NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

Whether it's desirable or not, St. Louis is the only city with an actionable plan on the table.

Yes, that's the standard line, but until St. Louis actually comes up with all the financing it just ain't so. :P

In my opinion there is a difference between a preferred NFL plan and a plan that's actionable. As I said, the NFL doesn't have to actually accept this plan to decide it's a really good start.

There is a $100m divide between St. Louis and the NFL right now. But the fact of the matter is the public funds are available tomorrow if the NFL and the Rams decided it wanted to invest that extra $100m and get the stadium built.

It's actionable by definition. Preferred or acceptable is something else. I'm very open about the fact that the NFL probably doesn't want this stadium. But the NFL has to make a choice right now (or choose not to make choice), and the fact that St. Louis has an actionable stadium plan on the table that may not be too far removed from being acceptable could slant towards keeping the team in St. Louis. Or it might not. Or it might but it might still be outweighed by other things.

But it's silly and disingenuous to suggest St. Louis' offer is equivalent to nothing because of a $100m gap. Rather, it is what it is. An offer that is $100m short.

Whether it's desirable or not, St. Louis is the only city with an actionable plan on the table.

Yes, that's the standard line, but until St. Louis actually comes up with all the financing it just ain't so. :P

In my opinion there is a difference between a preferred NFL plan and a plan that's actionable. As I said, the NFL doesn't have to actually accept this plan to decide it's a really good start.

There is a $100m divide between St. Louis and the NFL right now. But the fact of the matter is the public funds are available tomorrow if the NFL and the Rams decided it wanted to invest that extra $100m and get the stadium built.

It's actionable by definition. Preferred or acceptable is something else. I'm very open about the fact that the NFL probably doesn't want this stadium. But the NFL has to make a choice right now (or choose not to make choice), and the fact that St. Louis has an actionable stadium plan on the table that may not be too far removed from being acceptable could slant towards keeping the team in St. Louis. Or it might not. Or it might but it might still be outweighed by other things.

But it's silly and disingenuous to suggest St. Louis' offer is equivalent to nothing because of a $100m gap. Rather, it is what it is. An offer that is $100m short.

It's not actionable if it's not serious. They haven't found all the funding yet, neither have they accounted for overruns or contingencies.

I'll give them this - it's more detailed than the Oakland proposal, which was in its entirety "Let them pay for it." But it amounts to about the same thing.

But you and I have danced this dance before. We'll have to agree to disagree, my friend.

I'm trying to find it. It was a tweet by the reporter Chris Meyers, but now I can't seem to find it. We've known for a while that the Rams have been in talks with a stadium in Los Angeles though.

My question is that if two teams are approved to relocate, where's the second team going to play? The Coliseum will only allow one team to play there.

The Raiders could use a chunk of that billion dollars in relocation fee money to build themselves a nice little palace in Coliseum City.

$30M doesn't go very far in stadium building...

The thinking all along has been that whoever gets left out is going to get some additional league help with their own situation.

The Raiders could use a chunk of that billion dollars in relocation fee money to build themselves a nice little palace in Coliseum City.

$30M doesn't go very far in stadium building...

The thinking all along has been that whoever gets left out is going to get some additional league help with their own situation.

Except in the Raiders case the league's position is that they already have a new stadium to play in that the league put G4 money toward at Levis Stadium. That venue still has a locker room ready and waiting for them. And the city of Oakland has made it clear they'll be providing $0 toward any stadium effort in Oakland. So the league isn't going to be throwing money at something they don't think they need to.

Kroenke's making his first move. Inglewood stadium's getting built regardless of what the league decides.

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/morning_call/2016/01/kroenke-building-l-a-stadium-with-or-without-nfl.html

Well, the Inglewood mayor backed off his claims that the Inglewood stadium will be built regardless of the outcome. Maybe it's spin, maybe it's damage control. Either way, it was fun while it lasted.

EDIT: Anywho, here's the Rams' relocation application, saying that they'd bring the "best long-term opportunities" to Los Angeles.

In the Post-Dispatcj, Tony Messenger writes about a new complication with the Missouri funding:

http://stltoday.com/news/local/columns/tony-messenger/messenger-the-day-the-stadium-died/article_cb2145db-75fb-5d45-9c78-b2959ccfd44b.html

Basically, the president pro tem of the Senate is calling into question their ability to count on the $12M/year from the state. The article doesn't say what he could or would do, but indicates this is bad news.

Messenger also indicates the shady dealings (if not outright lies and unethical conduct) by the governor. Ugh.

Yet another power move by Kroenke choosing to release the Rams relocation application. He's forcing the NFL to think about the consequences of sending whichever team or teams don't get approved back to their home market.

Despite applying for relocation, Dean Spanos and Mark Davis have done very little but express love and passion for their current home markets.

Stan Kroenke just burnt down the Eads, Musial, Poplar, MacArthur, and MLK. There are no bridges left.

May sit out this thread for a while. Not the doing of any of you. But reading through this application from Kroenke makes it hard to offer anything but emotion.

I don't care about the NFL or football (not in positive ways anyways) anymore. In fact, I'd rather my city be rid of them. But I care about St. Louis so damned much, and I can't read page after page of attack on my city—by a petulant, conniving billionaire no less—and keep my responses rational.

I may end back here tomorrow morning, who knows. But right now I've gotta breathe. And by breathe, I mean tweet.