo-sources

I award 10 internets for the X-Files reference.

Major fox-in-the-henhouse vibes from Rogers, the corporation that did move the Bills out of Buffalo on a part-time basis.

It's generally prudent to not trust Rogers in any capacity.

For all the talk that Kroenke has connections to Missouri, he's never shown anywhere near the devotion to his hometown that Khan has.

Khan really likes St. Louis no-doubt, but I'm not sure what devotion you're talking about. You got any examples of the devotion he's shown St. Louis beyond some kind words and the original effort to buy the Rams?

St. Louis isn't even his hometown, it's just where he immigrated through on route to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He stayed in Urbana following that and had remained their since, building his fortune on his company headquartered there. Now he splits his time in Jacksonville.

Kroenke, meanwhile, ensured the Rams moved to St. Louis by purchasing his original 40% stake on that condition. He's also made a large amount of his money developing in the region, and his real estate company is based in St. Louis.

I understand that you don't think Kroenke has given you any reason to believe he'll make big sacrifices to keep the Rams in St. Louis. For the moment, that's not my point. My only real point is Kroenke actually is invested in St. Louis, and Shad Khan pretty much isn't in any way whatsoever beyond some emotional fondness.

Well, Kroenke is invested in a lot of places. But I meant more in terms of their public relations - Khan is famously devoted to Downstate Illinois, while Silent Stan has given no such impression.

And for the record, I don't think we can say either has any sentimental connection that would override business concerns. That was the point I was trying to make, although admittedly not very well.

Well, Kroenke is invested in a lot of places. But I meant more in terms of their public relations - Khan is famously devoted to Downstate Illinois, while Silent Stan has given no such impression.

That's because he's the only person devoted to downstate Illinois, famous or not.

Kroenke, meanwhile, ensured the Rams moved to St. Louis by purchasing his original 40% stake on that condition.

The way I always heard it, Kroenke was brought in in order to get the rest of the league to sign off on the move, which was Frontiere's idea in the first place. In other words, it wasn't "I'm buying 40% of the team and moving it to St. Louis", but "I'm buying into the team which is moving to St. Louis anyway and this way the league doesn't get sued."

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Kroenke, meanwhile, ensured the Rams moved to St. Louis by purchasing his original 40% stake on that condition.

The way I always heard it, Kroenke was brought in in order to get the rest of the league to sign off on the move, which was Frontiere's idea in the first place. In other words, it wasn't "I'm buying 40% of the team and moving it to St. Louis", but "I'm buying into the team which is moving to St. Louis anyway and this way the league doesn't get sued."

That kind of sounds like he bought the team to help ensure the move went smoothly anyways, no? Regardless, Kroenke was also part of the "almost" expansion bid to get a team in St. Louis.

We don't have to get into to what degree his emotional tie to St. Louis will impact the stadium situation with the Rams, but it seems kind of silly to act like he hasn't made significant efforts and investments in St. Louis that go beyond "just doing business."

He's certainly more inclined to do things for St. Louis than your average national billionaire.

Oh well, I'm being nit-picky at this point. As per this whole damn time, we still have no idea what the man is gonna do.