NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

Has San Antonio come through with money to make those Alamodome upgrades? Because until they do, it's just wishful thinking.

The Texans and Cowboys will have something to say about San Antonio, no?

No.

The NFL itself couldn't prevent Davis from moving before, why should two teams be able to veto a move now?

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has San Antonio come through with money to make those Alamodome upgrades? Because until they do, it's just wishful thinking.

Would updates really be needed if it's just a temporary home until a new stadium is built?

No.

The NFL itself couldn't prevent Davis from moving before, why should two teams be able to veto a move now?

Technically speaking San Antonio is independent of the Dallas and Houston markets. I'm sure it's beyond the range of either of their vetoes. They can vote against it but their approval wouldn't be needed.

The majority of the dollar figures were redacted, but part of the $27+M which the consultants said were needed for the Alamodome included:

Locker Room upgrades

Additional concession points of sale

Turf which meets the new NFL standards

Media/Press Box upgrades

Power/Energy upgrades

Roadways (Ingress/Egress)

Greater ADA compliance

A “build out” of 14 suites to be $1.8 million, the construction of an additional 44 suites to be $6 million, and the addition of a new sound system to be $3.5 million. Those were talked about in a January report after the Alamodome was not chosen as host for the College Football Playoff title game.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/pro-sports/article/City-documents-show-extensive-work-on-Raiders-deal-5684807.php

Erie County Executive pushes back against NFL

Helloooooo, Niagara County. I feel like they could end up being the Glendale of Western New York.

Don't they already play outside of Buffalo? I think they're in Orchard Park.
Erie County is where Buffalo is located. It's about the size of Rhode Island. Because the team is already outside of Buffalo, the Erie County Executive is the head local official to deal with the Bills. Niagara County is smaller and poorer, just north of Buffalo/Erie County. I could see the state goading them to make a horrific deal for a new stadium up there.

IIRC, Jerry Jones actually came out in favor of the Saints moving to San Antonio in '05.

Yeah, the worst the existing Texas teams could do on their own is make the vote 29-2 with the Raiders abstention. They could pursuade others to vote against it perhaps, but not enough to block the move unless they could prove overall harm to the league (which they couldn't). And frankly, most NFL owners would see San Antonio as a superior fit for the Raiders, given its past history with them in... and their long term ideal situation for... the Los Angeles market.

nav-logo.png

IIRC, Jerry Jones actually came out in favor of the Saints moving to San Antonio in '05.

Yeah, the worst the existing Texas teams could do on their own is make the vote 29-2 with the Raiders abstention. They could pursuade others to vote against it perhaps, but not enough to block the move unless they could prove overall harm to the league (which they couldn't). And frankly, most NFL owners would see San Antonio as a superior fit for the Raiders, given its past history with them in... and their long term ideal situation for... the Los Angeles market.

I totally agree, and I could care less if the Raiders move. I'm just here to inform the curious that the Alamodome is a terrible facility. I think dfwabel's estimates were too kind.

newsig.jpg

No article that suggests Trump is in the running should be taken all that seriously.

Even if Trump was serious about his bid, which he isn't, and even if he could find partners to come up with the money, which is uncertain, he'd never pass the NFL's vetting process.

Welcoming someone who dabbles in racism and radical politics isn't good for business. The NFL is too smart (or cautious) for that.

Trump would be denied entrance into the (mostly) boys' club moreso for his failures with the USFL than any perceived "radical" political or racism dabble. Though it's about 50/50, the guy has donated more to Democrat campaigns and causes than Republican campaigns and causes in the last 25 years.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

No article that suggests Trump is in the running should be taken all that seriously.

Even if Trump was serious about his bid, which he isn't, and even if he could find partners to come up with the money, which is uncertain, he'd never pass the NFL's vetting process.

Welcoming someone who dabbles in racism and radical politics isn't good for business. The NFL is too smart (or cautious) for that.

His bid was accepted by the trust, so (on paper) he's a legitimate bidder just like everyone else and a paper has a duty to report on him IMO. Now, if the article was assessing the likelihood of particular bidders winning, then I'd agree with you.

Edit: and he must have at least something close to the money he's claiming... the bank was hired, in part, to vet the bidders. If they accepted his bid, then either he's got some money or the bank completely failed one of its major tasks it was hired for.

LOL. Yes, we know you hate Trump. And he's an :censored: who has failed as much as he succeeded. But "in favor of corporate tax breaks, but socially liberal" is hardly radical politics.

"Social liberal" might have described Trump a decade ago. Before he decided that he could ride the Tea Party to... more money, I guess.

But whether he actually believes in their politics or not, he's very deliberately bathing himself in both racism and radicalism. The NFL won't touch him with a ten-meter cattle prod.

LOL. Yes, we know you hate Trump. And he's an :censored: who has failed as much as he succeeded. But "in favor of corporate tax breaks, but socially liberal" is hardly radical politics.

"Social liberal" might have described Trump a decade ago. Before he decided that he could ride the Tea Party to... more money, I guess.

But whether he actually believes in their politics or not, he's very deliberately bathing himself in both racism and radicalism. The NFL won't touch him with a ten-meter cattle prod.

And that's your opinion. Strange how it went from a "dabble" to " very deliberately bathing" in a matter of minutes. Hopefully someone other than the Daily Kos agrees.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Look, I'm a Republican. I'd love for the Tea Party to be rescued from its racist element. But fools like Trump deliberately inflame that for their own ends.

But to keep that on-topic, does anyone think the NFL would let one of the foremost remaining Birthers into their club?

hahaha okay

Also, Gothamite is apparently an Aaron Sorkin-penned strawman now. "I think conservatives are the devil and I'm a Republican!" was a favorite West Wing trick. The Newsroom, too, actually!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yes, I came out of the closet on these boards as a Republican years ago. Although admittedly, I keep switching to Independent when the national party pisses me off, then back to the fold when I want to vote in a GOP primary.

Has nobody here noticed that I tend to be a traditionalist? ;)

But hey, if you lack a substantive response, attacking the poster is always a sure winner. :P

It's disingenuous, that's all. I, too, used to be more conservative than I am now, but the world has changed around me and so have I. I can't call myself a Republican, though. They don't speak for me and never will again. They've been reduced to a lunatic fringe while the Democratic Party has become a fumigation tent that has been made to stand for everything and thus stands for nothing.

But that's enough politics. The point is that the NFL cares about the transfer of money, particularly from us to them, more than anything else, and with the rogues' gallery of owners they have now, I have a hard time believing they would turn down Donald Trump's money if he were to win the bidding process (which he won't). It's especially preposterous to say that the NFL has too much of a moral high ground for Donald Trump when the man most likely to buy the Buffalo Bills is someone who raised the money to do so by causing our planet to cave in on itself and poison people's drinking water.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's not disingenuous, it's a statement of fact.

As I said, I keep re-upping my party membership. Even though that's mostly because New York has closed primaries.

Truth be told, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama have moved the Democrats so far to the center that they occupy the territory that the GOP used to own. They are Atwater's "big tent" in practice. And my party has, in turn, abandoned the center for the lunatic fringe. But just as I can't drop my Brewers just because they have hideous uniforms, I can't quite find it in my heart to break with the party of my youth.

If I call myself a Republican, it's less a statement of attachment to the ugliness that has come to mean, and more that I want to reclaim the label for sanity. The sooner we drive self-serving dog-whistle clowns like Trump out, the better.

But enough about me. As for the NFL, they turned down Limbaugh's money. And I'm quite sure he has more than Trump. Given the backlash to their most recent spate of tone-deaf moves, I'd be stunned if they jumped into bed with a Birther.

Archived