NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What kind of redevelopment can you realistically do around a big expensive building that only gets used ten times a year? The East Coast has it figured out; downtowns don't need NFL stadiums.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This isn't a direct answer to your question. Some of it's is barely related. And I tend to agree. Stadium deals are typically bad for urban area development (although I HATE suburban stadiums). But here's just some thoughts.

• It's said that the Dome could get a lot more use with conventions (it's attached to the convention center), if it weren't prohibited from being used during the football season. I'm not sure how many conventions actually need that type of space, but they say there's a lot to be had. That's where the Dome can maybe start bringing in more revenue as a non-NFL building.

• The stadium itself may or may not spur the re-development, but it has happened, albeit usually in suburban settings. Robert Kraft has a successful development called Patriot Place or something. I honestly don't know what is there or how it would fit in an urban environment, but I think the possibility can exist.

More than that, though, I don't think the development around the stadium has to be stadium-based. Meaning, everything doesn't have to be a sports bar just because it's a sports stadium. There are lots of development possibilities and ways to make money off of them.

• While, as an urbanist, I'm not a big believer in giving up on re-development for a "silver bullet" that never works, the area they're talking bout is mostly abandoned. I hope they can save any interesting buildings and preserve them for re-development, but this truly is an area where you have to ponder the question of "is anything better than nothing?" I think this can play a role in one of the larger Northside Regeneration plan.

But we'll just have to see what's proposed.

Ugh, Patriot Place. I remember when that opened and CBS, which has a restaurant there, spent half the damn pregame show promoting a goddamn strip mall that I'm never gonna go to because I'm never gonna find myself halfway between Boston and Providence and needing to make a spontaneous Bath & Body Works run.

Ugh, Patriot Place. I remember when that opened and CBS, which has a restaurant there, spent half the damn pregame show promoting a goddamn strip mall that I'm never gonna go to because I'm never gonna find myself halfway between Boston and Providence and needing to make a spontaneous Bath & Body Works run.

You never know when the need for a coconut-scented loufa will arise, my friend.

sig.png

• 2 weeks later...

NFL would leave St. Louis for Los Angeles in a heartbeat... because then they'd immediately gain St. Louis as a bargaining chip for the next wimpering NFL owner/city.

Leagues love having capable backup plans to scare owners & fan bases into what they want.

NHL has taught me well.

As for the Bills, they'll never ever ever move - reason being they're the sole NFL taxpayers of New York state (Jets & Giants based in New Jersey). Apparently Cuomo & co. made the Bills new ownership happen.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

NFL would leave St. Louis for Los Angeles in a heartbeat... because then they'd immediately gain St. Louis as a bargaining chip for the next wimpering NFL owner/city.

Leagues love having capable backup plans to scare owners & fan bases into what they want.

NHL has taught me well.

Yeah obviously out of the potential open markets, Jacksonville is the only one that's not a potential bargaining chip for a team that's looking for money for a new arena. Other than trading Jacksonville for LA (which is obviously still a huge win), there's no other benefit, because nobody is moving there... ever.

I would think that San Diego would be a better chip than St. Louis (of course any of this depends on the cities having a change of heart regarding public funding after they lose their team) just due to the market size and history of support. St. Louis doesn't seem have a lot going for it as a relocation threat, unless it really ponies up. Oakland would probably also wouln't be a chip. If they lose the Raiders, I can't realistically see any other team threatening to move in to the bay area market.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

NFL taxpayer = oxymoron

Not really. The NFL itself is tax-exempt, but the individual teams are for-profit entities (with the notable exception of my Green Bay Packers) and therefore do pay taxes.

Maybe they don't pay as much as they should - what major corporation ever does? - but they do pay.

NFL taxpayer = oxymoron

Not really. The NFL itself is tax-exempt, but the individual teams are for-profit entities (with the notable exception of my Green Bay Packers) and therefore do pay taxes.

Maybe they don't pay as much as they should - what major corporation ever does? - but they do pay.

I'm sure they pay taxes, but when you factor in the way governments throw money at teams in the leases, it's certainly not something a state with a $100B+ budget is keeping around for revenue purposes. It's a pride thing and/or a way to get votes.

Details about how St. Louis would fund a new stadium begin to emerge. It's expectedly a bit ugly. Although if they're indeed successful in a 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 split, then I won't be too concerned about the methods or the funds. That's a reasonable amount of public-funding, IMO.

http://www.stlmag.com/news/state-money-crucial-for-new-open-air-stadium-north-of-downto/

But who knows. At some point soon, we should actually hear some official things.

Whether it's thrown out? If the chuckleheads in Glendale and the NHL could successfully crush all populist dissent by throwing out petitions on technicalities, the NFL will straight-up have people shot.

I actually think it's more about how long it takes to have the suit dismissed, and whether the NFL forces to the Rams to stay until it is.

All Lindecke has to do is slow the process down by a year or so, not unheard of in complicated litigation, and he could win by default when the team moves for lack of a deal in place.

At this point, if I'm a St Louis partisan, I'm hoping that even if this deal doesn't go through, it stays alive long enough to let the Raiders and Chargers both move to LA first.

Archived