NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

Does the league have to approve relocation for the Chargers a second time, or does last year's vote mean they're free to go? Because seeing as the league is offering hundreds of millions to both beleaguered California teams if they build new stadiums, San Diego is facilitating the building of a new stadium, and Kroenke is currently NHLing the Inglewood project, maybe it'd be best for them to stay put.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Does the league have to approve relocation for the Chargers a second time, or does last year's vote mean they're free to go? Because seeing as the league is offering hundreds of millions to both beleaguered California teams if they build new stadiums, San Diego is facilitating the building of a new stadium, and Kroenke is currently NHLing the Inglewood project, maybe it'd be best for them to stay put.

Per LA Times' Sam Farmer:

As part of the NFL-brokered compromise that allowed the Rams to return to Southern California after a two-decade absence, the Chargers hold a one-year option to play in Inglewood. The Rams can’t sell personal seat licenses, suites or naming rights for the new stadium until the Chargers exercise the option or the Jan. 15 deadline passes.

The Chargers reached an agreement in principle in January to join the Rams, if they choose, and pay $1 a year as a tenant at the stadium and even filed to trademark “Los Angeles Chargers.” Owners could ratify the lease agreement at these meetings.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-nfl-meetings-raiders-chargers-20161213-story.html

17 hours ago, dfwabel said:

FWIW, the Alameda County Supervisors voted 3-1 (1 abstention) to aporove the Lott/City of Oakland term sheet.

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2016/12/13/ronnie-lott-groups-plan-to-keep-the-raiders-in-oakland-comes-to-a-vote/

Oakland City Council meets later tonight.

Oakland City council passed it too. But then NFL stadium point man Eric Grubman shat all over it...

So this is why the Chargers are/were so against Mission Valley:

http://mobile.dudasite.com/site/boltblitz_1?url=http%3A%2F%2Fboltblitz.com%2F%3Fp%3D21079&dm_redirected=true#2852

It would costs hundreds of millions more for infrastructure construction and environmental clean-up.

Still, between the Chargers own funds, the $300 million the NFL has committed, PSL's, Stadium Naming Rights, potentially partnering with SDSU there should be plenty of funds

I know that the part of the Qualcomm parking lot which they (advisory board) wish to put the stadium is below the flood plain.

FWIW, here is a link to their February 2015 proposal.

https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/files/legacy/real-estate-assets/pdf/stadium/missionvalleystadiumprivatefinancingproposal.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiHrdrVhvzQAhUjiFQKHSK6DIkQFggXMAQ&sig2=aAxzcodyi5rfi7A2AqNoaQ&usg=AFQjCNG1zJtCtMEFXBJvkz3BwPeGhtjOhQ

And a second link to their which repeats most of the previous  but from March 2015.

http://media.10news.com/document/2015/03/12/mission_valley_stadium_financing_proposal_031115_14932001_ver1.0.pdf

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I'm not sure how much I trust a Chargers fan blog. Especially one with such an obvious bias. 

I'll have to read a little bit more, see if his claims have any truth to them. 

Wouldn't a Chargers fan blog be doing the opposite and championing Mission Valley, as that's really the only option left in San Diego?

41 minutes ago, colortv said:

Wouldn't a Chargers fan blog be doing the opposite and championing Mission Valley, as that's really the only option left in San Diego?

Not if he wants to blame the city for the team leaving.

That's a really fascinating possibility.  The Chargers may be considering ditching sixty years of history and brand equity in their move 120 miles north.  

Kinda puts the lie to their assertion that a big percentage of their existing fanbase is in LA, doesn't it?  That they would feel the need to start fresh?

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That's a really fascinating possibility.  The Chargers may be considering ditching sixty years of history and brand equity in their move 120 miles north.  

Kinda puts the lie to their assertion that a big percentage of their existing fanbase is in LA, doesn't it?  That they would feel the need to start fresh?

I'd say it puts the idea that they have LA based fans into serious doubt. And the idea that they think they can maintain some part of the San Diego fanbase after they move as well.

15 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

I'd say it puts the idea that they have LA based fans into serious doubt. And the idea that they think they can maintain some part of the San Diego fanbase after they move as well.

Indeed.  Starting from scratch in LA tells us that Spanos knows he'll need to appeal to an entirely new group of fans, since the Chargers are willing to dispense with any connection to their past.

4 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Indeed.  Starting from scratch in LA tells us that Spanos knows he'll need to appeal to an entirely new group of fans, since the Chargers are willing to dispense with any connection to their past.

Not hard to cut ties with the past either when you've got a history of abject failure. I mean the Chargers have always been a look good on paper, but fail on field kind of team. And considering they've got 60 years of history in another city of doing that it makes plenty of sense. I keep seeing people say, but they started as the LA Chargers. And that's true, for half a year, playing to crowds most Texas high schools would laugh at. The Chargers name has no tie to LA at this point, and no chachet beyond the quaint idea that a team from lowly San Diego tried to claim the LA market as its own for 20 years. Reality however is that the Chargers were never much of a presence in Los Angeles and never made any inroads with the football fans there. The fact that Qualcomm was 75% full of Raiders fans (almost all from LA) yesterday belies that fact. The Chargers at best are the 3rd most popular football brand in their new home city (and likely lower behind USC, UCLA and a few other NFL teams).

A fresh start, breaking from the past failures, ties to a rival city, might be just what the doctor ordered. And as mentioned it allows the NFL to save what face is left in San Diego and not totally scorch the Earth.

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Not hard to cut ties with the past either when you've got a history of abject failure. I mean the Chargers have always been a look good on paper, but fail on field kind of team. And considering they've got 60 years of history in another city of doing that it makes plenty of sense. I keep seeing people say, but they started as the LA Chargers. And that's true, for half a year, playing to crowds most Texas high schools would laugh at. The Chargers name has no tie to LA at this point, and no chachet beyond the quaint idea that a team from lowly San Diego tried to claim the LA market as its own for 20 years. Reality however is that the Chargers were never much of a presence in Los Angeles and never made any inroads with the football fans there. The fact that Qualcomm was 75% full of Raiders fans (almost all from LA) yesterday belies that fact. The Chargers at best are the 3rd most popular football brand in their new home city (and likely lower behind USC, UCLA and a few other NFL teams).

A fresh start, breaking from the past failures, ties to a rival city, might be just what the doctor ordered. And as mentioned it allows the NFL to save what face is left in San Diego and not totally scorch the Earth.

The Vikings of the AFC?  I know their fanbase's pain.

If they do rebrand, then obviously, your point to my post was right; there won't be enough San Diegans(?) that would still follow the team.  Counter-intuitive to me, but what do I know?

As an outsider, I hope they don't rebrand.  I like the Chargers brand and I fear the history-swapping potential.  And the potential for a terrible identity.

I also question whether LA really needs two teams, particuarl when the Rams, LA's old team, are in town.  I feel like a second team would at best be the Clippers of football.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

12 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

The Vikings of the AFC?  I know their fanbase's pain.

If they do rebrand, then obviously, your point to my post was right; there won't be enough San Diegans(?) that would still follow the team.  Counter-intuitive to me, but what do I know?

As an outsider, I hope they don't rebrand.  I like the Chargers brand and I fear the history-swapping potential.  And the potential for a terrible identity.

I also question whether LA really needs two teams, particuarl when the Rams, LA's old team, are in town.  I feel like a second team would at best be the Clippers of football.

Oh they will definitely be the Clippers of football. Particularly if they keep performing like they have been and the Rams turn it around. But even absent that the Chargers brand has no real value in LA despite having had the market to themselves by default for 20+ years. San Diego and LA are just too far apart and two very different markets for a team in one to have any kind of major appeal to the other.

As for the history swapping potential, if the NFL is driving Spanos to make this change may be exactly why they're exploring it. If they leave San Diego with nothing much of the market will be scorched earth for the NFL. If they leave behind the name at least they give San Diego hope it might some day rejoin the NFL. And that the league could continue to have some relevance in the city. I know it seems counter intuitive that if you drop the Chargers name you'll actually retain more NFL fans in San Diego, but there just isn't much appetite to root for LA based teams in San Diego. It's akin to asking Bostonians to root for NYC teams.

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Abandoning a brand with 60+ years of history that's associated with league and Conference championships and some of the most dynamic players of all time as part of a plan to move to a city where no one cares about them is Peak Dean Spanos.

My dad has very tenuous connections to San Diego, which is why he's a Chargers fan. I'm just a fan because he is though. I've been a fan of Chargers football my entire life, and I'll likely stay a fan of Chargers football so long as they remain the Chargers. Regardless of where they play. If they drop the Chargers name and history though? I'm out.

Meanwhile, an idiot running for mayor of Omaha is proposing they build an NFL stadium because "(t)he NFL is looking at several expansion cities over the coming years".  Because of course they are, and furthermore Omaha is super way high up on that list of expansion cities.

17 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Meanwhile, an idiot running for mayor of Omaha is proposing they build an NFL stadium because "(t)he NFL is looking at several expansion cities over the coming years".  Because of course they are, and furthermore Omaha is super way high up on that list of expansion cities.

Can't wait for that Omaha/Des Moines rivalry on Thursday Night Football!

Archived