NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

*Lots of LA area Charger fans jumped to the Rams when that move happened 

*People have jobs and aren't flocking to a silly pep rally

*With all CA teams eliminated from the playoffs LA has already tuned out from football other than transplants/bandwagoners 

*We've been there, done that with getting excited over a football team moving in

*While bigger than this one you can't throw out the Forum capacity number without also being critical of the Rams rally not filling up the seats

Do we really want the Chargers here? Meh. Can you really use a pep rally as a gauge? Not really.

If a significant number of Chargers fans in LA really did jump ship to the Rams, that's Dean's own fault for deciding that it was more important to waste a year on a sham public vote in San Diego and cover his ass than just move at the same time as the Rams last year. In his typical bumbling stupidity, Deano gave the Rams a year-long head start on building a fanbase in a city where they already had more support to begin with. At the same time, he torched every last bridge he had in San Diego and guaranteed (if it wasn't set in stone already) that he'd lose almost all of the Chargers' pre-existing fanbase. Handing out free jerseys, doing lame pep rallies and moving into a tiny soccer stadium in Carson won't make up for any of that. And by the time both teams move into the new stadium in Inglewood, the Chargers will be so far behind that they'll never catch up to the Rams.

7 hours ago, LMU said:

I'm failing to see why it's a bad thing to start trying to break into a new market with competition by giving away jerseys.

Because the jerseys were part of their payment for showing up. There were a large number of extras in the crowd who were paid to be there. The Chargers have few fans of their own in LA so they had to buy some, literally.

3 minutes ago, LMU said:

Again, you potentially make fans by giving them jerseys.

Still failing to see the mockery here.

It's embarrassing that they're attempting to cultivate artificial enthusiasm as if there's an existing fan base in town that couldn't wait to see the Chargers finally in LA.  

12 minutes ago, CS85 said:

It's embarrassing that they're attempting to cultivate artificial enthusiasm as if there's an existing fan base in town that couldn't wait to see the Chargers finally in LA.  

nobody ever made that claim.  He said that 25% of the fanbase is there.  That means the overwhelming majority of LA residents aren't currently fans.

I think you (and many others) are grossly exaggerating things that he said (or, more accurately, didn't say.)

Doesn't change that he's an idiot though.

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

If a significant number of Chargers fans in LA really did jump ship to the Rams, that's Dean's own fault for deciding that it was more important to waste a year on a sham public vote in San Diego and cover his ass than just move at the same time as the Rams last year. In his typical bumbling stupidity, Deano gave the Rams a year-long head start on building a fanbase in a city where they already had more support to begin with. At the same time, he torched every last bridge he had in San Diego and guaranteed (if it wasn't set in stone already) that he'd lose almost all of the Chargers' pre-existing fanbase. Handing out free jerseys, doing lame pep rallies and moving into a tiny soccer stadium in Carson won't make up for any of that. And by the time both teams move into the new stadium in Inglewood, the Chargers will be so far behind that they'll never catch up to the Rams.

Now we can blame the Chargers for a lot of things, but I don't think this is really their fault.

If I remember correctly, the NFL relocation vote was "Rams plan" vs. "Chargers/Raiders plan", and the Rams plan was closer to winning (something like 20-12 or 19-13), with 24 being the magic number.  So then, the Chargers knew their plan was cooked, so they leveraged the few swing votes the Rams needed with both the team and the NFL.  The Chargers gained the financials that they would need since they'll be a tenant, plus first opportunity to move to Los Angeles.  The Chargers also negotiated with the NFL about sweetening the pot to get a local stadium built.  (The Rams obviously gained the ability to be in LA on their own in 2016, to build their stadium, etc.)  In other words, I doubt the Rams would have agreed to let the Chargers move to town the same time as them because that hurts the Rams' bottom line.

4 hours ago, LMU said:

I'm failing to see why it's a bad thing to start trying to break into a new market with competition by giving away jerseys.

To bring it back to pro wrestling (because it always comes back to pro wrestling) when a promotion is cold, nothing they do works. The Chargers admittedly botched their initial entry into the market, and now people are jumping on every perceived misstep.

13 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

To bring it back to pro wrestling (because it always comes back to pro wrestling) when a promotion is cold, nothing they do works. The Chargers admittedly botched their initial entry into the market, and now people are jumping on every perceived misstep.

OMG they just traded for Tom Brady and signed Antonio Brown?  How effing desperate are they now that they know they made a mistake by moving!

Yeah, like winning the Super Bowl will matter.  Losers.

3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

We're pouncing on every little thing the Chargers are doing wrong but that's because of the big thing they did wrong, and it's fun! No apologies from them, no apologies from us

"YOUR Los Angeles Chargers!"

TySJ3cP.gif

16 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

But they weren't making fans. They were hiring "fans."

Exactly. The jerseys were only so they could play the part of fans in the stands. They had to give them back after the event according to one report I read. Which would explain why they didn't take the tags off of them. Remember, these were paid extras from Central Casting, not potential fans they were attempting to woo with free swag.

To me, "Thanks for coming out!" is normally a hat or a t-shirt. Giving away (if they really did give them away) jerseys that normally retail for $100 each is a little too nice. To veterans or kids with cancer, a couple at a time? Sure. To any random person (again, allegedly) that shows up, and by the dozens? Seems strange to me.

6 hours ago, LMU said:

*Lots of LA area Charger fans jumped to the Rams when that move happened 

*People have jobs and aren't flocking to a silly pep rally

*With all CA teams eliminated from the playoffs LA has already tuned out from football other than transplants/bandwagoners 

*We've been there, done that with getting excited over a football team moving in

*While bigger than this one you can't throw out the Forum capacity number without also being critical of the Rams rally not filling up the seats

Do we really want the Chargers here? Meh. Can you really use a pep rally as a gauge? Not really.

I dunno, I'm getting a pretty strong sense of geography bias from you here. "Who has time for a rally? People had to work!", "Football season is already over, people have moved on!", and "Who doesn't give away $100 jerseys to their brand new fans?!" are the types of excuses that would maybe be understood if this was Omaha, Nebraska we were talking about. But it seems pretty weak considering it's the second largest city in the entire country. 

1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

To me, "Thanks for coming out!" is normally a hat or a t-shirt. Giving away (if they really did give them away) jerseys that normally retail for $100 each is a little too nice. To veterans or kids with cancer, a couple at a time? Sure. To any random person (again, allegedly) that shows up, and by the dozens? Seems strange to me.

For sure.  "Welcome new fans!" swag is typically a Gildan t-shirt with a Subway logo somewhere on it, probably just a hair smaller than the team logo, plus a water bottle you'll never use and a frisbee that doesn't work.

Though, I could see how the only non-San Diego branded merchandise the Chargers might have could indeed be the jerseys. That or they printed a ton of LA bolt logo shirts that will instead be rerouted to central Africa.

SCENARIO: Dean Spanos gives exclusive interview to ESPN, or so we think, because the phone call ends with Spanos announcing that he moved the Chargers so that he could eat poo out of Howard Stern's ass

Board members: "well well well looks like those ELL AYY Chargers are at it again!"

LMU: "This is totally normal, find me one NFL owner who hasn't been impersonated as having wanted to eat poo"