NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

This is a shame

1. The Rams should have never left LA to begin with and St. Louis was a great town for them the last 20 years.

I blame Georgia Fronteiri she must be looking up and laughing right now.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I don't think St. Louis ever had a chance to get ahead of the issue. The pooch was screwed the day they agreed to this lease.

Perhaps. But when Peacock and Blitz unveil their sparkly riverfront stadium plan, think what would have happened had it been drawn up in 2010. Or even in 2012 instead of the couple minor revisions to the Dome that were proposed. The city went small when it needed to go big, and put this whole thing in motion. They gambled on arbitrarion, and lost the whole pot.

Interesting excerpt from Bernie Miklasz, which admittedly fits my angle of "the NFL is still running this show":

The NFL has been steadfast in its desire to control the Los Angeles market. The league has set up a process for going back into Los Angeles, and other owners have complied with the league's wishes to proceed in an orderly fashion. Kroenke's decision to go rogue could backfire on him.

According to multiple NFL sources, Kroenke's decision to go public with his Los Angeles bid caught the NFL off guard. The league wasnt happy with being ambushed by Monday's big news.

The NFL already has cut Kroenke a break on cross ownership. Now the league has been put in position of having to surrender the lucrative Los Angeles market to Kroenke at a time when other teams (Raiders, Chargers) have more of a case for moving there.

How many times can one owner grab for the money and his additional self enrichment before the NFL takes a strong stand?

I don't have the answer. I guess well find out.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/bernie-kroenke-shows-his-hand/article_cd866b7a-0724-52b2-aa17-639e503f8d7a.html

So maybe he is attempting an Al Davis.

$700. Million. Dollars. For a stadium without a team.

Just move the Jaguars already.

If I was the Chargers I don't see why you wouldn't jump all over this. They can stay in SD until the Stadium is finished and keep but expand their fanbase.

If I were the Chargers, that's exactly what I'd do, only I'd continue to have training camp in San Diego and commit to playing one preseason game at the Q every year.

As one who lived through the Clippers moving from San Diego to Los Angeles, the people I knew went from hating the the Clippers' rivals the Lakers to that being their team (enemy of my enemy is my friend). I'd imagine if the Chargers jilted SD, the Raiders would become a more popular team in San Diego than they are already. Why would SD support a team/organization that abandoned them?

Take for what it's worth, but one of the representatives from the new Hollywood Park stadium development was on one of the L.A. sports radio shows yesterday, and he said that this new stadium will be built regardless of whether a NFL team comes to town or not. Either this guy really knows something that we don't or they're going to have a white elephant on their hands.

I don't think St. Louis ever had a chance to get ahead of the issue. The pooch was screwed the day they agreed to this lease.

Perhaps. But when Peacock and Blitz unveil their sparkly riverfront stadium plan, think what would have happened had it been drawn up in 2010. Or even in 2012 instead of the couple minor revisions to the Dome that were proposed. The city went small when it needed to go big, and put this whole thing in motion. They gambled on arbitrarion, and lost the whole pot.

I think arbitration went exactly as they expected.

If they'd unveiled the riverfront plan in 2010, Kroenke still would have known what was to come in the lease, Kroenke could have demanded the city pay for the whole thing, and it would have meant they were replacing a 15 year building that still had closer to half the debt unpaid.

Yeah, every city could get out ahead of a plan and building their team a shiny new building long before it's actually due, but it's not realistic and certainly not responsible.

Again, that original deal just put them in a brutal spot. And there were only 3 ways to avoid this happening:

1. Have an owner that wants to work something reasonable out rather than exploit it.

2. Continue getting financially worked over and pour hundreds of millions more into a new stadium or equivalent renovation.

3. Or do as they have, and hope the NFL is satisfied willing to protect the market.

Keep in mind, I'm a Jags super fan. (No duh) but from what I have seen, Khan isn't leaving Jax. He has invested so much money. I'm sure this could be owner speak, but he has expressed his love for Jax. Why does he love it? It's Florida! Potential galore. He has houses in Florida. He is a self made extravagant billionaire. Where he lays his head is home. He is traveled. He isnt home sick. Hell, look at this picture.

khan.jpg

So glad the Rams owner did what he did. It saved my franchise. Khan would have kept that team in St Louis. Kroenke had a plan when he bought St Louis. Look at him. He is dirtier than my underwear three days after I should have done the laundry.

Holy crap, look at that goofball. The best part of this post is when you say everyone should "look" at Kroenke after posting that picture of Khan. OK, Kroenke may look dirty (I don't know. I've never seem him) but that guy looks like Geraldo Rivera and Saddam Hussein had a duchebag party baby.

That's perhaps one of the most slyly written racist comments I've ever read. You don't work for the GOP in your spare time, do you?

Temp venue in the same city, sure. But not a limited stay in a totally different market. You mention the Oilers. How'd that temporary home work for them, again?

Right. Don't go the Memphis route. Go all in early or be a lame duck and own it. Double-dipping won't work in a temp market, only a temp stadium in a destination market.

The mistake the Oilers made was that they chose Nashville instead of Memphis. Not that it's proven a terrible market by any means, but I always considered Memphis the better one.

• Like 1

nav-logo.png

The Rams as an organization are in a position to make that splash-they're really only a couple of pieces away from a playoff berth. Indeed, I think the franchise is kind of in a holding pattern waiting for the Los Angeles move to make that final push.

This would mean that Jeff Fisher and Les Snead are privy to the LA move OR that Stan Kroenke is particularly involved in the Rams personnel decisions.

I find both unlikely. Stan might well open his budget a bit more (although the Rams are already pressed up against the cap, so I'm not sure it matters) in LA, but I don't think they're holding anything back.

We're bringing Schotty back and don't look to be moving on from Bradford. If that doesn't scream that the team is just punting on the 2015 season already, I'm not sure how closely you follow them.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Rams as an organization are in a position to make that splash-they're really only a couple of pieces away from a playoff berth. Indeed, I think the franchise is kind of in a holding pattern waiting for the Los Angeles move to make that final push.

This would mean that Jeff Fisher and Les Snead are privy to the LA move OR that Stan Kroenke is particularly involved in the Rams personnel decisions.

I find both unlikely. Stan might well open his budget a bit more (although the Rams are already pressed up against the cap, so I'm not sure it matters) in LA, but I don't think they're holding anything back.

We're bringing Schotty back and don't look to be moving on from Bradford. If that doesn't scream that the team is just punting on the 2015 season already, I'm not sure how closely you follow them.

It screams that Jeff Fisher has been a roughly average coach for along time, due in part to loyalty that isn't necessarily best for football results. You can attribute both moves to that.

Neither move seems like an ownership mandate.

(And also, Bradford is—for better or worse—is the only realistic option for next year outside of the draft pick that probably won't be ready to start from the get go.)

Keep in mind, I'm a Jags super fan. (No duh) but from what I have seen, Khan isn't leaving Jax. He has invested so much money. I'm sure this could be owner speak, but he has expressed his love for Jax. Why does he love it? It's Florida! Potential galore. He has houses in Florida. He is a self made extravagant billionaire. Where he lays his head is home. He is traveled. He isnt home sick. Hell, look at this picture.

khan.jpg

So glad the Rams owner did what he did. It saved my franchise. Khan would have kept that team in St Louis. Kroenke had a plan when he bought St Louis. Look at him. He is dirtier than my underwear three days after I should have done the laundry.

Holy crap, look at that goofball. The best part of this post is when you say everyone should "look" at Kroenke after posting that picture of Khan. OK, Kroenke may look dirty (I don't know. I've never seem him) but that guy looks like Geraldo Rivera and Saddam Hussein had a duchebag party baby.

Now I can't see anything else besides Geraldo Hussein Jr. :shocked::lol::shocked::lol::puke:

khan.jpg

That's perhaps one of the most slyly written racist comments I've ever read. You don't work for the GOP in your spare time, do you?

FWIW, Geraldo is a member of the GOP. Isn't that the case for most high-profile Fox News personalities?

But back on topic--jerseys and on-field performance aside--I like Khan's fun-loving persona and think he's sincerely looking to keep the Jaguars in Jacksonville and would've helped keep the Rams in St. Louis had he landed them.

That said, I can see the talked-about but very-far-off-for-now scenario where the Jaguars are sent packing to a vacant St. Louis market, in the scenario where the Jaguars lose money for 5 straight years and break their lease,* not renew the lease past 2030 (or whatever year it is), or any other "reason" the NFL can come up with to get them out.

*I'm not sure if any NFL team is losing money, but it wouldn't surprise me if no one is, though my intuition would sayd that the Jaguars are near the bottom in terms of profit.

Temp venue in the same city, sure. But not a limited stay in a totally different market. You mention the Oilers. How'd that temporary home work for them, again?

Right. Don't go the Memphis route. Go all in early or be a lame duck and own it. Double-dipping won't work in a temp market, only a temp stadium in a destination market.

The mistake the Oilers made was that they chose Nashville instead of Memphis. Not that it's proven a terrible market by any means, but I always considered Memphis the better one.

It's an interesting concept (I've thought about making a "temporary homes" thread) if Kroenke and the NFL want to avoid a lame-duck St. Louis season but can't go to LA just yet, but I think part of why the NFL is holding off on Los Angeles for at least one more year is to avoid such a situation.

With some comments being made about the Inglewood stadium being made even without the Rams moving in, maybe there's a scenario where Kroenke does in fact sell the Rams to own this site, letting the Raiders and/or Chargers pay rent to him, if not outright buying a stake in the Raiders. Nowhere near as probable or imminent as the Rams moving in at this point, but you can never predict what the NFL has in mind with Los Angeles.

Edited by DustDevil61

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Don't be a dunce. No, it's not racist. There are actual facial similarities between the two. You'd have a point if he said Bin Laden instead. And no, he has been clear that he represents the party of "Hymietown," "Mahatma Gandhi ran a gas station down in St. Louis," "(Obama) would have been getting us coffee," "light skinned with no negro dialect" "can't go into 7-11 unless you have an Indian accent," and "typical white person."

OldRomanSig2.jpg

So the Rams move to LA, leaving the St. Louis market open. Leaving LA open to either the Chargers or Raiders. If the Raiders move I don't see Oakland getting another NFL team, but if the Chargers move I could see that as a remote possibility.

But, with the Jags staying in Jacksonville and not moving to say St. Louis or San Diego ... do you see the NFL expanding to either of those markets (of course with the promise of a new stadium) or other cities (ie-London, Las Vegas, Toronto, Mexico City, San Antonio, etc., etc., etc.)?

Personally, I could see the NFL expand, but if they expand again, I doubt they go to 33 or 34, I think they'd want to round it up even divisions with a 40 team league.

Do you see that happening? Especially as profitable as the NFL is today?

I could see the NFL looking into expanding not just into new markets, but in Chicago, Philadelphia or maybe even the Bay Area for a second team. I am not sold on London or Mexico City, but Toronto could host a team.

What is everyone's thoughts on expansion after LA relocation, etc.?

No, I wanted to talk more about my efforts to bring postmodernism to my, how you say, work. Some of the titles I'm working on are Gravity's Rimjob, Finnegans Wang, and Infinite Chest.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Funny thing is, how oldschoolvikings described him was kind of my point. He is having a good time. He responded like I called him a beautiful man or something. Whoooosh! He is no Admiral. A beautiful man in an ugly world. :D

Edited by Ice_Cap
don't insult a fellow member by altering his screen name