duma

NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

That makes sense. Guessing Washington always gets the Ravens and Baltimore the Redskins?

I wonder if the St. Louis affiliate will still carry Rams games. Guessing no.

6 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I understand Oakland's got financial issues, but there's a shot that they could lose all 3 of their current franchises. We know the Warriors are leaving, albeit just across the bay but still. The Raiders and A's are constantly on the verge of pulling out. They've got the current best team in basketball, who will probably remain on top for the better part of the next decade. The Raiders are one of the most historic franchises in football, as are the A's in baseball.

Even though the Raiders haven't been the greatest for a while, Oakland's got it pretty good as far as having decent, competitive teams. Yet, they (the government, not the fans) don't seem to care about their teams. It just seems like a pro-sports graveyard. 

The professional sports franchises of Oakland didn't elect those government officials into office - their citizens did.  And the citizens have made it fairly clear in Oakland:  no subsidizing pro sports teams with public funds.  I don't blame city officials for their stance, and if Oakland's pro sports franchises all walk as a result?  They walk.

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yes, they'll have to carve out into the ground.  But that's certainly not unheard of - Lambeau Field's playing surface is below ground level.  They excavated 50 feet down for the field at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo.

Dodger Stadium is another one.

On 2/3/2016 at 1:38 PM, Mac the Knife said:

The professional sports franchises of Oakland didn't elect those government officials into office - their citizens did.  And the citizens have made it fairly clear in Oakland:  no subsidizing pro sports teams with public funds.  I don't blame city officials for their stance, and if Oakland's pro sports franchises all walk as a result?  They walk.

Dodger Stadium is another one.

Dodger is a bit unique in that it wasn't so much built into the ground, as it was built into the side of a ravine. It's not really below ground when you're in the outfield. Petco Park in San Diego is somewhat opposite of it, with the stadium actually below ground level in the outfield but at ground level for most of the main grandstand.

The glorious Oakland Raiders ingloriously lose a 2016 home game to Mexico City. BRING ON THE CHOLO JOKES!

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Dodger is a bit unique in that it wasn't so much built into the ground, as it was built into the side of a ravine. It's not really below ground when you're in the outfield. Petco Park in San Diego is somewhat opposite of it, with the stadium actually below ground level in the outfield but at ground level for most of the main grandstand.

Lambeau Field is much the same way - they started with terrain that had a natural bowl shape.  They still excavated down, although that might have been during one of the many renovations. 

Johnny Unitas Stadium at Towson University is also in a natural bowl.  Only the upper portion of the south stands (left on the picture below) and the press/suite tower are above ground

fc432ae90e8184097d86c6c155a0a1eb9664f38a.

Two of the other interesting examples of this were Pitt Stadium at the University of Pittsburgh . . . 

PittStadium1.JPG Old114040.jpg

. . . and the original Kezar Stadium in San Francisco.

kezar-detroit1957Chronicle.jpg Kezar_Stadium_Blog.jpg?32543

Wow. That first picture of Kezar Stadium is incredible. I can't believe the people are sitting on the gabled roof. That's got to be a 45 degree angle.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Those last two look like more they were built into the side of a hill.

That is true.  One side of each is buried, but the rest is above ground.

The 49ers were still playing in Kezar during my lifetime, but not long enough for me to remember it (I'm old, but I'm not that old).  Just from the pictures of the place, it is one of my favorite old stadiums.

My dad had season tickets to the Niners when they were at Kezar. John Brodie was the quarterback, and apparently tickets were really cheap and easy to get. 

Its it's funny to think of the Niners trying to slam a park like Levis Stadium in the old Kezar lot in GGP. That would be an insanely cool spot for a stadium, but totally impossible. 

I'm hearing Kezar bandied about a lot as an option for a minor-league soccer team.  What's the transit access?  My knowledge of Kezar is pretty much limited to the second act of Dirty Harry.

17 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I'm hearing Kezar bandied about a lot as an option for a minor-league soccer team.  What's the transit access?  My knowledge of Kezar is pretty much limited to the second act of Dirty Harry.

Transit access is inconsequential; Kezar today might handle a good high school football crowd, but that's about it.

24 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Isn't it still 10,000?  That would be fine for the NASL. 

Didn't we go over this in the 2015 North American Soccer thread?

Yes, it seats 10K, but less than 1200 are seat backs, which were reclaimed from Candlestick.

The Muni bus lines (6,7,43, and 71) all go to the stadium but the N-Judah street car is about a block uphill away from the stadium (corner of Carl/Stanyan). Your closest non-GG Park parking garage is at UCSF which is on the N-Judah line. 

On February 3, 2016 at 6:55 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

I hate that roof so much.  It's better than a solid dome roof I guess, but It's freaking LA - it should be an open-air venue (at least when football is being played.)

I'm shocked that the technology doesn't exist yet for some kind of less-bulky retractable roof, like something that "rolls" out or "unfolds" like tarp (but that clear material.)

I agree, it's a weird looking stadium.  I'm not crazy about the design.  It doesn't even look like a football stadium on the outside, just some weird futuristic building.  It doesn't look like it serves a function either.  And I agree if any city should have an open air stadium, it's LA.  A while back the Chargers were talking about their stadium having a soft retractable roof made of a lightweight fabric of some kind.  Farmers Field was going to have a removable roof made of a lightweight material that could be removed and installed within a few hours.

On February 3, 2016 at 8:20 AM, AstroBull21 said:

You'd be surprised how many venues in general have the playing surface below ground level. 

Basically anywhere but Florida and places right along the coast can dig down since the water table isn't right below the surface.

I'd imagine most of them do.  It makes it better for the fans sitting in the lower bowl, since they can just walk straight in to their seats instead of going up a flight of stairs or an escalator.

Pretty frustrating to hear Roger Goodell continuing to discuss the Rams move as them "returning home" and various such things. I get that talk from fans. Even from the Rams trying to drum up excitement. But it's pretty infuriating from league officials still trying to maintain that they treated St. Louis fairly in the process.

I don't know if embracing teams to returning to a previous long-term home market (I won't even get into the silly game of where they started) is a road the NFL wants to really go down. But as with everything else, such hypocrisy will go largely unnoticed and certainly unpunished with these guys.

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

Didn't we go over this in the 2015 North American Soccer thread?

Yes, it seats 10K, but less than 1200 are seat backs, which were reclaimed from Candlestick.

The Muni bus lines (6,7,43, and 71) all go to the stadium but the N-Judah street car is about a block uphill away from the stadium (corner of Carl/Stanyan). Your closest non-GG Park parking garage is at UCSF which is on the N-Judah line. 

I vaguely recall discussing it but not the details.  Thanks!