NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

Dean Spanos should get hit by a bus, then the bus should back up and drive over him again. Then the bus should back up a second time and drive over him a third time.

Just over the legs, though. It's important he keeps feeling it each time. Or at least, the first seventeen or so.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly though, Spanos needs to go :censored: himself.

You're now qualified to be a Chargers fan.

Speaking of which...

I'm a Chargers fan with no connection to San Diego. I'm a fan because my dad's family spent their summers there, so dad became a Chargers fan and I "inherited" that.

I'm telling you all this because while I have no real connection to San Diego my dad does. Not as much as someone from there, but he knows the city and thinks fondly of it. We were talking about this whole mess and I brought up the fact that the Chargers are probably going to move to LA one way or another. I'm going to try and reconstruct the relevant bit of that conversation as best I can.

Dad: "Why would the Chargers move? It should be the Raiders and Rams. The Chargers were never a LA team."

Me: "Well they played there for a year, for their first season."

Dad: "That doesn't count and no one cares."

Me: "Well Spanos wants to move back because he says the Rams moving to LA would damage his revenue streams."

Dad: "Dean Spanos is an idiot."

That pretty much sums it up. Los Angeles Chargers: they don't count and no one cares. Also? Dean Spanos? Idiot.

Yep.

Honestly though, Spanos needs to go :censored: himself.

You're now qualified to be a Chargers fan.

Speaking of which...

I'm a Chargers fan with no connection to San Diego. I'm a fan because my dad's family spent their summers there, so be became a Chargers fan and I "inherited" that.

I'm telling you all this because while I have no real connection to San Diego my dad does. Not as much as someone from there, but he knows the city and thinks fondly of it. We were talking about this whole mess and I brought up the fact that the Chargers are probably going to move to LA one way or another. I'm going to try and reconstruct the relevant bit of that conversation as best I can.

Dad: "Why would the Chargers move? It should be the Raiders and Rams. The Chargers were never a LA team."

Me: "Well they played there for a year, for their first season."

Dad: "That doesn't count and no one cares."

Me: "Well Spanos wants to move back because he says the Rams moving to LA would damage his revenue streams."

Dad: "Dean Spanos is an idiot."

That pretty much sums it up. Los Angeles Chargers: they don't count and no one cares. Also? Dean Spanos? Idiot.

Yep.

Yep. They're ditching the city where they've spent all but one year of their entire existence in, for a place where they're guaranteed to be second fiddle, and Spanos is too much of an idiot to realize that. It's sad, really.

I mean, they're a crappy franchise that often doesn't try that hard. Their uniforms suck. Their owner sucks. They'd play in the same stadium as the Rams and represent the same geographical region. Why would anybody pick the Chargers to root for? I believe the Rams are going to go on a nice little run in the coming years, but even setting that aside, the only reason to root for the Chargers would be if you're a contrarian, because I'd imagine most other people would root for the Rams.

That is, unless the league figures LA has awful fans who will go to games just to say they did, calmly golf-clapping for whichever Los Angeles team is playing that day. I can't imagine a large number of people actively rooting for both teams for many years.

What you just described is the plight of the Los Angeles Clippers: a team that moved to LA from San Diego to play second fiddle to a team that moved from the Midwest and now share a building.

Congratulations, Dean Spanos. You gave up what you had to become the Clippers. I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Hope people are kind with my city tonight, people will be hurting.

My Dad had Rams season tickets in the nose bleeds for a dozen years. I'd say we went to about 60-70 games together over the course of 20 years, still going to a few games a year even after he gave the tickets up (I had moved out of state and it was starting to get difficult for him to get people to go with him. Plus with StubHub we got some great deals on tix the last few years.)

He always found free parking several blocks from the dome and I learned in middle school to walk real fast because he always wanted to beat the traffic after the game. I usually as a kid made him stay to the end even if they were losing by 21 with 2 minutes left.

Even this year with 40-45K in the dome, that place could get quite loud. There is no reason that dome (and the Georgia Dome) couldn't last 20 more years as a NFL stadium with some reasonable renovations like the CVC proposed in its second and final plan (expanded club level and concourse, windows to let in more light, center scoreboard, etc.). The only thing fundamentally wrong with the dome was the stupid lease it had.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

:censored:

We're going to be the football Clippers.

Can Dean please get caught being racist?

I agree that the NFL has botched this. Not good.

This should just be stuck at the beginning of every NFL thread from here on out. admiral's right. This whole thing is reaching NHL levels of absurd.

It's going to be the Rams/Chargers in Inglewood.

"Fred Roggin

Fred Roggin Verified account ‏@FredNBCLA

#Rams #Chargers. Waiting for official vote.. and they'll have it after Jerry Jones, Tom Benson, Paul Allen and Jeff Lurie finish eating. Everyone going back in.. Final vote coming. Looks like Rams and Chargers."

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

:censored:

We're going to be the football Clippers.

Can Dean please get caught being racist?

I agree that the NFL has botched this. Not good.

This should just be stuck at the beginning of every NFL thread from here on out. admiral's right. This whole thing is reaching NHL levels of absurd.

how about the Jets? lol only 5 teams more valuable than them.

@JasonLaCanfora

Raiders will receive additional loan money earmarked for a future stadium in their home market when this becomes official I'm told

Any word on who got the 24 votes needed to move?

Second vote hasn't occurred yet or is going on as I type this. In the first vote the proposal with the Rams to Inglewood with a TBD partner got the most votes, 21 I believe. It's been reported they are going to get the remaining votes needed and this is all but over. With the Chargers joining the Rams in Inglewood.

Archived