NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

I don't think AEG actually can own the Rams. But Anschutz himself, could.

Why couldn't AEG own them?

Also if true that the Rams are in their sights it lends credence to the idea the Raiders will be right behind them.

Ummm....why? League rules bar anybody from owning/having a stake in more than 1 team.
A corporation could change CEOs every six months. People are usually more durable.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also if true that the Rams are in their sights it lends credence to the idea the Raiders will be right behind them.

Ummm....why? League rules bar anybody from owning/having a stake in more than 1 team.
A corporation could change CEOs every six months. People are usually more durable.
I was responding to the second part. IIRC most "Raiders to LA" scenarios involve them being the team AEG buys a stake in.
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I was responding to the second part. IIRC most "Raiders to LA" scenarios involve them being the team AEG buys a stake in.

I think if the Raiders are the second team to LA, you could see a scenario where they're not sold. It still wouldn't be the smart scenario, but for Davis, it'd be a workable one. He can't afford to build his own stadium — anywhere. But if someone else has already built one, he could move his team there and pay rent for it. So if Anschutz/AEG somehow had purchased a majority share in another team, be it the Rams, Chargers, someone else, or expansion (not saying any of this makes a lot of sense), then maybe the Raiders just straight move in to their building.

That's my sense. The Raiders will let somebody else do the heavy lifting, then waltz in to secure a chunk of the market.

Problem is that if they're the other team in LA, the one that doesn't own the stadium or get any of its goodies, they'll be hamstrung. Add to that their general suckitude with no real hopes for a turnaround and not even their branding strength in the city will keep them from being the also-ran.

That's my sense. The Raiders will let somebody else do the heavy lifting, then waltz in to secure a chunk of the market.

Problem is that if they're the other team in LA, the one that doesn't own the stadium or get any of its goodies, they'll be hamstrung. Add to that their general suckitude with no real hopes for a turnaround and not even their branding strength in the city will keep them from being the also-ran.

As long as they're under Davis' control that's going to be their lot in life no matter where they end up. They're never going to be able to do the heavy lifting anywhere which means they're going to be someone's tenant somewhere unless it's AEG who buys them rather than the Rams.

For the second year in a row, the Rams are having attendance issues for Monday Night Football.

http://instagram.com/p/uHO1aaLV4d/

Steve Young was talking at length on the air about how many empty seats there are. And this year, they aren't directly up against a Cardinals World Series game.

I would think that this makes it harder for politicians to expend any political capital for stadium financing.

Games like this are an opportunity for fans to make a statement. I don't think this is what they wanted to say...

When Dick Vermeil thanked Stan Kroenke at halftime during a ceremony for the 1999 team, fans booed. That was the statement.

There is absolutely no onus on the fans to do anything, and you know it Goth. It's fishing for a reason to justify a move, just as the league will do. And you doing it reflects no better on you than it will on the Rams and the NFL or than it did on the Rams and the NFL when it was cited when they came to St. Louis in the first place.

The St. Louis Rams of the past decade are one of the worst teams ever known to the National Football League. That is not going to put butts in the seats. And it's as simple as that.

Then they'll deserve to lose their team. It's as simple as that.

You can sit out bad seasons to express your displeasure. But when your team is considering leaving town, sitting out becomes a very different choice. Fair enough - having an NFL team doesn't make you a superior city to any other. There's no moral component to it. If a coffee house doesn't have patrons, it goes out of business. If a city doesn't want its team, the team leaves. It won't be because of a stadium deal in the end, like Cleveland a couple decades ago, but for simple lack of interest. Again, fair enough. No judgment.

Please note that I never said the onus was on anyone. As a child of Brooklyn and Milwaukee, two cities still feeling the sting of decades-old relocation, I hate it. I'd make it damn-near impossible if I could. But what I did say is that games like this are an opportunity for the fans to make a statement. To the team, to the league, to the local politicians. WE WANT OUR TEAM TO STAY. Gives the pols a little goose to ensure they find a compromise, and the league pause to consider the bad PR a move would create.

The absence of such a statement is, of course, statement all its own. And St. Louis sure spoke loud and clear tonight. The NFL doesn't need to "fish" for an excuse to allow the move any more, if indeed they ever did; St. Louis has given them a great one.

Also, the Cards aren't playing tonight so no local competition, plus it's Monday Night against your most bitter rival. Unfortunately for St Louis I saw the majority of the lower bowl stand up and cheer when they showed the long Lloyd TD.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Is...that a Tom Brady jersey in the foreground? Christ the Best Fans in Baseball suck.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

For some stats with correct decimal points (or really just none at all), here's a sobering look at the two teams who draw the worst and who are most likely to move.

Worst record in the NFL over the last 10 seasons (2005-2014, 2014 in progress)

32. Oakland Raiders, 44-105-0

31. St. Louis Rams, 44-104-1

30. Detroit Lions, 48-102-0

(No other teams have lost 100 games in that span.)

Worst point differential in the NFL over the last 10 seasons (2005-2014, 2014 in progress)

32. St. Louis Rams, -1,116

31. Oakland Raiders, -1053

30. Cleveland Browns, -710

Look at that last one. Holy crap. Probably nothing is more illustrative of the level of football those two cities have been treated to in the past 10 years. Just unbelievably bad, and in a class by themselves.

The "woe is us" card would work better if the team wasn't struggling to fill the stadium less than five years after a trip to the Super Bowl.

Today, we are all otaku.

You're fond of saying that, but I simply disagree.

As you well know, the Rams went 13-3 in 1999 and won the Super Bowl. They went 10-6 in 2000 and lost in the WC game. In 2001, they went 14-2 and lost in the Super Bowl. And then things started trending down.

They went 7-9 in 2002. Rebounded to go 12-4 in 2003 but lost in the divisional playoff round. They haven't seen the better side of .500 since. In 2004 they were exactly .500, made the playoffs, won the WC round, lost in the division round, and haven't been back since.

In 2005, they dropped to 6-10 and Mike Martz was fired. It was the official recognition that they'd squandered what should have been a dynasty, and the turmoil that went along with that killed off a lot of excitement. Throughout this entire time, though, the Rams drew well.

In 2006 the Scott Linehan era began, and they still drew well. But after a 4-1 start, the team dropped 7 of 8. Though they won in the road in week 15, the fans were beat down, and the last home game of 2006 in week 16 was the first non-sellout in St. Louis Rams history. (And if you're skeptical about sales numbers, it was their first "butts in the seats" problem, too.) The Rams did win that and the last on the road to finish 8-8. This would be the last time the Rams have been .500.

That last home game of 2006 marked the exact beginning of Rams attendance problems. Shockingly, starting the 2007 season 0-8 and finishing 3-13 did not help things. The Rams went 2-14 in 2008 and fired their coach again.

The Steve Spagnuolo era began with a 1-15 season in 2009. Showed a little promise in 2010 with a 7-9 season, and then fell back to nothing in 2011 with a 2-14 season, and it was time for yet another coaching change. 2007-2011 marks the worst five-year stretch of football in NFL history.

And that brings us to the Jeff Fisher era, in which the Rams have gone 7-8-1 in 2012, 7-9 in 2013 including losing their starting QB to an ACL tear, and is off to a stellar 1-4 start in 2014 including losing their starting QB to an ACL tear. But attendance has improved (albeit slightly) in each of these years.

The Rams simply weren't good enough for long enough to cement a fan base (and they also sucked in every way at marketing themselves). But attendance didn't drop off overnight. There's clear points at which frustration is building, and then a clear point at which the decline started. But it was gradual. And, unfortunately, once it started, the Rams never did a thing positive on the field to stem the tide.

I mean, think about this. Following the point at which fans were frustrated enough to fall a few thousand fans short of a full house, the Rams went 6-42. Or tack two more years on and it's 15-65. I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised that a few thousand short of a capacity crowd would just get worse and worse and worse in that span.

It's not rocket science. A new fan base, exposed to a brief period of good ball, followed by a period of disappointing ball, followed by a long, long period of horrific ball is going to equal bad attendance. Anywhere and everywhere.

We've been down this road before, so I won't bicker, but I thought it was worth a more in-depth look than maybe has been taken before. It's all very logical.

Archived