NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

Missouri Governor Jay Nixon (via staff representatives) says Missouri law gives his office the power to issue bonds without the approval of the legislature. They specifically say they are not necessarily acting in this manner, but believe that they could.

Missouri legislators respond by saying they would litigate against such an action, and have further filed a bill to remove this possibility.

They say it's not specifically about the stadium, and more about the powers of the governor. And that's actually probably true. The heavily republican Missouri legislature has been trying to (with much success) castrate the Democratic governor for some time. They don't like him.

The end result would obviously have major impacts on the stadium financing (or lack there of), though.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/alex-stuckey/nixon-administration-could-take-action-on-rams-stadium-without-legislative/article_3ab09064-9d43-58c1-a499-d5b10e0ebd60.html

Missouri Governor Jay Nixon (via staff representatives) says Missouri law gives his office the power to issue bonds without the approval of the legislature. They specifically say they are not necessarily acting in this manner, but believe that they could.

Missouri legislators respond by saying they would litigate against such an action, and have further filed a bill to remove this possibility.

They say it's not specifically about the stadium, and more about the powers of the governor. And that's actually probably true. The heavily republican Missouri legislature has been trying to (with much success) castrate the Democratic governor for some time. They don't like him.

The end result would obviously have major impacts on the stadium financing (or lack there of), though.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/alex-stuckey/nixon-administration-could-take-action-on-rams-stadium-without-legislative/article_3ab09064-9d43-58c1-a499-d5b10e0ebd60.html

Translation: "I don't want to be known as the governer who let the Rams leave."

Edited by DustDevil61

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Requiring an act of the legislature is probably the right result, but it's a shame that the stadium plan is getting detailed over partisan pettiness.

Again, thanks to the magic of term limits and gerrymandering, Missouri state legislators term out before they learn how to be less partisan.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Translation: "I don't want to be known as the governer who let the Rams leave."

Which is totally worse than the one who had the Ferguson riots happen under him.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Translation: "I don't want to be known as the governor who let the Rams leave Los Angeles have an NFL team again."

Fixed it.

CVC chairman admits Rams "would rather be in Los Angeles":

http://m.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/spectacular-effort-would-be-needed-to-keep-rams-cvc-chairman/article_22d31c15-4b3d-58f6-a69a-dc9880358d88.html?mobile_touch=true

Starting to think the proactive move for St. Louis is build a smaller SSS in that riverfront location. Creates counterprogramming for the Cardinals in summer and helps strengthen the Blues, presumably, by taking away some heavyweight competition. And you get in early on "America's next big thing."*

If the Rams are all but gone, is it smart to sell your soul to get the Raiders and find your city in the same situation 15-20 years down the road?

If I'm them, it's keep the Rams or bust. Make Bud Selig's BFIB proclamation the new marketing slogan.

*TM

• Like 1

And he ought to know - it was the CVC fiddling while the Rams were trying to work with them. Dan Dierdorf claims he warned the city in 2008 (when he was head of the tourism bureau) that they had to prepare for this day, and by all indications they didn't bother to even consider the possibility that the Rams would hold them to the lease. Seven years after his warning, and having turned down the Rams' good-faith alternative, they still don't have a real plan.

I think you're right - a SSS seems like a better fit in that spot anyway. Less space wasted on parking.

But they'll have to actually build it if they want soccer to come to town - not even MLS will fall for the half-assed proposals St. Louis offered the Rams. Sacramento is building a stadium, Minneapolis is building a stadium, St. Louis can't just coast on its reputation as a "soccer hotbed" unless they want to get left behind again.

Again, the stadium isn't even 20 years old yet. When Dan Dierdorf made that warning, it was 13 years old (or less).

It's not that he was wrong or that it might not have been the only real chance at keeping the Rams. It's that it's patently absurd for a city/region with tens of millions—probably about a hundred million at that point—of debt left on the current stadium that's less than a decade and a half old, to start preparing plans for it's replacement.

It's not about not considering that the owner might hold them to the lease, it's about that being the only fiscally reasonable option to take. The risk of losing the team is part of that option, but it was the only reasonable option.

The city leaders 20 years ago screwed this over, and at that point the best hope was having an owner like, well, all of the other owners in the NFL, who's preference was to stay in their home city if they could make it work. It just so happens that St. Louis got the one owner that wanted out as soon as he could get out.

Two terrible things—the lease, and the owner—and it takes both for St. Louis to be in this situation. But it happened.

I am TOTALLY on board with the SSS stadium idea, but I don't think it's going to happen. The people behind this view the MLS as a selling tool to help keep their NFL team. I'm not convinced they truly see the MLS as an asset worth pursuing on it's on.

The city can complain about the bad deal all it wants. That's the deal they signed to get a team, and trying to pretend otherwise appears to have cost them that team.

Similarly, you can't lay this at the feet of an uncaring owner. I think it's clear that Kronke would have stayed had St. Louis been halfway serious; weren't you the one telling us how he was investing in the team, finally building a regional fanbase after years of neglect?

St. Louis built a spec stadium on the relative cheap. It doesn't take a genius to look at that and the lease terms and see that sitting back and hoping nothing bad will happen because Jebus loves us isn't an advisable strategy.

St. Louis should have begun serious work on a new stadium the moment Frontiere died (which is coincidentally shortly before Dierdorf's warning). It's been seven years, and the best St. Louis can do is show some pretty pictures and say "we can pay for it if we all just rummage through the seat cushions a bit." Well done lads. Well done.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hindsight is 20/20, but... seven years ago no one would have thought Turner Field and the Georgia Dome were on their way out, either. So STLFANATIC's assertion that the idea of replacing a 20-year old stadium is "absurd" has merit.

But that pesky stadium clause did put an escalated clock on it, and today's context makes it much less absurd.

So I guess that's why I'm saying they need to have foresight this time, skip a few steps and build the first all-suite NFL stadium -- or an SSS because football is over anyway. :)

The Rams were being tossed around as a serious move threat in the media the moment Frontiere was in the grave. Again, St. Louis had warnings.

Today, we are all otaku.

I'm not blaming anyone else for this. (Well Kroenke has a role in it, but moving on.) I'm perfectly willing to admit this is St. Louis' fault. I'm just saying the fault occurred 20 years ago. It was a mistake that couldn't be reasonably fixed. They were going to need help to get out of that, and it's help they're not getting. So be it.

I'm not saying St. Louis got blindsided, and I haven't once said that. (I got blindsided by Kroenke's intentions, but that's different.) I'm saying there was realistically nothing that could be done. Tell me you can at least see the differences in what I'm saying and what you're suggesting I'm saying. You can disagree, but I'd appreciate knowing you see my perspective.

As for Kroenke, I was wrong about him. That's all I can say. I don't believe he ever wanted to stay in St. Louis. I fell for his lies. Not shocking. I know think he pretty much just gave the reigns (non-football wise) in St. Louis to Kevin Demoff and told him to run a good organization. And he did. But Kroenke's grand plan was unrelated.

Well... In retrospect Kroenke's plan presented at arbitrarion seems very genuine. If only the city hadn't shown itself to be so disinterested in working a deal, I think they would have turned that renovation into a long-term lease.

Meanwhile, in San Diego, the mayor unveiled the task force the Chargers didn't want:

http://utsandiego.com/news/2015/jan/30/faulconer-chargers-task-force-stadium-plan/

Well... In retrospect Kroenke's plan presented at arbitrarion seems very genuine. If only the city hadn't shown itself to be so disinterested in working a deal, I think they would have turned that renovation into a long-term lease.

What seems genuine about a $700+ million mega-renovation in return for just a 10-year commitment?