NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

I don't think very many people would miss him if he stepped away from the NFL booth. I don't care for the guy's style myself, but I do think he generally works when it comes to baseball. So I think he'd be missed there.

I think he could be really good at baseball again if that was his focus, but the NFL and national pull are too strong.

I think baseball comes easy to him so he doesn't work at it as much and therefore has slipped.

I could see him someday gliding into retirement as a one-team guy and being beloved by the end of it, his voice becoming nostalgic for a new generation that heard him call so many iconic moments over the years.

I don't think anyone would mind if Buck stopped doing football. He's not all that great at it, and he's so identified with baseball. He's not a polymath, more a baseball guy who does football in the off-season.

Lest anyone think his petulance is solely motivated by local pride, Buck also owns a restaurant in downtown St. Louis. So he's got a financial interest in the new stadium being built. Which might help explain the tantrum.

I know Joe Buck is Fox's lead football announcer (with Troy Aikman), but I mostly associate him with the Dallas Cowboys, much the same way I associated later-day John Madden with the Packers. That speaks more to Fox's programming choices than it does any particular announcer, but the point is Buck could disappear from NFL announcing altogether and I wouldn't notice.

Of course, I don't think there's any one NFL announcer I would miss.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Lest anyone think his petulance is solely motivated by local pride, Buck also owns a restaurant in downtown St. Louis. So he's got a financial interest in the new stadium being built. Which might help explain the tantrum.

He put it in the wrong place to benefit from peak Rams. It's between the Blues' and Cardinals' places. I'd expect it to get plenty of business for either of those two, but it seems off the beaten path for new or old Rams' stadiums.

But I'm an out-of-towner who comes for the road teams and specifically parks in that area to avoid the crowds. And I could get closer because it's still several blocks away from any sign of people on NFL game day.

He put it in the wrong place to benefit from peak Rams. It's between the Blues' and Cardinals' places. I'd expect it to get plenty of business for either of those two, but it seems off the beaten path for new or old Rams' stadiums.

But I'm an out-of-towner who comes for the road teams and specifically parks in that area to avoid the crowds. And I could get closer because it's still several blocks away from any sign of people on NFL game day.

You can't count on a football team to keep your restaurant afloat; it's 12 dates a year IF you have a couple of home playoff games.

The strange thing is that Buck's restaurant isn't exactly next to the EJD let alone the riverfront site. It's a 20 minute walk to EJD which would be even longer if the new stadium gets built. Hell, my wife and I were thinking of stopping by there but between our hotel being next to EJD and us deciding to add a day trip to see all the Lincoln stuff in Springfield we didn't bother.

VmWIn6B.png

Yeah, but I think he's counting on the overall area improvement that the stadium is supposed to bring.

Or maybe he's just an entitled rich kid used to handouts. Either way.

Yeah, but, like... how often does development actually follow a football stadium?

That's not the question. The question is how often is development promised to follow a stadium.

Fight the good fight, Joe! I'd rather have Buck taken off broadcasting duties than the Rams move back to Los Angeles.

I think it's far more likely we'll get the inverse.

How much stock do you guys put in the NFL's supposed stance that they don't want 3 teams in Southern California(Meaning LA AND SD)?

As a casual fan who knows nothing much about it... enough I suppose. 3 franchises in the single SoCal tv market, unique cities or not, is a thing.

We're talking about a league that's been doing gangbusters without a single LA team for decades.

I'll be fascinated to see what happens with the Raiders if the Rams & Chargers were to be the 2x LA moves.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

How much stock do you guys put in the NFL's supposed stance that they don't want 3 teams in Southern California(Meaning LA AND SD)?

As a casual fan who knows nothing much about it... enough I suppose. 3 franchises in the single SoCal tv market, unique cities or not, is a thing.

We're talking about a league that's been doing gangbusters without a single LA team for decades.

I'll be fascinated to see what happens with the Raiders if the Rams & Chargers were to be the 2x LA moves.

Keep in mind the population of Southern California is north of 20 million people, with probably 80% of that being in the LA metro.

Also the one thing that gives me pause about the Rams is that Kroenke is a native born and raised Missourian.

Yeah, um...very rare is the 1%er who actually feels regional/hometown pride to the extent that it is allowed to dictate decisions.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't think very many people would miss him if he stepped away from the NFL booth. I don't care for the guy's style myself, but I do think he generally works when it comes to baseball. So I think he'd be missed there.

Since there were pages on pizza and provel cheese...

As someone who likes Joe Buck post the Randy Moss "mooning", where does all the dislike come from, and its not just him.

Did it start from 1994-96 when FOX got the NFC and MLB contracts and hired four, young legacy broadcasters in their 20's?

Kenny Albert (Marv's kid)

Joe Buck (Jack's kid)

Chip Caray (Skip's kid and Harry's grandkid) for MLB

Thom Brennaman (Marty's kid)

Or is it that Buck is now married to Michelle Beisner?

Michelle_Beisner_Saks_Fifth_Avenue_Hosts