NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

Better the raiders go to Toronto than back to LA. I and the majority of the Los Angeles population will become borderline suicidal if the raiders announce they come back here. Trust me most people here don't want them back.

Must've taken you a long time to ask 18 million people what they think.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better the raiders go to Toronto than back to LA. I and the majority of the Los Angeles population will become borderline suicidal if the raiders announce they come back here. Trust me most people here don't want them back.

Exactly. The Raiders are still very popular here.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

They're actually the most polarizing option of all the potential NFL relocants. Either you die hard with this team and its identity, or you flat out despise the Raiders and all they stand for. If that franchise does come back to LA, the only newbie indoctrant fans are those who had family and friends stand up for the original Los Angeles Raiders of the 1980s/1990s. Casual fans will steer away from the Raiders.

The Rams are more likable in Los Angeles, for their history, colors and their tame image compared to the Raiders. But their following in SoCal is minuscule compared to the swaths of Raider fans here (especially considering the bitterness of Georgia Froniterre never going away).

We should probably alert Roger Goodell to masterchaoss's highly scientific study. Sounds like rabbits and turtles might count as double, which could be a problem.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

They're actually the most polarizing option of all the potential NFL relocants. Either you die hard with this team and its identity, or you flat out despise the Raiders and all they stand for. If that franchise does come back to LA, the only newbie indoctrant fans are those who had family and friends stand up for the original Los Angeles Raiders of the 1980s/1990s. Casual fans will steer away from the Raiders.

The Rams are more likable in Los Angeles, for their history, colors and their tame image compared to the Raiders. But their following in SoCal is minuscule compared to the swaths of Raider fans here (especially considering the bitterness of Georgia Froniterre never going away).

Which is why you bring both the Raiders and Rams. Cater to all demographics.

And you watch, that's exactly what they'll do.

Did the Rams ever play in LA, or were they always an Anaheim team? If the latter, would a move to LA bring back the Anaheim fans or would they be starting fresh and have to recruit fans from LA and the surrounding region? I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that their fanbase was primarily Anaheim based and not really regional.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

They played in the L.A. Coliseum up through the early '80s, at which time the wife of the owner who died under mysterious circumstances moved them to Anaheim Stadium. Attendance dropped, as planned.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Did the Rams ever play in LA, or were they always an Anaheim team? If the latter, would a move to LA bring back the Anaheim fans or would they be starting fresh and have to recruit fans from LA and the surrounding region? I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that their fanbase was primarily Anaheim based and not really regional.

As someone who lived in LA for parts of the 80s and early 90s, I remember the fanbase as being very widespread. That's why the move to Anaheim hurt them, making the car journey that much more cumbersome for most fans.

And you watch, that's exactly what they'll do.

Plus it'll give both Fox and CBS access to the massive LA market, equally.

I read that a LA reporter for its CBS affiliate talked to some people who work for the Public Work in Inglewood and they said they're "95% positive the Rams will be in Inglewood in 2015" (paraphrasing the quote a bit). I can't find the link as I'm in phone and the quote was from Twitter so take it with a grain of salt.

Also from the twitter verse, I read that someone who has a family member who is a "high ranking Rams official says the Rams have a 2 year lease with the Rose Bowl or Coliseum set to begin in the 2015." Again, because it was from twitter I'm less inclined to believe it, but the only thing that gives it any credibility is that there was an article from the LA Times (someone posted it in this thread already) that said the Rose Bowl would be willing to lease out the stadium for an NFL team while their stadium is being built.

Again I cannot confirm if any of it is true. This could be as fake as a flying, naked, mole rat-unicorn giving life seminars to people for $500 a person.

Inglewood means the land that Kroenke owns, right? Ain't no way they can open a stadium there for the 2017 season. I don't know how "shovel ready" the other two stadium plans are, but a new plan would probably take a year or two to get approved on top of two or three years of construction.

Yes it is. Any stadium in Inglewood would most likely not be ready by 2017, which is why I'm not taking that quote seriously.

The Farmer's Field plan, in what is now the west end of the convention center right next to Staples, is shovel ready right now.

And I don't know much about the City of Industry stadium except that the NFL does not like that plan.

Also from the twitter verse, I read that someone who has a family member who is a "high ranking Rams official says the Rams have a 2 year lease with the Rose Bowl or Coliseum set to begin in the 2015." Again, because it was from twitter I'm less inclined to believe it, but the only thing that gives it any credibility is that there was an article from the LA Times (someone posted it in this thread already) that said the Rose Bowl would be willing to lease out the stadium for an NFL team while their stadium is being built.

I can confirm that there's no lease in place regarding Los Angeles for 2015, involving any NFL member club.

Franchise relocations in the NFL are a multi-step process from a legal perspective. Signing a lease for a stadium facility is somewhere around Step 436. No one's taken Step 2 yet.

The Farmer's Field plan, in what is now the west end of the convention center right next to Staples, is shovel ready right now.

If there is to be a new stadium in the market between now and 2020, this will be the only plan that could be executed and bring the NFL back.

nav-logo.png

The City of Industry plan was shovel-ready at one point, but I don't know if it still is today. The NFL didn't particularly like it, but it was ready to go.

I bet the NFL would prefer the Farmers Field site over Inglewood, for the "downtown glitz" and the possible synergy of folding in television studios and all, but if Silent Stan makes his site happen they won't stop it.

I'm more concerned with poor freeway access to Hollywood Park than I am a lack of glitz. It's going to take a lot of infrastructural improvements to get 70,000 people in and out of that site. I'm not crazy about Farmers Field or the idea of playing football at a convention hall that is also a football stadium. I'd rather see an actual football stadium, even if it's all the way out in Inglewooooood.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived