NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

Chicago toyed with cutting the aldermen from 50 to 25 but the aldermen didn't seem interested in their own demises. Why have any if all they do is rubber-stamp everything Rahm does?

Additionally, Chicago aldermen function as something like feudal lords, having a certain amount of autonomous executive power over their respective wards. I don't think many cities do this, probably for good reason.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lease in St. Louis. The one that's still in effect. The NFL could seize it along with the player contracts, revoke the Rams franchise, and either operate a team in St. Louis on their own or with a new owner - that's an established right in the NFL's Constitution and Bylaws. But it's a nuclear option that hasn't been exercised in around 70 years and even threatened in 50.

You mean the lease that is now run on a year-to-year basis?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Here's an LA Times article that may hint at Stan Kroenke's other plans at Inglewood, namely that the stadium itself may be up in the air based on the NFL's approval (or lack thereof). But as the case may be, he's Silent Stan. :P

More evidence that Kroenke will not go rogue. I still think there is about a 50/50 chance he gets to move to LA, but if he doesn't I do maintain the belief that he will either take the STL deal or build his own in Maryland Heights.

The lease in St. Louis. The one that's still in effect. The NFL could seize it along with the player contracts, revoke the Rams franchise, and either operate a team in St. Louis on their own or with a new owner - that's an established right in the NFL's Constitution and Bylaws. But it's a nuclear option that hasn't been exercised in around 70 years and even threatened in 50.

You mean the lease that is now run on a year-to-year basis?

This is actually a good question. The lease is invoked on a year-to-year basis, but contractually exists—I believe—through 2024.

So... this could go either way. You could interpret it as him NOT having a lease right now for the NFL to take control of. Or you could say that lease exists for 9 more seasons for the NFL to take control of. I really don't know the answer.

I'm pretty sure that the lease exists, legally. The team has the option to renew it every year through the end of the original term (the CVC has no such option to void it, and is stuck with it as-is).

The two parties could theoretically negotiate an extension if both were interested, absurd as that seems.

Here's an LA Times article that may hint at Stan Kroenke's other plans at Inglewood, namely that the stadium itself may be up in the air based on the NFL's approval (or lack thereof). But as the case may be, he's Silent Stan. :P

More evidence that Kroenke will not go rogue. I still think there is about a 50/50 chance he gets to move to LA, but if he doesn't I do maintain the belief that he will either take the STL deal or build his own in Maryland Heights.

Wishful thinking, my friend.

Saying that they're waiting for the NFL's approval before starting stadium construction is just polite. It is in no way a commitment that they won't go ahead and build it anyway if the NFL says "No."

Saying that they're waiting for the NFL's approval before starting stadium construction is just polite. It is in no way a commitment that they won't go ahead and build it anyway if the NFL says "No."

Do you really think they're going to build it with Carson being built at the same time? I'd give that a 1% chance of happening.

Do you really think they're going to build it with Carson being built at the same time? I'd give that a 1% chance of happening.

It's not like he'd have trouble getting events for the venue.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't think Stan cares much at all about the Carson project, frankly.

Sure, he would prefer to be the only team in town, or to have the second team paying him rent, but I don't see him giving up on the dream just because the NFL decides that the Chargers and Raiders can give it a go as well. If the NFL even does decide that, which is far from certain.

Well, Carson still has a lot of work to do to even get ready to build a stadium. They still have to remove tons of toxic waste since their site was a landfill for over 50 years. People keep forgetting about this. Whereas the Inglewood site is literally ready to start building now. Carson would be playing catch up to the Inglewood site.

I think another thing we have to point out is that even though sides have their various supporters, Kronke's supporters are among the most powerful, and wealthy owners in the NFL. Money talks. I can't see Kronke's stadium not being the one approved considering that. He also is willing to take on a partner yet Spanos wants no part of it. I can't help to think that will work against Spanos.

Do we know how Carson will be financed?

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Yes - Goldman Sachs. The funding mechanism is geared towards two teams (with two sets of events, two sets of PSLs, etc) but we were at one point told it could be re-worked to accommodate just one team the Chargers if necessary. But I'm not sure we know that for sure, or if anybody's said how that would work. I presume Goldman Sachs would pick up the difference, but then they'll want a bigger chunk of the Charger's revenue.

I don't think the toxic cleanup will prevent the Carson plan for being built, but it does make the timeline (and ultimate price) just a guess at this point. There will be a ton of environmental certification to handle, possibly years' worth, which the Inglewood plan already took care of.

Well, Carson still has a lot of work to do to even get ready to build a stadium. They still have to remove tons of toxic waste since their site was a landfill for over 50 years. People keep forgetting about this. Whereas the Inglewood site is literally ready to start building now. Carson would be playing catch up to the Inglewood site.

I think another thing we have to point out is that even though sides have their various supporters, Kronke's supporters are among the most powerful, and wealthy owners in the NFL. Money talks. I can't see Kronke's stadium not being the one approved considering that. He also is willing to take on a partner yet Spanos wants no part of it. I can't help to think that will work against Spanos.

Do we know how Carson will be financed?

Apparently the clean-up will go on as it's being built and won't produce any delays.

I don't think Stan cares much at all about the Carson project, frankly.

Sure, he would prefer to be the only team in town, or to have the second team paying him rent, but I don't see him giving up on the dream just because the NFL decides that the Chargers and Raiders can give it a go as well. If the NFL even does decide that, which is far from certain.

There is 0.1% chance of 3 teams in LA. It just won't happen.

Looks like StlEagle got the ol' captive bolt to the brain. Let that be a lesson to the rest of youse: when you make up percentages, you have a 100% chance of being banned.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Looks like StlEagle got the ol' captive bolt to the brain. Let that be a lesson to the rest of youse: when you make up percentages, you have a 100% chance of being banned.

Nah. StlEagle just messed up on account creation. He thought he was linking his CCSLC account to other social media accounts and accidentally created a new account instead. He indicated he wanted the StlEagle account shut down.

Who would connect this place to other social media accounts?

Some nutbar who wants to invite stalkers.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived