NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

7 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

The neighborhood limits the number of events that the Rose Bowl can hold. 

They apparently didn't even bother to return the NFL's calls when the league was exploring temporary stadium options. Which I find very amusing.

Also this...

OvCrpj3.png

Blow it out your :censored: Dean. Look, I want this to work out because I'm apparently a sadist, but you JUST MOVED THERE. This would be like if, upon moving to Tampa, I threw out all my Blue Jays stuff and claimed to live and die by "Rays baseball." It's transparent, patronising, and it just makes your entire organisation look like dolts. Which, as a long time fan, I can say is accurate. Still, you don't want to advertise that fact.

Also Philip Rivers deserves better than to be associated with that drivel. He didn't do anything wrong.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

They apparently didn't even bother to return the NFL's calls when the league was exploring temporary stadium options. Which I find very amusing.

Also this...

OvCrpj3.png

Blow it out your :censored: Dean. Look, I want this to work out because I'm apparently a sadist, but you JUST MOVED THERE. This would be like if, upon moving to Tampa, I threw out all my Blue Jays stuff and claimed to live and die by "Rays baseball." It's transparent, patronising, and it just makes your entire organisation look like dolts. Which, as a long time fan, I can say is accurate. Still, you don't want to advertise that fact.

Also Philip Rivers deserves better than to be associated with that drivel. He didn't do anything wrong.

Los Angeles Dolts. I like it.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

30 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Also this...

OvCrpj3.png

IIRC they have a limited number of events they can hold, and they decided to roll the dice with a music festival a few years ago instead of being the NFL's bitch hoping for a team.

2 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

They're going to sell out every game. Let's not be silly here. The stadium only seats 27,000. That stadium will get filled up by opposing fans, at a minimum. 

We'll see. But I'd bet a week's salary they will not sell out every game. There will be empty seats mark my words. No one in LA gives a crap about the Chargers and never will.

I know I already said it, but it's just comical that the same owner who wouldn't "fight for San Diego" when his team played there and wouldn't "fight for LA" when it was vacant for 20 years is now using the latter as his slogan. And they're serious about it. Dean's lack of self-awareness is stunning.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

3 hours ago, Cosmic said:

The neighborhood limits the number of events that the Rose Bowl can hold. 

Pasadena's Arroyo Seco Ordinance has had exceptions, like for the Galaxy.

Anything over the current 15 event limit requires a city council vote and the council members can approve as many events as they want.

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

That and the Rose Bowl didn't want them.

When the Rose Bowl Operating Company received the NFL's RFP in 2015, they also had an offer from AEG to host a 3-day music festival annually for the next ten years with two, five year options.  As part of the AEG offer was that there wouldn't be NFL games. They took the AEG deal and long term revenue, rather than bidding to host a NFL team. The annual difference in revenue between the two for the Rose Bowl was about $2M per year in favor of the NFL, but the NFL was only for three years.

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/arts-and-entertainment/20160405/pasadena-approves-rose-bowl-music-festival-with-a-unique-vision

39 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

We'll see. But I'd bet a week's salary they will not sell out every game. There will be empty seats mark my words. No one in LA gives a crap about the Chargers and never will.

There won't be any empty seats. That stadium is too small. If they played at the Coliseum? There would be empty seats, by the boat loads too.

It isn't about caring the Chargers either. Fans of other teams will love to go watch their team, especially in a stadium that small. And I'd imagine there's at least 20,000+ Charger fans in the LA/OC area or even from San Diego willing to drive up to go see a game. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

"We wear LA on our chest.  We fight for it with our heart."  Wow - they're godsdamned heroes, defending the city from evil invaders.  What - if the Raiders win the war, are they going to enslave LA's men, murder their elderly, rape their women, and re-educate their children?  Thank gods LA has someone willing to fight for them (on a football field.  For millions of their dollars.  Eight times per year.  If invaders show up on Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday, or most Mondays or Thursdays, you're on your own, LA - we will not fight for you.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

"We wear LA on our chest.  We fight for it with our heart."  Wow - they're godsdamned heroes, defending the city from evil invaders.  What - if the Raiders win the war, are they going to enslave LA's men, murder their elderly, rape their women, and re-educate their children?  Thank gods LA has someone willing to fight for them (on a football field.  For millions of their dollars.  Eight times per year.  If invaders show up on Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday, or most Mondays or Thursdays, you're on your own, LA - we will not fight for you.)

Not only that, but these heroes are going to be living in their parents' basement.....

19 minutes ago, Nyk33 said:

LA Galaxy to remain StubHub Center's priority, not NFL's Chargers

I never thought I would live to see an MLS team take priority over an NFL team when sharing a stadium together. 

Chargers may only play one preseason game at StubHub.

As for the regular season, look at the Galaxy schedule:

http://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2017/01/12/la-galaxy-announce-2017-mls-regular-season-schedule

After Labor Day, here are the Galaxy weekends:

Sunday Sept 10 @ Seattle

Sat. Sept 16 vs. Toronto FC

Sun. Sept 24 @ Kansas City

Sat. Sept 30 vs. Real Salt Lake

Sun. Oct 15 vs. Minnesota FC

Then any playoff will TBD.

13 minutes ago, Nyk33 said:

LA Galaxy to remain StubHub Center's priority, not NFL's Chargers

I never thought I would live to see an MLS team take priority over an NFL team when sharing a stadium together. 

Well, it is their stadium. AND, MLS just released their schedule today. There's no way that the Galaxy or MLS would rework that schedule when I'm sure it's already been worked into many items for the public (posters, schedule cards, graphics, etc) as well as maybe for the team managers working on notifying partners on which dates they need hotels reserved, transportation, etc, in advance.

What will be interesting is if the Galaxy make the playoffs. Will there be Sunday afternoon games and will the Chargers get booted to Monday night because of it, etc?

28 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

Well, it is their stadium.

I know, I know. 

But did you ever expect in your lifetime for an NFL team to be a tenant in an MLS team's stadium?

Usually it's the MLS team being the tenant in the NFL team's stadium which is to be expected since the NFL is the most popular pro sports league in America right now. 

What will be interesting is if the Galaxy make the playoffs. Will there be Sunday afternoon games and will the Chargers get booted to Monday night because of it, etc?

I'm kind of hoping the LA Galaxy make the playoffs just to see if this would happen which they probably will since they're usually a playoff team. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

16 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Chargers may only play one preseason game at StubHub.

As for the regular season, look at the Galaxy schedule:

http://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2017/01/12/la-galaxy-announce-2017-mls-regular-season-schedule

After Labor Day, here are the Galaxy weekends:

Sunday Sept 10 @ Seattle

Sat. Sept 16 vs. Toronto FC

Sun. Sept 24 @ Kansas City

Sat. Sept 30 vs. Real Salt Lake

Sun. Oct 15 vs. Minnesota FC

Then any playoff will TBD.

So, in all probability, the Chargers will have home games on Sept. 17, Oct. 1st, and Oct. 8th.  Or an early-season Thursday night game if they're home for one.

18 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

So, in all probability, the Chargers will have home games on Sept. 17, Oct. 1st, and Oct. 8th.  Or an early-season Thursday night game if they're home for one.

While the four London games have been determined, Mexico City hasn't. Patriots@Raiders seems to be the NFL Mexico City choice.

However, the NFL is also looking at Monterrey and their new 55K stadium which opened in 2015 as a potential site.

maxresdefault_zpsdhkitvjs.jpg

Chargers non-divisional home opponents are: CLE, BUF, WAS, MIA & PHL

Archived