NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

The St. Louis stadium project clears one of it's bigger hurdles, by coming to agreements with a couple of the major land owners and occupiers (the Terminal Railroad and Ameren Missouri, the power company). Supposedly, Goodell was encouraged.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/nixon-to-announce-progress-on-new-riverfront-stadium/article_b8b0907a-01be-5d7e-a68e-893e92aded1c.html

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLcom/McKernan/tabid/61/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/16449/Source-Roger-Goodell-Extremely-Pleased-With-Latest-St-Louis-Developm.aspx

There are still any number of remaining hurdles from acquiring land from the smaller owners to getting the financing approved and in place (which is likely the largest of all the hurdles).

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you're right - the financing is the real hurdle. I'm frustrated by their inability to strike real estate deals before announcing, but they can always use eminent domain. Won't be popular, could well delay the project with lawsuits, but it's always an option.

Meanwhile, the NFL has formed a committee of owners to oversee the LA relocation:

http://ocregister.com/articles/stadium-650742-angeles-city.html

The OC Register also buries the lede a bit, with this little nugget:

Kroenke and Rams officials believe they have enough votes to move the team to Inglewood if they choose to relocate, said a person familiar with the situation.

St. Louis just recently approved a very controversial eminent domain policy in an effort to retain federal jobs with the National Geospatial Agency. They want to leave their location in South City for updated headquarters, and they're essentially pitting parts of the region against each other for their new location. It's lose-lose basically, and it doesn't make me very happy that the federal government is holding the city hostage like that. It's basically lose thousands of jobs or tear down many buildings (some occupied, many in tact, most residential) in order to build a campus that likely won't be very urban. (I'll note that this is in a part of North City that is already largely empty and vacant, but that doesn't mean it's ideal to tear down the rest and build a mega campus).

But I digress. My main point is just that I'm extremely skeptical that they'd be successful using eminent domain for a football stadium given the teeth gnashing that was had over using it for a government agency that provides thousands of jobs.

Nonetheless, I don't doubt it could be floated as an option. But like you said, I'd think it'd see it's share of hangups if it got that far.

Interesting tidbit from today's press conference. I apologize that I can't really provide more context other than it was Nixon speaking at the stadium site about the aforementioned things.

Michael Calhoun @MichaelCalhoun

Nixon hesitates before answering my Q about whether legislature will have to approve financing. Says he's having conversations.

https://twitter.com/michaelcalhoun/status/565185442278936577

Now, I'm not sure who he's having conversations with. Maybe he means his own advisors. But I suspect this means he's working with opposition and legislature leadership (which in Missouri are basically the same thing) to hash out a deal where this doesn't come to a vote. EDIT: I found more context that definitely implies it's the legislature he's talking to. Nixon believes he has the power to do it, but he probably knows it can be challenged. I'm sure he's trying to work out something where the legislature agrees not to challenge it.

Why don't they just raise the tax on cigarettes? I've never seen a state with such cheap cigarettes.

I'm pretty sure at least half the Missouri legislature self-identifies as "Tea Party Conservative". That's why.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Some people believe a cigarette tax unfairly targets the poor. I'd suggest it's still worth doing as a matter of public health if nothing else. Missouri also has a dumbfoundingly stupid low gas tax.

I also saw somewhere (sorry, read it on my phone & don't remember where at the moment) that Nixon believes they're on track to have everything finalized by the fall. That's essentially what the NFL has said is necessary. We'll see how realistic that estimate is.

I think you're right - the financing is the real hurdle. I'm frustrated by their inability to strike real estate deals before announcing, but they can always use eminent domain. Won't be popular, could well delay the project with lawsuits, but it's always an option.

Meanwhile, the NFL has formed a committee of owners to oversee the LA relocation:

http://ocregister.com/articles/stadium-650742-angeles-city.html

The OC Register also buries the lede a bit, with this little nugget:

Kroenke and Rams officials believe they have enough votes to move the team to Inglewood if they choose to relocate, said a person familiar with the situation.

It's interesting that the NFL repeated in its latest memo that it's in charge, but I agree that his belief in having the votes is the news.

It's looking less like Kroenke is going rogue here -- and he doesn't need to beyond that original announcement... yet -- but he sure has leverage everywhere.

I find the whole thing very confusing. Kroenke seems to genuinely want to move. He seems to be seriously set on building the Inglewood stadium. But the NFL also seems to also be genuinely and actively involved and supportive of the St. Louis stadium effort.

It was reported that the reason Peacock and Blitz didn't join Nixon at his press conference today was because they were meeting with the NFL.

I suppose the NFL has nothing to lose by keeping a St. Louis stadium possibility alive, but would they really devote that much attention to it if they envisioned St. Louis not having a team?

Even as things get clearer, they get weirder.

I think there are a couple ways to look at it. Goodell might really want to keep the three clubs in their current homes. He may be hoping for force Kroneke to stay by supporting the St. Louis effort.

We might also look with a cynical eye and say that a potential stadium in St. Louis would be powerful leverage in Oakland and San Diego. And they haven't come out so strongly in favor of the plan that they couldn't just walk away if it leads to Davis and Spanos getting deals elsewhere.

Equally cynically, we could postulate that they're making a show for the cameras, saying the right thing without committing at all. If/when the plan fails to come together soon enough, they've covered their PR bases.

There also might be a possibility that Khan wants to move to his home region, and Goodell is trying to preserve that as an option down the road.

I really don't know how to read that.

Khan's a good dude. I still wouldn't rule it out for a few reasons, but I very much wouldn't expect him to hurry. He'll give the Jacksonville every chance first.

#1 I wouldn't rule out something crazy where Khan does wind up in St. Louis even though the Jaguars stay put. I don't know if a franchise swap has happened in the NFL since Irsay and Rosenbloom with the Rams and Colts, and it probably remains unlikely. But I could see something goofy happen with this.

#2 Jacksonville's status as an NFL market is still up in the air. Without decent football teams, it's not fair to judge harshly, and Khan is going to make a real effort. But IF it doesn't wind up successful AND St. Louis remains open, maybe someday.

But no, I don't think Khan is going to make a run to St. Louis with the Jaguars. That's not his style. Good on him, and good for Jacksonville.

St. Louis isn't even his home. He just immigrated through St. Louis and has an affection for it. His home, though, isn't far in Urbana, IL.

But I don't think he's dying to spend all his time back in the midwest again, either. There'd have to be a variety of factors that led him to it. I think the idea of Khan owning a team in St. Louis is possible, but pretty unlikely, at least in the near-term.

Archived