duma

NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

The LA race riot happened and soon afterwards the Rams skip town. Another race riot ignites in St. Louis's backyard and the Rams are (possibly) getting ready to move again.

So by this logic, the key to any NFL team relocating is a race riot occurring in the home market the year before the move? Funny; there weren't any race riots in Cleveland around 1993-1994. Not that I heard of...

I've thankfully never had to go through this, but what do fans typically do if their team moves? Do they continue following that team? Do they take on a new favorite? Or just stand pat and hope another comes along?

Obviously there's different circumstances, such as the Browns fans not latching onto the Ravens because they knew another team was coming.

But for example, what did Whalers fans do when they bolted for Carolina? Start rooting for the Rangers or Bruins?

For me, it would make a difference if they kept the identity after moving. If the Rams moved back to L.A., they'd still be Rams.

Even if they kept the Thrashers nickname, I wouldn't have cheered for them once they got to Winnipeg. They aren't MY team anymore. There's no civic pride. You don't have that 82-game connection to a team anymore. You don't go through the emotional ups-and-downs for the team. You don't get those 41 dates to see your hockey friends or hear the goal horn and all the ancillary parts that go on during the course of a game night.

This is the 4th season that the NHL's played since the Thrashers left. I find myself going to fewer games and not watching many games on television. I certainly don't keep up with the standings or stats daily, nor have I played Fantasy Hockey since. A few of us may go to a Nashville game and maybe even a St. Louis or Columbus game (I'll be pushing for Columbus because of Timbits), but that's about it.

It's easy to say "Well, just go to minor league games", but the excitement just isn't there ...going from 42+ NHL, top-of-the-talent-pool, best-players-in-the-world games to seeing ECHL talent is just not the same. The game is much slower and much sloppier.

I don't think there'd be one common reaction in St. Louis if the Rams moved.

There are plenty of St. Louis fans who kept their allegiance with the Cardinals when they skipped town. Some have since switched to the Rams, some still root for the Cardinals. Others were Bears fans before the Rams came (and plenty still are) and they probably would be again. Same with the Chiefs. The Colts are also close enough to draw fans, especially since they're a successful franchise. Some might continue to be Rams fans. It'll be all over the place.

I would immediately root against the Rams, although it'd be tough to suddenly dislike a team of players you've grown attached, too. But I'd also finally be done with the NFL. Wouldn't be an allegiance shift for me. (Unless they lured me back with some other team in St. Louis. Ugh.)

I totally understand that reaction. All of them, actually.

I myself am a geographic fan. Take the team out of my city, and it isn't my team anymore.

A couple of Pro Football Talk articles on the matter, one without much new info (more of a rundown from the Chargers' perspective), and another with actual news, detailing a new potential stadium site, this time in Carson. The latter also mentions the NFL scouting the site out.

A couple of Pro Football Talk articles on the matter, one without much new info (more of a rundown from the Chargers' perspective), and another with actual news, detailing a new potential stadium site, this time in Carson. The latter also mentions the NFL scouting the site out.

More here:

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/12/two_nfl_teams_sniffing_around_possible_carson_stadium_site.php

Carson? Color me skeptical.

Wasnt Carson rumored for the Chargers years ago?

The only NFL connection Carson had before was being the Chargers' pre-season training grounds during the 1st 2-3 years of the area's development.

I remember talks about putting an NFL stadium in Carson about, oh, nine or ten years ago. Possibly for the Chargers but also for anyone who wanted it. It fell apart when it became clear that it wasn't really a very good location.

And MLS is apparently less-than-satisfied with their Carson stadium, which is why the new LAFC is finding their own location.

The stadium issues facing the Chargers cropped-up in a Tuesday Los Angeles Times story about San Diego's quest to devote more land along its waterfront for public use.

The story, which details the maneuvering which took place in order to upgrade San Diego's waterfront promenade (the so-called North Embarcadero), included the following excerpt:

The stadium issue may be the hottest political controversy in San Diego, with few public figures willing to defy the "no public money" mantra of opponents. The controversy even intruded upon the embarcadero ribbon-cutting.

"I have an idea: Build us a new stadium!" yelled a man in a passing pickup truck, interrupting a speech by Port Commission Chairman Bob Nelson.

Nelson did not miss a beat. "Tell Mr. Spanos to pay for it!" he yelled back.

The crowd, San Diego enthusiasts all, laughed and applauded.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-san-diego-waterfront-20141209-story.html#page=1

Real men may play in open fields, but St. Louisans don't go to games in bad weather (it's a baseball town thing). Good luck getting folks to show up without creature comforts.

Interesting.

I think we are getting pretty close to losing them, said Bob Chandler, a long-time sports broadcaster and former voice of the Padres. Los Angeles is trying to get two teams. The first is the Rams, and then it will be between the Raiders and the Chargers.

I've long thought that there would be a desperate race to be the second team in LA. Looks like the Chargers may be making their move. I also wonder what this may do to force Kroenke's hand.

Meanwhile, I see a report that the announced attendance for last night's game was 55,900. Meaning 11,000 empty seats, right on the border of blackout territory (can't remember - did the Rams lower their threshold).

Rams fans have an opportunity to give their city leverage with the team and the league, an opportunity they're letting go to waste.

(Isaac) Bruce to Rams fans: Show up

STLFanatic keeps mentioning the numbers of what it might cost to move the Rams to Los Angeles. And yes, it figures to be a lot of money. A stadium that'll cost 10-figures, any relocation fee, etc.

But, not only is the ability to draw bigger profits there in Los Angeles....Kroenke can possibly fill 20 NFL games each season in his building. Whatever deal he works out with the Raiders or Chargers (whether it be an all-incusive rent fee or X-percentage of the cut for gameday operations...or both!) can certainly fill his wallet quicker than just having one team.

I think the presumption is that the second team into LA would involve selling a piece of the club to AEG and trigger Farmers Field. But given that second club is almost certainly going to be either the Raiders or Chargers, there might not be a piece of the team on offer. So they'll need to rent from somebody, might as well be Kroenke.