NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

I hate that roof so much.  It's better than a solid dome roof I guess, but It's freaking LA - it should be an open-air venue (at least when football is being played.)

I'm shocked that the technology doesn't exist yet for some kind of less-bulky retractable roof, like something that "rolls" out or "unfolds" like tarp (but that clear material.)

• Like 6

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Remember in the olden days when stadiums looked like stadiums?  I appreciate innovation as much as anyone, but sometimes it's just not necessary to fix what ain't broke.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I understand Oakland's got financial issues, but there's a shot that they could lose all 3 of their current franchises. We know the Warriors are leaving, albeit just across the bay but still. The Raiders and A's are constantly on the verge of pulling out. They've got the current best team in basketball, who will probably remain on top for the better part of the next decade. The Raiders are one of the most historic franchises in football, as are the A's in baseball.

Even though the Raiders haven't been the greatest for a while, Oakland's got it pretty good as far as having decent, competitive teams. Yet, they (the government, not the fans) don't seem to care about their teams. It just seems like a pro-sports graveyard.

What about the Raiders to San Jose? I know SJ has been trying to get the A's....does the NFL/49ers have a territorial right like the Giants in the MLB do?

Edit- I just realized that Santa Clara basically is San Jose. Nevermind. 

Edited by tigerslionspistonshabs

sig.png

26 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Remember in the olden days when stadiums looked like stadiums?  I appreciate innovation as much as anyone, but sometimes it's just not necessary to fix what ain't broke.

Doesn't the proximity to LAX require it to be pretty low? Not that that explains the weird Gehryesque roof. Oh well, we'll just have to enjoy the L.A. Rams on grass in sunlight while we can.

I agree with you, though. FedExField is the finest stadium qua stadium around. There's nothing to it. It's just what it is.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

21 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yes, they'll have to carve out into the ground.  But that's certainly not unheard of - Lambeau Field's playing surface is below ground level.  They excavated 50 feet down for the field at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo.

I'd imagine that most of the newer stadiums are partially below ground level. Generally you enter at the top of the lower level and walk down to your seats. With Soldier Field, it's all above ground because that area is landfill and below the water level.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I read something that the stadium will be able to host final fours etc. I know the stadium has a roof but is opened on both sides so wind could get in, now what would happen if they had the final four set up on a windy or rainy day...wouldn't this affect the game?

49 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

You'd be surprised how many venues in general have the playing surface below ground level. 

Basically anywhere but Florida and places right along the coast can dig down since the water table isn't right below the surface.

New Comiskey/USCF was originally to be built partially in-ground, but even 4 miles west of the Lake, the water level was still too high in that area. It would have been kinda cool had the field been below ground level - riding the train into town and being able to see the players on the field from that vantage point.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Different sport, but Citizens Bank Park's field is below ground as well.  Not sure there was any real reason for it, though I'd imagine it saves on some cost because that's less exterior facade to build.

Same with Camden Yards.  The entrance and main concourse are all at street level, which is the same height as the flag court behind the RF wall and the standing room area behind the bullpens.

Oriole_Park_Baltimore.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

6 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Different sport, but Citizens Bank Park's field is below ground as well.  Not sure there was any real reason for it, though I'd imagine it saves on some cost because that's less exterior facade to build.

Actually, excavation would be considerably more expensive than building higher above ground level. Teams have done this primarily because they feel it makes for a more intimate experience at the game. The stadium looks less imposing from the outside, it provides better views of the outside world at the game, and it lets the stadium be better incorporated into the neighborhood without completely dwarfing everything else.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

10 minutes ago, TheOldRoman said:

Actually, excavation would be considerably more expensive than building higher above ground level. Teams have done this primarily because they feel it makes for a more intimate experience at the game. The stadium looks less imposing from the outside, it provides better views of the outside world at the game, and it lets the stadium be better incorporated into the neighborhood without completely dwarfing everything else.

I know this was part of the consideration with Camden Yards.  Since the field is below street level, the stadium doesn't dwarf the nearby houses and winds up being basically (if not exactly) the same height as the B&O Warehouse.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

12 hours ago, the admiral said:

With the Rams in place, can the Chargers still claim Los Angeles as a secondary television market and require all their road games to be aired? I know one of the things people liked about no team in Los Angeles was that they got the "best" games every week. With Fox mostly tied up with Rams games, maybe CBS will be able to carry the best AFC games instead of the Chargers.

Probably becomes a deal similar to Oakland/San Francisco and Baltimore/Washington.....