NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

Washinton has begun preliminary work on their next stadium, even though their lease still has ten years left.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2015/aug/17/bruce-allen-redskins-preliminary-stages-stadium/

I don't think it's about loopholing their way out so much as how hard it is to build around the District.

But no, I don't think it's about indoor v. outdoor. It's about suites, square footage of merchandising points, aisle width, and all the other elements specified in the contract. St. Louis made the mistake of promising to keep up with innovations in stadium design, not considering or realizing just how much that would cost.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly. The only fundamental flaw in the dome was the top-tier lease clause. I even read once (can't find source now) that the Rams proposed that clause not thinking STL would go for it, but my city foolishly did.

Also, I think they banked too much on Frontiere wanting to return to her hometown and did not keep in mind that her heirs would sell the team as they did.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

If St Louis had built an outdoor stadium in 95 instead of a dome would the Rams still be moving? I haven't heard anything about the Panthers, Ravens, Redskins or Buccaneers needing new stadiums.

The dome had already been designed and construction has already started before the Rams had even thought of relocation. In fact, the dome was originally to be for the Patriots (hence the blue and red seats).

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

And Carolina used L.A. to get some renovations approved within the past few years.

Some. But unlike most other places, to their credit Charlotte didn't buckle. Jerry Richardson made some public noise about moving to Los Angeles, whereupon a Charlotte city council rep told him privately to pound sand. I think he did wind up getting about a fifth of what he had been asking for, but nobody held a gun to anyone's head that time.

nav-logo.png

Alternate scenario: pull a Hornacats/Pelicans. Chargers move to LA, Rams stay in STL, Rams rename themselves to the Archers/Jorts/Ravioli Toasters, Chargers rebrand to the LA Rams. In a league where we're forced to believe that the Cleveland Browns franchise went on a three-year sabbatical and aren't a two-time Super Bowl champion what's to prevent another wool-over-eyes situation?

Christ.

Let's remember there are some Rams fans who will stay with the team in the event of a move and would rather that there not be any shell game that would only serve to make my head explode.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-nfl-la-relocation-20160112-story.html

NFL consensus builds for a Rams-Chargers stadium project in Inglewood

"One owner said that the NFL has to realize that "we just can't solve all three stadium problems in one fell swoop."

It would mean striking a bargain that keeps the Raiders out of L.A. but doesn't leave them empty handed. Such a maneuver could mean that the Raiders return to Oakland in the short term, but can explore relocating to other cities, among them San Diego, St. Louis or joining the San Francisco 49ers in their new stadium in Santa Clara."

Btw, why does Jacksonville have a team?

Because Paul Tagliabue was going to move heaven and earth to make sure the NFL expanded into new Sun Belt cities instead of Baltimore and St. Louis (even if at least one of those ciites was much smaller and would struggle to draw fans for many years).

Not really. The problem was they were going to give the Jaguars franchise to the St. Louis group, but said ownership group imploded in the 11th hour. Jacksonville was the only choice in the subsequent :censored: WE NEED ANOTHER MARKET Chinese fire drill that followed.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

"Even if an NFL team was owned by a deranged chimpanzee, coached by a staff of rabid squirrels, had a small-brained ostrich dancing backwards in the 'war room' while trying to draft the players, and played home games -- guaranteed profit."

http://www.101sports.com/2016/01/06/kroenkes-relocation-application-troll-job-backfire/

I really wanted that sentence to end with a reference to the "on-field gorilla" rule.

Check the books from when Kroenke picked up the Rosenbloom's stake because this basically describes the Scott Linehan Rams.

Today, we are all otaku.

"One owner said that the NFL has to realize that "we just can't solve all three stadium problems in one fell swoop."

It would mean striking a bargain that keeps the Raiders out of L.A. but doesn't leave them empty handed. Such a maneuver could mean that the Raiders return to Oakland in the short term, but can explore relocating to other cities, among them San Diego, St. Louis or joining the San Francisco 49ers in their new stadium in Santa Clara."

I wonder if, part of this agreement, that the Rams and Chargers build the stadium with their own money and their portion of the NFL's G4 $200 million loan goes to the Raiders (giving them $600 million) in their quest in trying to build a stadium.

I know the Raiders haven't been looking to build a stadium, but if $600 million were suddenly available, perhaps they go that route?

$2.66 Billion for Inglewood?

The final price tag for a state-of-the-art stadium in Inglewood proposed by Rams owner Stan Kroenke could reach $2.66 billion, team officials have told NFL senior staff and league owners.

The stadium cost after financing is $800 million more than the previously reported cost for the stadium, and would make it the most expensive stadium ever built by more than $1 billion.

New Jersey’s MetLife Stadium, home of the NFL’s Giants and Jets, opened in 2010 with a $1.6 billion price tag making it the world’s most expensive stadium built to date. The Cowboy’s AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, the so-called “Jerry’s World,” and the 49ers new Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara each came with $1.3 billion tabs. The new Yankee Stadium came at a cost of $1.5 billion.

So next season USC, the Rams and Chargers may all be calling the LA Coliseum home til the Inglewood Stadium is built? If so, I guarantee that field will be wrecked by the second week of October. Hope they have a good grounds crew.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

So next season USC, the Rams and Chargers may all be calling the LA Coliseum home til the Inglewood Stadium is built? If so, I guarantee that field will be wrecked by the second week of October. Hope they have a good grounds crew.

That would be bad.

Definitely would need to re-sod about twice to have decent grass throughout the season.

I wonder if, part of this agreement, that the Rams and Chargers build the stadium with their own money and their portion of the NFL's G4 $200 million loan goes to the Raiders (giving them $600 million) in their quest in trying to build a stadium.

I know the Raiders haven't been looking to build a stadium, but if $600 million were suddenly available, perhaps they go that route?

They're not going to give any money, or any thumbs up to build a stadium anywhere unless Mark sells. That's the reason why LA is getting solved so fast, the NFL owners collectively want Mark out of their club more badly than anything else.

Yeah, I could see them quietly suggesting that he sell his remaining 47%. They could even work out a stadium deal in advance to bump up the price as an enticement.

It sure as hell isn't going to be quiet. The Raiders ownership change is going to be a big mess.

They'll do what they want, and they'll have business reasons for doing so. But man it will be a hoot if the NFL gives Oakland anything beyond $200 million in G4 money after specifically saying St. Louis' stadium proposal is inadequate because it requests $300 million in league money vs. the $200 million that is standard.

Archived