NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

1 hour ago, Sykotyk said:

I'm curious what the fan support San Diego State will get next season. Will they see an appreciable increase as fans switch to another football team in absence of the Chargers.

Fan support for SDSU with tickets next year means very little. Its long term donations to their endowment which matter and they just completed a capital campaign for $750M.

SDSU cannot buy the land at even close to face value or start a campaign for it.  They want the city to give them the land basically for free.

16 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

We'll see. But I'd bet a week's salary they will not sell out every game. There will be empty seats mark my words. No one in LA gives a crap about the Chargers and never will.

You're just being emotional. There are Chargers fans here in LA, there's just not THAT many. I know a woman who lives in San Pedro who has been a Chargers season ticket holder for 20 years, driving down 10 times a year. There's also plenty in Orange County.

They'll sell out, even if it's 2/3 opposing fans or non-football fans who just want to go to an event. Their attendance at the 80,000 seat Inglewood Stadium is what I'm skeptical of. 

• Like 1

I think one of your goals as a sports franchise would be to become one of those "dynasty" (or "glamour") teams that are iconic in the sport.  Like the Lakers, Celtics, Patriots (not glamourous, but dynastic), Steelers, Cowboys, Yankees, etc.  

I can't imagine a team that pays rent to another team ever becoming that type of franchise.  There's certainly no technical reason they couldn't, but maybe it's just a sign that if the owner is willing to accept that kind of agreement, he's just not the type of guy that's going to pull out all the stops to make the team a perennial winner and FA destination.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Chargers may only play one preseason game at StubHub.

As for the regular season, look at the Galaxy schedule:

http://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2017/01/12/la-galaxy-announce-2017-mls-regular-season-schedule

After Labor Day, here are the Galaxy weekends:

Sunday Sept 10 @ Seattle

Sat. Sept 16 vs. Toronto FC

Sun. Sept 24 @ Kansas City

Sat. Sept 30 vs. Real Salt Lake

Sun. Oct 15 vs. Minnesota FC

Then any playoff will TBD.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Then any playoff will TBD.

Speaking of which MLS playoffs go all the way up to the first or second of week of December so if the Galaxy make it to the MLS Cup final the Chargers could be in this situation until week 13 or 14. 

• Like 1

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

1 hour ago, nickp91 said:

the craziest thing about this is an NFL team is going to play in an MLS stadium. That was unthinkable 15 years ago.

LA Times alluded to that being a sign the NFL might be in trouble. I mean think about how no one wants the Chargers where they've ended up. The NFL has never had a situation like this where they were not wanted where they arrived. Coupled with the medical issues and the flagging viewership, the shield is in trouble.

16 hours ago, Nyk33 said:

I know, I know. 

But did you ever expect in your lifetime for an NFL team to be a tenant in an MLS team's stadium?

Usually it's the MLS team being the tenant in the NFL team's stadium which is to be expected since the NFL is the most popular pro sports league in America right now. 

I'm kind of hoping the LA Galaxy make the playoffs just to see if this would happen which they probably will since they're usually a playoff team. 

I did actually. But I figured it would be another 40 years or so before it happened. The NFL's decline is happening quicker than I thought.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I think one of your goals as a sports franchise would be to become one of those "dynasty" (or "glamour") teams that are iconic in the sport.  Like the Lakers, Celtics, Patriots (not glamourous, but dynastic), Steelers, Cowboys, Yankees, etc.  

I can't imagine a team that pays rent to another team ever becoming that type of franchise.  There's certainly no technical reason they couldn't, but maybe it's just a sign that if the owner is willing to accept that kind of agreement, he's just not the type of guy that's going to pull out all the stops to make the team a perennial winner and FA destination.

It has only happened once in American sports: the Cardinals rented Busch I from the then-St. Louis Browns until the Browns moved to Baltimore.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Have we heard anything about how people in the NFL feel about this Oilers-at-the-Liberty-Bowl-level indignity? Are they still cool with whatever because Dean's A Good Guy?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm curious to know the answer to this. If anyone here is from San Diego, or St. Louis for that matter? Will your fandom follow your team. I'm sure it's different for some Chargers fan in Portland, Maine. What's it matter to him where they play. But for that true San Diegoan, what's the verdict?

Also- 3,000th post!

sig.png