NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

The Raiders are dead in Oakland and I don't see Santa Clara or San Antonio as a real options. Mark Davis can sell majority the team to AEG or whomever and let it go to Los Angeles. Mark lives most of the time in L.A. anyways.

Exactly. Mark is starting to realize he can't own the team. He doesn't have the money to do anything being the Raiders are his only asset so he can't pay for a new stadium or even a decent team. And on top of that he's got no clue what he's doing managing the franchise either. If he sells the majority to AEG the Anschutz folks can rehabilitate his team's image, infuse it with cash, etc... and still keep Mark on as a minority owner with a luxury suite and practice access which is really all he seems to want or need. San Antonio really seems to be nothing more than his last ditch attempt to get Oakland to shell out for something they can't afford. When that fails which will be this winter, he'll fall into Uncle Phil's warm embrace and relocate to LA.

It's really a race between bowl cut and Kroenke.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's really a race between bowl cut and Kroenke.

I suspect that the Raiders are going to lose that one, as well.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if they end up as lodgers in Stan's house.

And honestly I don't think they'd mind. The Raiders are still very popular in the greater LA area, more popular in fact than they are in the Bay Area. So they'll take it as long as they don't have to pay much for it. Because it's really the only thing they'll get. SA is never happening thanks to Jerry Jones and the NFL lodge. And Oakland isn't happening due to simple economics.

I'm still not sure I've seen a convincing argument for two teams in a market that's been dormant for 20 years. Is there really the demand for that?

It has the population needed to support two teams, as the other three "big four" show. It would also please the league's television partners to have one team from each of the country's two largest media markets in each conference.

For all this talk about how something would have gotten out already if the Rams were headed back, I still somehow kind of doubt that. Sports moguls must have taken to meeting in the war room for Dr. Strangelove lately, because in spite of everyone telling everything to Gawker Media, big stuff isn't getting out like it used to. With little to no leakage, the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg, the Braves got a park in Cobb County, and the NHL sold the Coyotes again. It's totally possible that arrangements have been made in secret. Nothing surprises me anymore.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm still not sure I've seen a convincing argument for two teams in a market that's been dormant for 20 years. Is there really the demand for that?

It has the population needed to support two teams, as the other three "big four" show. It would also please the league's television partners to have one team from each of the country's two largest media markets in each conference.
The TV deal isn't really the NFC-AFC split of yesteryear. Plenty of "Flex" dates are built in, every network has a piece, and in the case of CBS even moreso with the addition of Thursday night. FOX can even steal a CBS game and vice versa.

If it was simply market math, wouldn't a third team in New York be up there, too?

And it still doesn't address the accepted dormamcy of two decades. It's not quite the traveling Nordiques fans and grassroots soccer supporters that demand to be heard and/or seen.

One would no doubt be a huge success. But why not let that success dictate that a second is needed?

Even with the changing tv contracts and constant interleague play, there is still very much an AFC and NFC. Your hypothetical third New York team would have a hard niche to fill, given that there's already one team in each (I would suggest only the "Brooklyn _____s" would be able to gain any real traction).

But Los Angeles... there's an opportunity for two clubs to carve out part of the marketplace with a relative lack of overlap. One could market a rivalry with San Francisco, the other with San Diego. One would have the opportunity to more regularly face the Saints and Packers, the other the Steelers and Patriots. Not an inconsequential factor.

If it was simply market math, wouldn't a third team in New York be up there, too?

Where would a third New York team play? You'd have to do something stupid like have the new team play every home game on Thursday night (Roger Goodell's wet dream).

It would need to be a new stadium, just like L.A. needs. Not arguing in favor of a third team in New York. Just saying that market size can't be the sole reason that an L.A. stadium with 2 teams > Santa Clara stadium with 2 teams. The x-factor being that it's been a dormant market for 20 years.

Plus, the league of Green Bay is certainly not all about market size. But one team needs to be in L.A. Just not sure two do.

If the league wants to get this right, they won't let a bunch of scoundrels and idiots get to make the big return. Hang in there, OAKLAND Raiders. Let the Rams have Los Angeles back.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived