NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Link: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/pro-sports/article/Oakland-Raiders-owner-in-talks-with-SA-to-5654812.php

What will be their tricode if they move? SARs?

As an A's fan, I am fine with this move. That may finally get the A's a chance to get a new stadium. The AFC West, by this move, would only have one team that plays in the Pacific time zone

Go A's!

Just herd Mark Davis is in talks with San Antonio.

I think you meant Santa Clara.

Because every relocation rumour comes to fruition right? Mark Davis has no money to pay a relocation fee and moving to a smaller metro area/tv market devalues the franchise. Also he's just butthurt that city of Oak is likely siding up with the A's for a likely long term deal.

His best bet is to suck it up and move in with the 9ers or take on a financial partner and move back to LA. NFL stadia are a massive economic boondoggle anyway.

San Antonio is full of Cowboys fans. Unless the Raiders make the playoffs in the first or 2nd year in San Antonio, they will be the 2nd favorite team in a relatively small market.

Yeah the whole idea makes no sense but there's a ton of people out there who don't understand that the press is often exploited to simply float BS rumors that benefit ownership/management and read every article as it's the literal truth.

Just remember, 5 years ago ago UTSA didn't have a football team. Today, they have the 2nd highest attendance rate in CUSA and fill the Alamo Dome with 30,000 people to watch CUSA football. Granted, 30,000 is about half of what they'll have to get, I think San Antonio still would be able to support an NFL team.

Interested bidders had to submit bona fides by 5 PM today to stay involved in the process to buy the Bills. I believe anyone who wants to enter the game just now is too late.

College attendance has absolutely zero predictive value on NFL attendance. San Antonio is a bluff, and a pretty transparent one at that.

Bluff to what end? He's not going to get any money out of Oakland. The Raiders and their partners still missed every deadline related to Coliseum City. He still has no interest in moving his team into be the Niners additional funding source. And LA is still not happening since he has neither the money to make anything happen, nor the ownership stake to sell of to either Roski or AEG.

Meanwhile San Antonio has an NFL ready stadium that's nicer than the one he's stuck in currently. And in a league where the owners really can't block a team's movement all that easily and a league where the locations of the teams doesn't really matter due to the national TV deals. This move seems very possible. And more than likely given that he has nothing to gain by threatening Oakland, unless his goal is to drive Raiders attendance even lower than it already is in dead last.

Meanwhile San Antonio has an NFL ready stadium that's nicer than the one he's stuck in currently. And in a league where the owners really can't block a team's movement all that easily and a league where the locations of the teams doesn't really matter due to the national TV deals. This move seems very possible. And more than likely given that he has nothing to gain by threatening Oakland, unless his goal is to drive Raiders attendance even lower than it already is in dead last.

The Alamodome isn't NFL-ready, nor is it all that nice. This is just more of your wishcasting because you hate Oakland/the East Bay.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Alamodome isn't NFL-ready, nor is it all that nice. This is just more of your wishcasting because you hate Oakland/the East Bay.

What makes you think I hate Oakland or the east bay? I've been an A's fan for a quarter century now and I lived in the east bay for quite some time, you really think I'd bother with either if I hated the east bay?

I just hate the Raiders.

And it's hardly wish casting. The Alamodome has just as many amenities an NFL team would ask for as the Coliseum does (but please feel free to let us know what you think it lacks). And it does so while being football specific, 30 years younger, and wouldn't have to be shared with the A's or their baseball diamond for half the season. And most importantly its in a city in a state that still has money it would be willing to part with to help out a poor little NFL franchise like the Raiders. Oakland has been broke for years and won't be able to fill the Raiders $500-$700 million dollar funding gap on Coliseum City. The city knows it, Davis knows it, and most fans who pay attention know it. There will never be a new football stadium in Oakland. And if Davis doesn't want to share Levis stadium there's few other options for him.

While it's a fair point that bluffing may not bring about anything in Oakland anyways, I have to think that's what's going on here. With LA, there's not a whole lot more Davis can do to engage the market to further the bluff. With San Antonio, he can begin talking to officials. Make it seem that much more real.

But if a team moves to San Antonio before LA, I'll be shocked.

Just remember, 5 years ago ago UTSA didn't have a football team. Today, they have the 2nd highest attendance rate in CUSA and fill the Alamo Dome with 30,000 people to watch CUSA football. Granted, 30,000 is about half of what they'll have to get, I think San Antonio still would be able to support an NFL team.

CUSA tickets are also substantially cheaper than NFL tickets.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What makes you think I hate Oakland or the east bay? I've been an A's fan for a quarter century now and I lived in the east bay for quite some time, you really think I'd bother with either if I hated the east bay?

I just hate the Raiders.

And it's hardly wish casting. The Alamodome has just as many amenities an NFL team would ask for as the Coliseum does (but please feel free to let us know what you think it lacks). And it does so while being football specific, 30 years younger, and wouldn't have to be shared with the A's or their baseball diamond for half the season. And most importantly its in a city in a state that still has money it would be willing to part with to help out a poor little NFL franchise like the Raiders. Oakland has been broke for years and won't be able to fill the Raiders $500-$700 million dollar funding gap on Coliseum City. The city knows it, Davis knows it, and most fans who pay attention know it. There will never be a new football stadium in Oakland. And if Davis doesn't want to share Levis stadium there's few other options for him.

I was under the impression that the Alamodome is functionally the Edward Jones Dome South. Yeah the base structure is 30 years newer that the Oakland stadium, but that still means it doesn't have nearly the level of amenities and luxury box seating that NFL stadia are expected to have. It's a spec building, and it shows.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That is true! And touching on the fact that there's a lot of Cowboys' fans in San Antonio, I'm not sure Jerry Jones would let a team be moved there without making any noise about it. As someone said, they would need to succeed right away to keep fans in the stands.

Archived