duma

NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

Recommended Posts

I just figured out how to fix and transport the San Diego Super Chargers song

 

San Di-eh-uhh, L-A Chargers

San Di-eh-uhh, L-A CHARGERS!

San Di-eh-uhh, L-A Chargers

San Di-eh-uhh, L-A CHARGERS, CHARGE!

 

Go. Home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Chargers are the hormonal teenager that ran away from home because his/her parents wouldn't buy them a new car and decided to move in with the drunk uncle who can't stand him/her and is having enough issues dealing with his own hormonal teenager.

 

YOU WANT ME TO GET A JOB AND BUY MY OWN CAR? YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nyk33 said:

 

Can the Chargers just change their name to the Los Angeles Schadenfreude? 

 

I really can't blame Lynn for the gaffe, I mean I still catch myself saying "San Diego" too. It's going to take some getting used to.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would contraction be a good idea?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Would contraction be a good idea?

Nah. But, other than Jacksonville, I now see a good candidate for London.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/15/only-one-city-could-keep-the-raiders-from-going-to-las-vegas/

 

If, and IF, San Diego somehow decided to come up with the money to lure the Raiders to San Diego.... one thing I think the NFL should strongly look into is another 'team swap'.

 

Switch the Chargers name to the Raiders with Spanos as owner in LA, and let Davis have the Chargers name in San Diego.

 

If the Raiders go to San Diego instead of LA (or LV, even), and the Chargers are in LA, then the NFL would have truly jumped the shark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/15/only-one-city-could-keep-the-raiders-from-going-to-las-vegas/

 

If, and IF, San Diego somehow decided to come up with the money to lure the Raiders to San Diego.... one thing I think the NFL should strongly look into is another 'team swap'.

 

Switch the Chargers name to the Raiders with Spanos as owner in LA, and let Davis have the Chargers name in San Diego.

 

If the Raiders go to San Diego instead of LA (or LV, even), and the Chargers are in LA, then the NFL would have truly jumped the shark.

Any chance the Rams may try to get in the way of that?  A "Raiders" team probably threatens to take a lot more fans than a "Chargers" team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this an absolute done deal? Like San Diego couldn't come in tomorrow and say "Hey, here's your stadium money?"

 

Not that it would ever happen, I'm just curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Lynn's nickname should be Shockmaster.

Ooh, has the Chargers/Shockmaster convergence been explored in gif form yet? It's too perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Is this an absolute done deal? Like San Diego couldn't come in tomorrow and say "Hey, here's your stadium money?"

 

Not that it would ever happen, I'm just curious.

Taking the political fallout of such a move aside, monies cannot be from a new or an increase in a tax as that would violate the state constitution. Follow this flow chart, specific for California:

 

6224_zpsnjhkpxgc.png

 

For additional information:

http://www.lao.ca.gov/reports/2014/finance/local-taxes/voter-approval-032014.aspx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Taking the political fallout of such a move aside, monies cannot be from a new or an increase in a tax as that would violate the state constitution. Follow this flow chart, specific for California:

 

6224_zpsnjhkpxgc.png

 

For additional information:

http://www.lao.ca.gov/reports/2014/finance/local-taxes/voter-approval-032014.aspx

 

Amazing any taxes get passed in California. Everything requires 2/3rd unless it's a general tax or for schools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nyk33 said:

 

Can the Chargers just change their name to the Los Angeles Schadenfreude? 

 

 

THAT IS FREAKING HYSTERICAL!!!!

 

I hope the hits just keep on coming. They've made this whole thing so much easier to bear. We're finally rid of this disaster of an organization.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

 

Amazing any taxes get passed in California. Everything requires 2/3rd unless it's a general tax or for schools.

 

Yeah, that plus the citizen initiative have done a great deal of damage to California.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

LOLA Chargers. All of a sudden they can't do a single thing right.

 

You act like this is something new. They've been bumbling around San Diego like this since the day they fired Marty Schottenheimer. Just they were in a small market and hadn't pissed off pretty much everyone on Earth so no one noticed except us San Diegans. Welcome to the show!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

 

You act like this is something new. They've been bumbling around San Diego like this since the day they fired Marty Schottenheimer. Just they were in a small market and hadn't pissed off pretty much everyone on Earth so no one noticed except us San Diegans. Welcome to the show!

 

Oh it goes WAY further back than Schottenheimer. Minus one season in which they got absolutely killed in the Super Bowl against the Niners they've basically been garbage since the end of the Fouts era. Which, not surprisingly, kind of coincides with the beginning of the Spanos era.

 

And, honestly, they were't particularly amazing even back before then. The Chargers have basically been a joke since the beginning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nyk33 said:

 

Can the Chargers just change their name to the Los Angeles Schadenfreude? 

 

Oh, this makes my life! That's gold! GOLD! HAHAHA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

21 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

 

And regarding rolling it back, at this point I don't think there's anything stopping them from aborting the plan to move. They've yet to opt out of their Qualcomm Stadium lease or their lease on Chargers Park in San DIego. But that would involve them looking critically at just how much of a PR disaster this move has been (the first move in NFL history where the new city wasn't at least ok with getting a team nevermind the typical excited reaction). I've little hope that would happen however because if they'd looked at this critically in the first place they never would have moved to be a 5th rate football team in LA.

 

Nevermind the NFL, I can't think of another franchise relocation in any sport where the new city so vociferously didn't want the team. Apathy towards the Chargers would be an improvement at this point. This is unprecedented. 

 

I've never had any animus towards the Chargers and they even beat my team in a playoff game recently, but now I just want this whole LA thing to fail and fail hard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

 

 

Nevermind the NFL, I can't think of another franchise relocation in any sport where the new city so vociferously didn't want the team. Apathy towards the Chargers would be an improvement at this point. This is unprecedented. 

 

I've never had any animus towards the Chargers and they even beat my team in a playoff game recently, but now I just want this whole LA thing to fail and fail hard. 

Probably every single other relocation is because the city wants the new team. The Chargers are relocating because everyone in the NFL over the past 20 years got used to the idea of LA being an inexhaustible goldmine waiting to be tapped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.