NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You really can't get mad at Pegula for chasing where the money is at right now (fracking, petroleum oil). Then again, I'll get a little irritated at a potential North American professional sports franchise owner who made his fortune creating artificial earthquakes in non-earthquake prone areas.

You really can't get mad at Pegula for chasing where the money is at right now (fracking, petroleum oil). Then again, I'll get a little irritated at a potential North American professional sports franchise owner who made his fortune creating artificial earthquakes in non-earthquake prone areas.

I don't think they've had that specific problem in Pennsylvania where I think he's focused, but yeah it's scummy. I try not to think about it. He sold off a lot to get the money for the Bills, so he's not killing the Earth as much any more I guess? Yay?

This may be a stretch, but lets say you combine San Antonio (#36 TV Market, 906,210 TV Homes) and Austin (#40 TV Market, 733,390 TV Homes) when considering a potential San Antonio team. That combined TV market is larger than half of the combined San Fran-Oakland-San Jose market (2,518,900 TV Homes) which is being generous when saying the Raiders pull in half of that market.. Austin is 80 miles from the Alamodome with the I-35 corridor quickly becoming less and less rural. Austin is already considered part of the Spurs TV market when it comes to NBA broadcast rights. While it is no match for the potential financial benefits of owning an LA team, a San Antonio team isn't as crazy as it sounds if it is possible to have people try out the local team in favor of the Cowboys. Plus with the Raiders being an AFC team, fans on the fence about abandoning the Cowboys might be willing to support a 2nd team since they would only go head to head once every 4 years.

Ultimately I see the Raiders staying in the bay area, but I can see how a potential central texas team could work. Texas' population is still growing very rapidly.

I seem to recall a proposal regarding the MLB but it's also brought up for MLS and football of possibly building a stadium further up IH-35 between San Antonio and Austin as a "shared market" stadium. It was one of the reasons why they considered building the AT&T Center in Northeast San Antonio since it would get folks from Austin more easily. I really couldn't go for something like that (at least for football) since it would completely ruin the marquee status that the Alamodome is barely hanging onto.

GR30a5H.png

Buying sports teams is a good way to completely switch industries if your current one will be illegal in five years.

This explains the high-frequency trading maven buying the Florida Panthers, to the extent that anything explains buying the Florida Panthers.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

No offense but was there a time when the alamodome was marquee? It was an outdated hanger with seats the day it opened.

Hence the "barely hanging onto" remark. But at the very least having the Alamo Bowl helps, it's had a strong home crowd for UTSA, it's been a great location for soccer matches, and it WAS a favorite for the NCAA Final Four before it got, well, outdated.

And yes I'm struggling but can't help but have a soft spot.

GR30a5H.png

No offense but was there a time when the alamodome was marquee? It was an outdated hanger with seats the day it opened.

If the Alamodome is a "marquee" venue, then Sam Bradford is an "elite" quarterback.

drwhorain_zps02cf7b93.gif

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And the notion that the NFL itself might build a stadium and lease it to one or two teams is a fascinating preposterous one.

There. FTFY. There's absolutely no way the NFL does this, and for several reasons. Besides, they've had nearly two decades to do something like this and have never broached the topic seriously, so there's no reason to think it's in the offing.

That is true! And touching on the fact that there's a lot of Cowboys' fans in San Antonio, I'm not sure Jerry Jones would let a team be moved there without making any noise about it. As someone said, they would need to succeed right away to keep fans in the stands.

The extent of Jerry Jones' ability to prevent San Antonio from getting an NFL franchise legally ends 75 miles from the Dallas city limits. And while he could no doubt persuade some owners that having a team in San Antonio isn't in the NFL's best interests, they wouldn't stop such a move by the Raiders because it would immediately spark in another "Davis v. NFL" anti-trust lawsuit... and it's another one that the "Davis" party would win.

nav-logo.png

And the notion that the NFL itself might build a stadium and lease it to one or two teams is a fascinating preposterous one.

There. FTFY. There's absolutely no way the NFL does this, and for several reasons. Besides, they've had nearly two decades to do something like this and have never broached the topic seriously, so there's no reason to think it's in the offing.

Well, if you're going to say there are "several reasons", you might as well list at least one. ;)

And you can't use prior behavior as any indication of what they might do next - NFL leadership (both the Commissioner and the owners themselves) turn over every so often, and the new ones are hardly beholden to the preferences of their predecessors. Goodell is not Tagliabue who was himself not Rozelle.

Besides, "They've never done ____" holds only until they do it. Every change in policy requires a first time, be it regular season games in England or two-tone helmets in Jacksonville. There was no particular reason to believe any of those were "in the offing" until they were.

Well, if you're going to say there are "several reasons", you might as well list at least one. ;)

And you can't use prior behavior as any indication of what they might do next - NFL leadership (both the Commissioner and the owners themselves) turn over every so often, and the new ones are hardly beholden to the preferences of their predecessors. Goodell is not Tagliabue who was himself not Rozelle.

Besides, "They've never done ____" holds only until they do it. Every change in policy requires a first time, be it regular season games in England or two-tone helmets in Jacksonville. There was no particular reason to believe any of those were "in the offing" until they were.

1. Doing this, even through a subsidiary entity, would almost certainly kill its tax-exempt 501©(6) status.

2. Building a stadium and acting as its landlord in Los Angeles would set a precedent which would kill the likelihood of public financing of stadia in other cities. "You did it in L.A. Do it in (insert market here)" would be the reaction of every municipality (Oakland, St. Louis and San Diego immediately come to mind).

3. It would also set a precedent which would be to the direct benefit of one (or two) franchises, which the other 30 (or 31) would either attempt to replicate or, failing that, lord over those who move.

4. It wouldn't be financially feasible unless they could somehow fill not just the 40 or so dates they'd use the facility for football (figuring that they put two franchises in it, with each having a home date throughout the preseason and regular season), but roughly a third out of every year.

5. It would necessitate an up-front investment upward of $3 billion (I don't care what estimates some are throwing around, an L.A. based stadium's going to run $3 billion), and I can't see team owners being willing to part with a chunk of their revenue (or the NFLPA letting them, for that matter) that would, even for two years, put a huge dent in their bottom line (and the salary cap).

nav-logo.png

Hence the "barely hanging onto" remark. But at the very least having the Alamo Bowl helps, it's had a strong home crowd for UTSA, it's been a great location for soccer matches, and it WAS a favorite for the NCAA Final Four before it got, well, outdated.

And yes I'm struggling but can't help but have a soft spot.

So is it safe to equate the Alamodome to the current U.S. Cellular Field Comiskey Park, in that these stadiums were built in the 1990s and are now considered to be horribly outdated* for the times?

*as said by billionaire plutocrats

Pretty much, yeah. It's totally serviceable but it lacks the amenities that NFL teams "need" these days. I wouldn't have a problem with the Raiders, or any other team, playing there but in terms of what NFL teams demand out of their stadiums? It's a short term solution at best.

Bon Jovi's letter to Bills fans:

Recently, there has been a lot of speculation about the future of the Buffalo Bills and questions surrounding the ownership group of which I am a part. Until now, we have not said anything publicly out of respect for Mr. Wilson, his family and the process they are undertaking to identify the right group to carry the franchise forward.

However, there has been a lot of conjecture, so we think it’s important to clarify our intentions to the fans of the team and people of Buffalo.
Our objective is simple: to carry on the legacy of Ralph Wilson and make the Bills successful in Buffalo.
We are committed to working with the State, City, County and business community to identify the best possible site in the Buffalo area for a new stadium and to then develop and implement a plan to finance and build a state-of-the-art NFL stadium for the loyal Bills fans.
Being part of the NFL is something I have been working toward for a long time. Ten years ago, I started by taking an expansion Arena Football team, the Philadelphia Soul, from its inception to winning a championship in five years. I wanted to learn what it takes to build a successful football organization. I was involved in every aspect of that team from its beginning and I lived for and loved every moment.
My family and I are prepared to make this life-changing commitment to be part of the Bills. This is not a hobby or an acquisition. Building a winner on and off the field will be job one and I intend to spend as much time on the ground in Buffalo as needed to accomplish that goal.
I know how much the Bills mean to the people of this region. So I want you to hear this from me: I’m not risking it all to let you down. If we are given the chance to be the next owners of the Buffalo Bills, I promise you that we will bring the same passion that you do every Sunday, every day.

Bon Jovi's letter to Bills fans:

Recently, there has been a lot of speculation about the future of the Buffalo Bills and questions surrounding the ownership group of which I am a part. Until now, we have not said anything publicly out of respect for Mr. Wilson, his family and the process they are undertaking to identify the right group to carry the franchise forward.

However, there has been a lot of conjecture, so we think it’s important to clarify our intentions to the fans of the team and people of Buffalo.
Our objective is simple: to carry on the legacy of Ralph Wilson and make the Bills successful in Buffalo.
We are committed to working with the State, City, County and business community to identify the best possible site in the Buffalo area for a new stadium and to then develop and implement a plan to finance and build a state-of-the-art NFL stadium for the loyal Bills fans.
Being part of the NFL is something I have been working toward for a long time. Ten years ago, I started by taking an expansion Arena Football team, the Philadelphia Soul, from its inception to winning a championship in five years. I wanted to learn what it takes to build a successful football organization. I was involved in every aspect of that team from its beginning and I lived for and loved every moment.
My family and I are prepared to make this life-changing commitment to be part of the Bills. This is not a hobby or an acquisition. Building a winner on and off the field will be job one and I intend to spend as much time on the ground in Buffalo as needed to accomplish that goal.
I know how much the Bills mean to the people of this region. So I want you to hear this from me: I’m not risking it all to let you down. If we are given the chance to be the next owners of the Buffalo Bills, I promise you that we will bring the same passion that you do every Sunday, every day.

Here's all this had to say, but strangely enough, didn't: "If successful in acquiring the Buffalo Bills, they will remain the Buffalo Bills, period."

nav-logo.png

Archived