duma

NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

You want fan reaction. What should the protest signs say? "Give the billionaire his money!"?

If the Rams are saying all the right things, the local columnist Burwell says something is in the works in St. Louis, but Florio and LaCanfora say they'd already be gone if not for the NFL, what do you want them to react to?

Not to mention there are protests of a different nature happening outside the Rams stadium right now.

I reread Florio's piece above, and after all the Rams move theories he spouts -- some outdated (ahem, Farmers Field) -- he throws water on the Burwell report by saying it could just be political posturing. And just what "could" all those rumors Florio just reported be?

I just don't see how Rams fans are supposed to know what reality is.

Things the Rams haven't said publicly:

1. How much of the new stadium they expect funded.

2. When they expect a deal to be done by.

3. What else they expect as part of the stadium development.

4. That they're considering other locations.

At this point all they've done is tell fans not to buy into media reports and that they're not talking to LA. They've essentially asked citizens to trust that this is being handled behind the scenes.

There's nothing specific for St. Louis to rally for. They can say "Save the Rams", but they don't know who they should be pressuring and what they ought to be pressuring them for.

You don't need to know precisely what's going on behind the scenes. When was the last time a fan protest concerned itself with the fine points of contract negotiations? Nobody's going to hold a sign saying "Reduce the Interest Rate on the Underlying Municipal Stadium Bonds to No Greater Than 4.875%!"

No, the point is to entice the governmental officials to get a deal done. Plus demonstrate to the NFL that they shouldn't allow Kroenke to give up on this market (I believe you yourself have stressed how NFL bylaws encourage teams to pursue all avenues before relocating, and any public shows of support can only help put some teeth behind that). If the city is considering any public action in those behind-the-scenes negotiations, they'll be emboldened by support from the public. If they're not, a strong showing might encourage them to change their position.

Show the league, the mayor, the county executive and the governor that people give a damn if the Rams leave town. Because by all accounts, that question is still very much up in the air.

If the city doesn't want their team, that's a fair choice. But it will be at least partly their choice.

But don't the owners normally stoke those fires themselves to get the perception of public support on their side and get the politicians panicking?

They're doing the shakedown all wrong... which, again, could just mean their minds are made up and they're leaving quietly. Or... there's more going on behind the scenes.

Really shortening this up on the third try to get this post through. The Rams have an apathetic fan base. I contend they're better than they get credit for, not that it's a great fan base. I do believe it's a good market, but those are different things. It still takes work to build a fan base in a good market. The Rams in their 20 years have failed in almost every way to build a loyal fan base. It doesn't happen just by existing. The Rams admit this.

So you have:

1. A bad 2014 product.

2. A historically bad product over most of their 20 years.

3. A request from the franchise to be calm and not panic over the stadium issue.

I think the lack of a mass movement is pretty understandable.

If you shrug and say "whatever the case, that's what's needed, and they seem to be out of luck," so be it. I don't agree, but that's fine.

They won a Superbowl within 5 years of being in their new city, underdog style at that. Then continued to be one of the most dynamic teams for another 5 seasons. What better way to build a fan base? Sure they've been absolute crap in the 10 years since, but that should've been enough for fans to latch on shouldn't it?

But don't the owners normally stoke those fires themselves to get the perception of public support on their side and get the politicians panicking?

Sometimes they do, I'm sure.

Just as I'm becoming sure that sometimes there isn't any public support to stoke in the first place.

I hate relocation. Which is why I believe in empowering the fans to fight against it. But if they don't want the team in the first place, that's also their choice.

You want fan reaction. What should the protest signs say? "Give the billionaire his money!"?

Cripes man. The "Rams to LA" rumour mill is going strong. A fanbase shouldn't need much more then that to start organizing "save our team" rallies. The fact that they aren't, and the attendance issues from Monday Night Football, would seem to indicate that there is no sizeable NFL fanbase in St. Louis.

I mean this isn't Pluto's Cave. We don't have to de-construct everything down here. The team's rumoured to be up for relocation. Fans don't react. Simple as that.

Cripes man. The "Rams to LA" rumour mill is going strong. A fanbase shouldn't need much more then that to start organizing "save our team" rallies. The fact that they aren't, and the attendance issues from Monday Night Football, would seem to indicate that there is no sizeable NFL fanbase in St. Louis.

I mean this isn't Pluto's Cave. We don't have to de-construct everything down here. The team's rumoured to be up for relocation. Fans don't react. Simple as that.

The problem with a lifetime of playing the Glad Game is that you lose the ability to understand that bad things can happen to you and recognize the warning signs.

Searched:

Save the Raiders: Story about coaches from September.

Save the Chargers: UT San Diego stories from August about convention center expansion.

Save the Rams: Facebook page called "Keep the Rams in St. Louis" with 16,000 fans. The next event is "Turn Arrowhead blue and gold" on Oct. 26. (Whoa, good luck with that.) :)

So... are Rams fans just better at SEO? I really didn't expect to find much, but this is what we are looking for, correct? Or at least the seeds of it?

Save the Rams: Facebook page called "Keep the Rams in St. Louis" with 16,000 fans. The next event is "Turn Arrowhead blue and gold" on Oct. 26. (Whoa, good luck with that.) :)

I actually see 19,000 likes, not 16.

But then there's "Bring Back the Los Angeles Rams", which has a mere 40,000.

Neither one means a whole lot about a fanbase; clicking a button is cheap and therefore meaningless (do we think LA is already more than twice as dedicated to the team as St Louis?). Traveling events and rallies are much better. I hope they can pull one off.

I actually see 19,000 likes, not 16.

But then there's "Bring Back the Los Angeles Rams", which has a mere 40,000.

Neither one means a whole lot about a fanbase; clicking a button is cheap and therefore meaningless (do we think LA is already more than twice as dedicated to the team as St Louis?). Traveling events and rallies are much better. I hope they can pull one off.

Oops. Thanks for the correction. Neither number is that impressive, I agree. Didn't know about the LA group, either, but Facebook isn't really my thing. I was just curious what was out there for each team.

Thought it was interesting that they were organizing an event across the state rather than in St. Louis. But I'm sure there's more to come.

The Ferguson protestors were going to "shut down" the Rams-Cowboys game a month ago, but they didn't make much noise until after last week's Seahawks game apparently.

I'm curious about the Kansas City event, too. Seems to me that it would be more effective (not to mention a whole lot easier) to stage a rally in St. Louis than to organize one 250 miles away.

British government wants an NFL team in London

LONDON (AP) -- The British government wants an NFL team based in London.

George Osborne, the British treasury chief, told the Evening Standard newspaper on Wednesday that the government will do whatever it can ''to make this happen.''

The NFL has been playing regular-season games at Wembley Stadium every year since 2007, and this season there are three games on the schedule. But they haven't yet announced any plans to put a team permanently in the British capital.

''We warmly welcome the chancellor's strong support for the possibility of an NFL team in London and look forward to welcoming him to a game at Wembley over the next few weeks,'' the NFL said in a statement. ''Our key priority is to continue to build our fan base in the U.K. so that there is strong demand for any future plans in London.''

''This is primarily a decision for the owners of the clubs and the NFL organization, but I've said to the NFL that anything the government can do to make this happen we will do, because I think it would be a huge boost to London,'' Osborne said.

The Jaguars also played at Wembley last year, losing to the San Francisco 49ers, and are slated to keep coming to London over the next two seasons. They are owned by Shahid Khan, who also owns English soccer club Fulham.

Because of Khan's plan to keep his franchise in the British sports fan's consciousness, the Jaguars have often been rumored as the most likely team to relocate to Britain.

Osborne, however, would not speculate on which team might pick up and move abroad.

''There are 32 teams in America - and one of them could be a London team. That's a serious prospect,'' Osborne said. ''It's not going to happen overnight but over the next few years. I just think it will cement London as a global sporting capital as well as a global financial and business and cultural capital.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/british-government-wants-nfl-team-london-173341205--nfl.html

Sure, the Treasury wants it.

But until international travel speeds are tripled, and they outlaw time zones, seems like a ludicrously bad idea to me.

But until international travel speeds are tripled, and they outlaw time zones, seems like a ludicrously bad idea to me.

I agree with you. So why doesn't Goodell see what we see?

Well, this Lions-Falcons game could be a pivotal point in determining if London gets a team or not. It's a never-been-tested kickoff time.

To me, I'd think that...should London get a team...that playing at 1pm ET benefits London because it'll be a nearly-primetime game for them (6pm kickoff there). But I'm thinking the NFL wants to see how responsive an early kickoff (well, 2:30pm in London time) fares in both London and in the US. I'm sure London would like to mimic an east-coast like football day (drink/tailgate in the morning, game at 1pm, then festivities in the parking lot after the game). And to US markets, we'll see how many folks will tune in for a 9:30am ET (or if you're brave enough, 6:30am PT) kickoff.

Because he's pursuing a different goal, I think.

Maybe he intends to leverage London the way they did LA (doubtful, since so few teams need stadiums now). Or maybe he just wants to keep raking in the cash they get from the "International Series" and all the merchandise sales they're seeing/hoping for in the UK. I honestly don't know. Perhaps they're hoping for some sort of European television deal they can fluff up with the hint of a promise of a team.

The basic logistics just don't support an actual team in London. And those don't appear to be changing anytime soon.

Searched:

Save the Raiders: Story about coaches from September.

Save the Chargers: UT San Diego stories from August about convention center expansion.

So... are Rams fans just better at SEO? I really didn't expect to find much, but this is what we are looking for, correct? Or at least the seeds of it?

FWIW, the Oakland grassroots efforts to save their teams is "Save Oakland Sports", as they are the ones who organize and attend government meetings and speak during the public forum portion.

I think the logistics thing is overblown. The NBA has seriously been researching putting (eventually) an entire division in Europe...with an 82 game schedule. Maybe that's not feasible but...a 16 game schedule for 1 team? It's doable.We live in a globalized world. There's far more amazing things going on in terms of economic interaction that require far greater logistics on a daily basis.