NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

People (still) really think the Jags are moving from Duval??? Considering all of the money Shahid Khan has spent from his pocket, why would he/the team move elsewhere? The on-field product has gotten marginally better, but the attendance has gotten better. The Jaguars will only go up from here. Let the Rams go to LA.

I can't wait for the Shipyards announcement. I hope it isn't just overpriced shops. One rumor is an aquarium. I could dig that. The indoor practice field will be on the Shipyards. Khan pumped it up during a recent interview.

I don't remember what he said, but the gist of it was that it will be unique and amazing. It's an indoor practice facility. How amazing could it be? Very curious about that. Khan is very eccentric. I like that a lot.

St. Louis isn't even his home. He just immigrated through St. Louis and has an affection for it. His home, though, isn't far in Urbana, IL.

Urbana's closer to Indy and Chicago, though.

That just makes it all the more angering that the NFL allowed Khan to be pushed aside in St. Louis in favor of an owner who was and remains in violation of league ownership rules.

Jacksonville is a good example of what I mean when it comes to St. Louis having to unlikely things come together to put them in this situation. The original Jacksonville owner actually negotiated a lease that gave him and a new owner very little leverage. Intentionally. And the new owner hasn't made any effort to challenge it, and has instead pressed forward with investing in the community.

And that owner would have preferred to have bought the Rams in St. Louis. St. Louis got swindled (because they were stupid) by the original owner on the lease, and now has the owner that isn't interested in anything but leaving. Sigh.

St. Louis isn't even his home. He just immigrated through St. Louis and has an affection for it. His home, though, isn't far in Urbana, IL.

I'm not entirely sure what your point is. In fact, I'm not sure at all what your point is.

That just makes it all the more angering that the NFL allowed Khan to be pushed aside in St. Louis in favor of an owner who was and remains in violation of league ownership rules.

Jacksonville is a good example of what I mean when it comes to St. Louis having to unlikely things come together to put them in this situation. The original Jacksonville owner actually negotiated a lease that gave him and a new owner very little leverage. Intentionally. And the new owner hasn't made any effort to challenge it, and has instead pressed forward with investing in the community.

And that owner would have preferred to have bought the Rams in St. Louis. St. Louis got swindled (because they were stupid) by the original owner on the lease, and now has the owner that isn't interested in anything but leaving. Sigh.

I'm not entirely sure what your point is. In fact, I'm not sure at all what your point is.

There are closer hometown teams.

Having grown up 10 miles from Urbana, it is mostly Bears, Colts and Packer fans. Lots of Cardinal fans, lots of Cubs fans, even White Sox fans. I don't remember a single Rams fan in the 10 years I lived there while the team was in St Louis.

Yeah, I wouldn't disagree with any of that, though I knew a few. But my point wasn't at all that Khan identified with the Rams because he connected Urbana to St. Louis.

As I said, Khan's family immigrated through St. Louis. He developed an affinity for it as a result. His home is relatively close to that city he developed an affinity for. That's pretty much all I said.

The fact that there are other teams closer and more beloved by the population of Urbana doesn't change any of that.

It should also be noted that while saying that, I was in the process of pointing out that I thought it was unlikely Khan would be owning an NFL team in St. Louis, especially the Jaguars. So I'm still not sure what relevance Urbana's proximity to other NFL teams or the fan breakdown of the population has to any of that.

I don't think they had much choice. Khan wasn't "pushed aside", Kroenke exercised his contractual option to purchase the shares. Doesn't matter if the other buyer was Khan or Magic Johnson or anyone else. He was well within his right to do so, and I can't see how the league could possibly have stopped them.

As for giving him a period of time in which to address his cross-ownership issues, do you know what Bowlen said about it at the time?

The cross-ownership rule is why they could have blocked it. They could have simply not approved him as majority owner on those grounds.

But no, I'm not sure on what Bowlen said then or how he feels now.

I'm pretty sure the NFL would have lost the ensuing lawsuit, so no, they couldn't have blocked it on those grounds.

Agreed. He had been approved as a minorty owner with those same conflicts, and there's no way they could have prevented him from exercising his perfectly legal contractual right to take majority control without at least giving him a chance to correct the issue.

Some people think that owners are inclined to hold their fellow owners to terribly strict interpretations of the guidelines, for fear that those other owners will somehow gain an advantage.

I disagree. I believe that, behind closed doors, many if not most of them prefer to give wide latitude, to preserve their own autonomy. Jerry Jones is just one of the few who's willing to say that in public. Perhaps they might not condone outright flouting of the rules, but I'm convinced in many cases they're happy to endorse a broad interpretation.

And Bowden is the one theoretically being harmed by Kroenke's cross-ownership conflicts. If he hasn't objected (and we don't know either way), there's no reason for Goodell to force a speedy resolution.

You didn't seem to care when there was the belief that he might try to make things work in St. Louis.