NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/no-nfl-team-moving-to-los-angeles-for-2015--report-says-160842639.html

Apparently the first the NFL wants to get the stadium site settled, then "the hope is for a team there in 2016".

The 3 sites in play are Kroenke's Inglewood site, Carson, and Farmers Field.

Maybe the post was updated, but there is nothing at that link that lists those three sites.

I enjoyed these snippets, though:

This news shouldn't surprise you, because the NFL has a clear strategy for Los Angeles. The league lets the market stay open (no team has been there since 1994), does nothing to discourage numerous reports which say that this is the year a team is coming to L.A. (there were reports this year that two teams might even come, which the NFL must have enjoyed tremendously) and then the NFL can use that negotiating power to get cities to publicly finance new stadiums.

This is what the league has done repeatedly for two decades. And it's working, so why change now?

In other words: "Don't believe the hype." And...

Again: If the incredibly profitable NFL thought it was important to have a team in Los Angeles, there would be a team in Los Angeles. Period. That's it. Anything that runs contrary to that statement is intellectually dishonest.

Maybe the NFL will finally change its agenda and put a team in Los Angeles one of these years, but nobody should be pretending it's a priority for the league.

Longest game of musical chairs ever.

Looks like somebody didn't get the memo. After Goodell's announcement, I just stumbled on a Bring Back the Raiders rally outside Staples Center. If only you guys knew what you were wishing for...

4A9FAD95-E331-4138-95E9-8C6D6074609E_zps

It's kind of pointless to hold a pro-Raiders rally at Staples Center when the Kings are playing, since they don't get the amount of love and attention the Lakers and Clippers get from the SoCal sports media.

Again: If the incredibly profitable NFL thought it was important to have a team in Los Angeles, there would be a team in Los Angeles. Period. That's it. Anything that runs contrary to that statement is intellectually dishonest.

Maybe the NFL will finally change its agenda and put a team in Los Angeles one of these years, but nobody should be pretending it's a priority for the league.

Longest game of musical chairs ever.

I think it's a "priority" for the league to get a team back into Los Angeles, but I think it's more of a priority to not rock the boat when you have the antitrust exemption, the NFL's tax-exempt status, and local governments handing out hundreds of millions of dollars. Piss off the wrong people by moving a team, and the legal playing field for the NFL could change forever. Really, I think that's the only reason teams have to jump through hoops to move nowadays... not to give fans a chance to show support, but to make it defensible to the power brokers. I think the intellectually dishonest thing is to think it's not "important" at some level for the NFL to have a team in Los Angeles. What's worth more-- a team in Oakland or a team in Los Angeles? Damn near every team has gotten a new stadium or a mega-remodel (and the Bills and the Falcons are on the way) since the Rams and Raiders left, and everyone knows Los Angeles has played a part in that. Again, it's a matter of priorities for the NFL.

levelDamn near every team has gotten a new stadium or a mega-remodel (and the Bills and the Falcons are on the way) since the Rams and Raiders left, and everyone knows Los Angeles has played a part in that.

And they've got one more in them. Three teams need stadiums. LA can only take two teams, so they need to leverage it for the third to get a sweetheart stadium deal where they are.

And once that's done, say hello to your Los Angeles ______s and Los Angeles ______s. London will have to do the next time a team needs to threaten a move.

levelDamn near every team has gotten a new stadium or a mega-remodel (and the Bills and the Falcons are on the way) since the Rams and Raiders left, and everyone knows Los Angeles has played a part in that.

And they've got one more in them. Three teams need stadiums. LA can only take two teams, so they need to leverage it for the third to get a sweetheart stadium deal where they are.

And once that's done, say hello to your Los Angeles ______s and Los Angeles ______s. London will have to do the next time a team needs to threaten a move.

I forgot or didn't know about Miami's upcoming renovations, but yeah... they're pretty much the only teams that don't have a settled stadium situation (the Bills' situation isn't technically "settled", but it's very very very far from "unsettled"). The only team I'm not sure about is the Saints... how's the Superdome doing as a stadium these days? Other than that, the Raiders and the Chargers, every single team has a new stadium since 1995, a new stadium coming or a major refit.

And I believe they ran around $400 million and resulted in an obscenely favorable lease agreement for Tom Benson, because Louisiana's just got so much money laying around that they don't know what to do with it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

And I believe they ran around $400 million and resulted in an obscenely favorable lease agreement for Tom Benson, because Louisiana's just got so much money laying around that they don't know what to do with it.

So the government really bent over for the Saints? The NFL's probably satisfied, then.

If I'm Mark Davis, I file for relocation to Los Angeles for 2015 and force the league's hand. At the very least, by doing so you make it clear to Oakland that you're ready to go unless they're ready to deal. And there's always the possibility that such a move results in another lawsuit against the league for anti-trust practices.

nav-logo.png

If I'm Mark Davis, I file for relocation to Los Angeles for 2015 and force the league's hand. At the very least, by doing so you make it clear to Oakland that you're ready to go unless they're ready to deal. And there's always the possibility that such a move results in another lawsuit against the league for anti-trust practices.

This assumes Mark Davis can afford enough lawyers to do so.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If a team wanted to force the league's hand, they could apply for relocation anyway. Public declaration. Salt the earth in their current city, and the NFL would have no choice but to let them move as soon as possible.

I don't think that'll happen in any of our three cities, but it could.

If a team wanted to force the league's hand, they could apply for relocation anyway. Public declaration. Salt the earth in their current city, and the NFL would have no choice but to let them move as soon as possible.

I don't think that'll happen in any of our three cities, but it could.

I don't think it necessarily 'salts the Earth' so to speak. A press conference conducted along with the formal application could be held, at which the team's ownership could state:

"Here's what we've done to this point in our effort to stay here. Here's what has occurred in response. As a result, we feel we have exhausted those avenues capable of keeping the [insert team name here] in [insert city name here] over any sustained period, and have applied to the league to relocate the franchise to Los Angeles for 2015.

We do not anticipate our petition to garner adequate support among the clubs to be approved, and while we have applied for relocation, we have the capability of withdrawing it at any time prior to the league's final decision. It has been, and continues to be, our preference to remain in [insert city here]. But we feel current circumstances necessitate our application at this time.

We do not see our application as a desire to make the [insert city and team name here] into the Los Angeles [insert team nickname here]. We see it as our last opportunity to maintain our competitive position within NFL markets by securing a facility capable of sustaining our franchise over the long term."

The Seahawks essentially did precisely this back in the 1990's. The owner wound up selling the team and reaping a huge profit, but the application got people who had been in-fighting for years about building a stadium together in a matter of days to make a deal.

nav-logo.png

Three cities just got a reprieve they haven't exactly earned. Hope they can make the best of it.

Announced attendance was less than 56,000 in St. Louis today. God knows how many were comped. But see, Christmas shopping needed to happen today and Jesus loves St. Louis fans and never would let anything bad happen to them.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't think it necessarily 'salts the Earth' so to speak.

The Seahawks essentially did precisely this back in the 1990's. The owner wound up selling the team and reaping a huge profit, but the application got people who had been in-fighting for years about building a stadium together in a matter of days to make a deal.

But that did salt the earth... for the owner. He had to sell because he became so poisonous in Seattle. There's no way that stadium deal gets done without Paul Allen buying the team, and the speed with which it was put together says volumes about how much the old owner was hated.

The three teams up for discussion here, nobody wants to sell or be forced to sell.

Three cities just got a reprieve they haven't exactly earned. Hope they can make the best of it.

Announced attendance was less than 56,000 in St. Louis today. God knows how many were comped. But see, Christmas shopping needed to happen today and Jesus loves St. Louis fans and never would let anything bad happen to them.

Yeah and they also played the Giants. NY always gets an inflated boost at the gates, but you're right, I bet a ton were comps.

I recall before the renovations, they were threatened to move to the Mississippi coast- Gulfport or Biloxi, which always seemed strange to me. Would they still be considered a New Orleans team?

sig.png

I recall before the renovations, they were threatened to move to the Mississippi coast- Gulfport or Biloxi, which always seemed strange to me. Would they still be considered a New Orleans team?

I remember that rumor. There are plenty of Saints fans in south Mississippi, but moving away from downtown New Orleans isn't a good idea.

They held training camp in Jackson twice after Katrina. I remember buying a shirt with a Mississippi version of this logo:

0iu3h5pjaqmhp9svx7gt.gif

Archived