NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

1... the Rams aren't moving. At least, not for 2015.

How do I know this?

If they were moving back to Los Angeles for 2015, they'd have to either have a deal in place for a place to play, or at least be negotiating earnestly for one, right now. There are three, and only three, sites the NFL would allow them to go to, even on a temporary basis: Anaheim Stadium, the Rose Bowl, or the L.A. Coliseum. Each of the three are owned/operated by entities with governing boards (be it a city council, a Board of Trustees, or whatever). There is no way anything would be kept quiet for any period of time if negotiations were going on, let alone consummated.

You don't think the private company that runs the Rose Bowl can keep negotiations a secret?

Besides, the City of Pasadena has been telegraphing for over a year that they're planning on hosting extra events, including more football games. They've commissioned at least two environmental studies on the impact that would have on the surrounding community.

This is pretty much what I was going to point out.

Also with keeping the negotiations a secret, if they are in fact taking place or have already taken place, it's not hard to believe they (meaning the company who operates the Rose Bowl) are contractually obligated to NOT release/leak any information.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see the Raiders moving to LA, especially since they seem to only have eyes for San Antonio. If an AFC team moves, it'll probably be the Chargers.

The Raiders still have lines of communication open with LA, so they don't "only have eyes for San Antonio". In fact they have eyes for anyone who will build them a stadium. And if AEG is the one to do that and purchase the Raiders they very easily could end up in LA. And it could be very quick ultimately as soon as next season. Same with the Rams. And if these rumblings we're getting out of player agents and the like are to be believed it's really a two team, two horse race to get a team into LA between the Raiders and Rams. AEG buying and moving or at least facilitating the Raiders who are at a dead end in Oakland, or Kroenke moving the Rams to Inglewood. Either one could use the Rose Bowl at least temporarily.

The Chargers aren't going anywhere until at least 2017 since they're planning on putting a stadium on the ballot in San Diego in 2016 and they're just starting to put all that together.

How do I know this?

If they were moving back to Los Angeles for 2015, they'd have to either have a deal in place for a place to play, or at least be negotiating earnestly for one, right now. There are three, and only three, sites the NFL would allow them to go to, even on a temporary basis: Anaheim Stadium, the Rose Bowl, or the L.A. Coliseum. Each of the three are owned/operated by entities with governing boards (be it a city council, a Board of Trustees, or whatever). There is no way anything would be kept quiet for any period of time if negotiations were going on, let alone consummated.

You don't think the private company that runs the Rose Bowl can keep negotiations a secret?

Besides, the City of Pasadena has been telegraphing for over a year that they're planning on hosting extra events, including more football games. They've commissioned at least two environmental studies on the impact that would have on the surrounding community.

Do I think they can? No, honestly. But I could certainly be wrong.

I will say this much: if the Rams do move for 2015, the Raiders or Chargers will be there the following year.

nav-logo.png

How do I know this?

The Rose Bowl Operating Company is public. Members are nominated by the city council and it includes the City Manager.

2015 is a mayoral election year for Pasadena and the number of events is an issue now (see link below)

FYI, for 2014 there are 18 displacement events scheduled at the Rose Bowl. City Ordinance sets the limit of displacement events at 12 per year, but the City Council in-conjunction with stadium board/officials can add more.

Yeah, but what about merchandise and the lot?

They still might sell more stuff at the holidays if people in St. Louis believe they'll be in town next year. Unless they're counting on lots of jersey sales in Southern California to make up the difference?

The timing just seems odd for a deliberate leak.

Most St Louis holiday sales will be of the "St. Louis Cardinals 2014 playoff run" variety anyway...

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How do I know this?

The Rose Bowl Operating Company is public. Members are nominated by the city council and it includes the City Manager.

2015 is a mayoral election year for Pasadena and the number of events is an issue now (see link below)

FYI, for 2014 there are 18 displacement events scheduled at the Rose Bowl. City Ordinance sets the limit of displacement events at 12 per year, but the City Council in-conjunction with stadium board/officials can add more.

I gladly stand corrected.

I will rephrase: You don't think the hand-picked people who run the Rose Bowl can keep negotiations a secret?

These rumors are interesting but very unsurprising because we still don't officially know what his Hollywood Park land is after at least 6(?) months. (I think it was in January, but maybe I can't remember right)

I usually take leaks with a grain of salt. However the grains are starting to pile up.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Yeah, but what about merchandise and the lot?

They still might sell more stuff at the holidays if people in St. Louis believe they'll be in town next year. Unless they're counting on lots of jersey sales in Southern California to make up the difference?

The timing just seems odd for a deliberate leak.

Most St Louis holiday sales will be of the "St. Louis Cardinals 2014 playoff run" variety anyway...

As well they ought to be.

This will be the second time in 30 years that the NFL has left St. Louis because St. Louis wouldn't build it a new stadium. In between, St. Louis had regret and built the damn stadium with the sweetest lease in sports, and after a mere 20 seasons, they'll be leaving again. And what makes me the saddest is that many in St. Louis will blame local politicians and long for one more chance from the NFL.

I'm not sure why St. Louis would ever want to associate itself with such an organization ever again.

It's not just about the big bad NFL running roughshod over poor St. Louis. The city knew full well what it was getting into, and was eager to lure teams from other cities. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

The fanbase will also share some of the blame. If the Rams weren't so obviously the little brother in town, then the politicians might feel a little more pressure to keep them. As it stands, St. Louis has failed to show that it's the kind of market the NFL really needs. And fair enough, it's a legitimate (even admirable) choice, but don't then complain about the consequences of having made it.

I concur that the politicians who made the original deal made a very poor decisions.

The fan base is entirely without blame, however. As are the politicians currently in place. I'm not complaining about the NFL leaving, anyways. I'm complaining about the many fans who will still want it to return.

How do I know this?

I gladly stand corrected.

I will rephrase: You don't think the hand-picked people who run the Rose Bowl can keep negotiations a secret?

"No."

Next question... :D

nav-logo.png

St. Louis doesn't need the NFL, the NFL doesn't need St. Louis, the world doesn't need the Jones Dome, let's move on.

This seems to be true. Although the Cardinals need no help, this would only strengthen the Blues.

Quite the two-team town if this comes to pass.

Not convinced L.A. needs two teams and it really should be the Raiders if it's only one IMO, but if STLFANATIC is jumping ship after all these years... hard to believe the smoke isn't attached to fire.

The Raiders are dead in Oakland and I don't see Santa Clara or San Antonio as a real options. Mark Davis can sell majority the team to AEG or whomever and let it go to Los Angeles. Mark lives most of the time in L.A. anyways.

Please Raiders, go to San Antonio. We don't want you.

You guys may be getting your wish. At least you're getting closer. Reports are out this morning that Mark Davis has commissioned feasibility studies for the San Antonio market. That's the next step in the NFL's written Relocation Policy, which was adopted after the lawsuit between his father and the NFL.

So while many may be speculating about the Rams going to L.A. with no evidence to that effect, the Raiders are preparing for a move to San Antonio out in the open, following the NFL's policy for doing so to the letter, and no one's taking it seriously.

nav-logo.png

The Raiders are dead in Oakland and I don't see Santa Clara or San Antonio as a real options. Mark Davis can sell majority the team to AEG or whomever and let it go to Los Angeles. Mark lives most of the time in L.A. anyways.

Please Raiders, go to San Antonio. We don't want you.

You guys may be getting your wish. At least you're getting closer. Reports are out this morning that Mark Davis has commissioned feasibility studies for the San Antonio market. That's the next step in the NFL's written Relocation Policy, which was adopted after the lawsuit between his father and the NFL.

So while many may be speculating about the Rams going to L.A. with no evidence to that effect, the Raiders are preparing for a move to San Antonio out in the open, following the NFL's policy for doing so to the letter, and no one's taking it seriously.

Doesn't hurt to provide links to those reports. We like to read them here.

I found WOAI Newsradio 1200's "exclusive" on the topic:

http://m.woai.com/articles/woai-local-news-sponsored-by-five-119078/exclusive-raiders-now-conducting-economic-study-12813288/

The winless Oakland Raiders may stink, but the chances are still alive that they could be stinking in San Antonio.

Heh.

Raiders owner Mark Davis and other team executives have attended several UTSA games in the dome, to see whether it is capable of hosting NFL football.

"They've seen the crowds, they've seen the tailgating, they have seen the operations and they have been completely taken aback at how well everything is run," Perez said. "So hurdle one...solved."

They also say at the bottom that it's "the longest of longshots." So even the media reporting it isn't taking it too seriously when it comes right down to it.

But you are right that they are still going through the process and we should keep an eye on it.

Archived