NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

31 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

I dunno, I'm getting a pretty strong sense of geography bias from you here. "Who has time for a rally? People had to work!", "Football season is already over, people have moved on!", and "Who doesn't give away $100 jerseys to their brand new fans?!" are the types of excuses that would maybe be understood if this was Omaha, Nebraska we were talking about. But it seems pretty weak considering it's the second largest city in the entire country. 

All I'm saying is that you can't judge anything from a hush hush rally with a 300 person, invite only cap.  Are the Spanoses (Spani?) blithering idiots?  Yes.  Are they going for the Donald Sterling financial model?  Yes.  Do I feel bad for San Diego?  Yes.

I'm impartial here.  I'm a Rams fan and the only reason I'm considering giving the Chargers any time of day is that I live right down the street from StubHub Center and parking's a hell of a lot better there than at the Coliseum.  I'm just calling out all the irrational hyperbole being thrown around.  Be as pissed as you want about the circumstances of the move but if you're going to mock something there's better targets than a Twitter avatar and a hastily thrown together, not well advertised, media event.

VmWIn6B.png

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, the admiral said:

SCENARIO: Dean Spanos gives exclusive interview to ESPN, or so we think, because the phone call ends with Spanos announcing that he moved the Chargers so that he could eat poo out of Howard Stern's ass

Board members: "well well well looks like those ELL AYY Chargers are at it again!"

LMU: "This is totally normal, find me one NFL owner who hasn't been impersonated as having wanted to eat poo"

Please.

My whole point is that the Spani are $#!++ing their pants and are forced to give out jerseys to people to get them to love them.

They're under the 8-ball here.  They're desperate but I'm not going to criticize necessarily for going to that extreme to get a few butts in the seats.

VmWIn6B.png

And my point was an exploration of Hegelian dialectic (thesis: every single thing involving this team is awful, antithesis: an angry mob is looking for any reason to take shots, synthesis: this is a largely incompetent operation but we've become uniquely hypersensitive to their incompetence) through football and alleged coprophagy

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Of course, the unfortunate thing about this whole situation is how few jokes are being made at how San Diego City Hall took a break from addressing the coming football apocalypse to deal with a groping pervert in the mayor's office.

VmWIn6B.png

San Diego residents had no responsibility to fund a new Chargers stadium. Especially when Kroenke and the Dolphins showed that local investment isn't necessary.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

For sure.  "Welcome new fans!" swag is typically a Gildan t-shirt with a Subway logo somewhere on it, probably just a hair smaller than the team logo, plus a water bottle you'll never use and a frisbee that doesn't work.

Though, I could see how the only non-San Diego branded merchandise the Chargers might have could indeed be the jerseys. That or they printed a ton of LA bolt logo shirts that will instead be rerouted to central Africa.

Yes, the kind of half-assed t-shirt you'd get fired from a t-shirt cannon.

NFL Shop still has them (mostly) listed as the San Diego Chargers, btw.

Honestly, not sure how much the Chargers should be panicking yet.

The Rams offense, even with the firing of Fisher, isn't likely to get that much better this offseason thanks to them dumping their 1st round pick and middling cap space.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't think Angelenos will hop over to Carson on a whim just because the Rams are unwatchable, though. They'll either stay home and watch the team they actually like, or do literally anything else. The question is whether Los Angeles will have one or two teams nobody can be arsed to watch.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It's not Al Davis, Mark seems to have a good "useful idiot" streak in him, and a freighter full of Sheldon Adelson's money awaits them on the other side of the state line. They'll pack the trucks for him.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

19 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

So does anyone think there's a chance the owners vote it down?

They need nine votes and do you really see that many owners going to vote, "No"?

John Mara?

Dan Snyder?

Clark Hunt? He didn't want both Raiders and Chargers in Carson, so will he accept LA Chargers and LV Raiders?

Susie Adams Smith? Unlikely

Martha Firestone Ford? Unlikely

Art Rooney III? He was the one who told the media that the NFL didn't need Adelson and they would just use Goldman Sachs.

Audio from Ray Ratto (CSN Bay Area) yesterday.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

So does anyone think there's a chance the owners vote it down?

I doubt it. The situation in Oakland is untenable for the Raiders and shows no signs of ever improving (unlike San Diego at the last minute or St. Louis, Oakland hasn't come up with even a dime of public funding and won't). And much of the concern about Vegas appears to have abated not for the least of reasons that the Raiders have a way to make it work with or without Adelson. Plus $750 million in public funds is hard to turn down seeing as it would be an NFL record in terms of public funding.

Yeah, I doubt it as well.  

The only potential stumbling blocks I see are a possible aversion to being in business with Adelson, and the general disregard for Davis.  But it seems like a very long shot.  I was just wondering if anybody even saw it as a possibility.

Heheheheheh hahahaha HAHAHAHAHA

This keeps getting better and better.

NFL is reportedly upset with Chargers, wants them to move back to San Diego

According to ESPN.com, pretty much everyone in the NFL hates the idea of the Chargers in L.A. One source told ESPN that many of the league's 32 owners are "upset with the Chargers for moving."

It's not just the owners, either. The league office is "beside itself" over the Chargers' move.

In what might be the most surprising part of the report, the NFL actually wants the Chargers to move back to San Diego, although the league doesn't actually think that's a realistic possibility. 

Chargers owner Dean Spanos is probably going to be horrified when he hears this news, because he used to be one of the league's most beloved owners (among the other owners). Instead, he's now viewed as a villain in San Diego, no one seems to care for him in Los Angeles, and it seems that he's lost the backing of his fellow owners. That's a trifecta of ugliness that's going to be difficult to recover from.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

12 minutes ago, Wings said:

God I wish they could force Dean to sell and put the Chargers back where the belong: SAN DIEGO!!!

Well in the meantime San Diego's AHL team is taking advantage. Free tickets to the Gulls Feb 18th game for any former Chargers season ticket holder.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/san-diego-gulls-hope-to-give-chargers-fans-local-sports-fix-215955221.html

http://www.sandiegogulls.com/fan-zone/join-the-nest/

1 minute ago, Lights Out said:

If the NFL really feels that strongly about what Dean did, then they should put an expansion team in San Diego. Put a reasonable owner in charge and watch how quickly a stadium gets built in Mission Valley.

Problem is they're not expanding in the US any time soon. The next expansion teams will be overseas more than likely. Mexico City and London will get teams before San Diego does. Especially when they still aren't sure about Jacksonville (who is likely next on the block once the Raiders are settled in Vegas). And the Chargers in LA can't be seen as a guarantee long term right now. I mean they're a tenant that no one seems to have any interest in so far. We'll see how it goes, but if they end up being a long term embarrassment the NFL won't let them sit in LA indefinitely like the NBA did the Clippers.

Archived