NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

21 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Does he have any "territorial rights" to the SD area, like for marketing purposes or to prevent another team from moving there?

Anything like that would need the NFL to amend their constitution to permit it. Such rights are currently only 75 miles in any direction from the city limits.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Does he have any "territorial rights" to the SD area, like for marketing purposes or to prevent another team from moving there?

There's no indication on any of the coverage I read that he retained any connection  to San Diego beyond a sentimental one.  

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

The relocation fee is spread over ten years, however the agreement with the Rams is not public regarding its length.

The Chargers were given the right to buy a partnership stake in the stadium; it's not a lease, its permanent.  

I think we can be pretty sure that the Rams would happily buy him out of his share, since Kroenke only let him in as a condition of being allowed to move in the first place.  Spanos is neither wanted nor needed in Inglewood. 

As for the league, that's a good point.  And it may by why they won't let him move another time for a decade.   But again, if he could make the case for a return to San Diego, I suspect the league would find a way to allow it. 

but hasn't one of the major criticisms of the move that he was signing up to be someone else's tenant?  If he has an ownership stake in the stadium, I'm assuming it's far less than 50/50.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

but hasn't one of the major criticisms of the move that he was signing up to be someone else's tenant?  If he has an ownership stake in the stadium, I'm assuming it's far less than 50/50.

It's far less than 50%. It likely >20% if the LA Times story is remotely close. 62.5% of all revenues (PSLs, Suite deposits, naming rights) go towards construction costs.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-rams-chargers-revenue-20170211-story.html

35 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

We don't know the exact numbers but speculation is that it's far, far less than that.

21 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

FYI, the San Diego FOX affiliate will air Rams preseason games.
http://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/san-diego-fox-affiliate-forego-chargers-air-la-rams-preseason-games.html

From the story:

There’s no word if one of the local stations will elect to carry the Chargers’ preseason games. CBS affiliate KFMB used to carry the Chargers games, but that ended with the 2016 season.

Yesterday, the Chargers linked-up local media deals with iHeartMedia (which already owned the team's radio rights in San Diego), KABC-TV, and a couple of local Spanish broadcasters.

I think now with the Chargers being here, the Raiders' preseason telecasts will no longer be seen on L.A. TV.  KABC had a couple of Rams-oriented shows that aired on Saturday nights after college football, but now the Chargers will be the subject matter.

1 hour ago, MadmanLA said:

Yesterday, the Chargers linked-up local media deals with iHeartMedia (which already owned the team's radio rights in San Diego), KABC-TV, and a couple of local Spanish broadcasters.

I think now with the Chargers being here, the Raiders' preseason telecasts will no longer be seen on L.A. TV.  KABC had a couple of Rams-oriented shows that aired on Saturday nights after college football, but now the Chargers will be the subject matter.

Does this mean people have warmed up to the Chargers or do they still have a ways to go?

On 4/23/2017 at 1:21 PM, DG_Now said:

Today is the first Galaxy game I've seen on TV since the Chargers announcement. It's a beautiful soccer stadium but a tiny NFL one.

I just did a search for a Chargers/StubHub mockup and found this:

CHARGERS.STUB_.HUB_.jpg

Looks like that sweet interlocking LA logo was indeed planned for more than just a Twitter account. It's a such a shame they didn't have the courage to keep it.

Great find. Yeah it seemed pretty obvious the Dolts were actually switching to that terrible logo. Until everyone and the brother in law roasted them alive for it. It was a bad logo which is par for the course with Spanos, and it was spineless to roll it back, which is also par for the course with Spanos. I have to admit that's the only part of the Chargers abandoning San Diego after 56 years that is good... they also took Spanos. Suckers...

On 4/24/2017 at 2:32 PM, Gothamite said:

I think Spanos has so scorched the earth in San Diego that the Rams are smart to move in. They'll be "the nearest team that hasn't :censored: ed you over".

The Lakers did the same thing after the Clippers moved north. They're the defacto NBA team of San Diego, in so far as there is a defacto NBA team in San Diego.

As for the Chargers on TV in SD, my understanding is the local CBS affiliate KFMB in SD will start the year airing Chargers games. But if the ratings aren't there, they have the right to drop the Chargers and go with a national CBS telecast of a team people in San Diego actually have some desire to watch (unlike the Dolts). I imagine they'll exercise that right by like week 4.

4 hours ago, MadmanLA said:

I think it just means the Chargers are a local team and are doing their best to get local partners. Don't think it has any bearing on if anyone will actually watch them.

2 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

The Lakers did the same thing after the Clippers moved north. They're the defacto NBA team of San Diego, in so far as there is a defacto NBA team in San Diego.

As for the Chargers on TV in SD, my understanding is the local CBS affiliate in SD will start the year airing Chargers games. But if the ratings aren't there, they have the right to drop the Chargers and go with a national CBS telecast of a team people in San Diego actually have some desire to watch (unlike the Dolts). I imagine they'll exercise that right by like week 4.

But isn't showing Chargers games on KFMB, KSWB and potentially KNSD after the team left kinda like putting salt on the wounds of the team's departure?

1 minute ago, neo_prankster said:

But isn't showing Chargers games on KFMB, KSWB and potentially KNSD after the team left kinda like putting salt on the wounds of the team's departure?

Yep. Which is why I don't think it'll last too long. Technically KFMB will show any national broadcast CBS sends them, but if the ratings aren't there, and they won't be, they'll switch in later weeks to another team.

3 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Does this mean people have warmed up to the Chargers or do they still have a ways to go?

Oh, they have a ways to go, but basically I'm referencing the fact that several years ago, the Chargers and Raiders complained to the NFL about the Rams still airing their preseason games in L.A. (there was also a year where the Redskins also aired their preseason games here), and the following year, it was the Chargers and Raiders only.

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Great find. Yeah it seemed pretty obvious the Dolts were actually switching to that terrible logo. Until everyone and the brother in law roasted them alive for it. It was a bad logo which is par for the course with Spanos, and it was spineless to roll it back, which is also par for the course with Spanos. I have to admit that's the only part of the Chargers abandoning San Diego after 56 years that is good... they also took Spanos. Suckers...

It wasn't a terrible logo.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It wasn't a terrible logo.  

Yep. It was very well executed and sharp. And would have made a great logo under the collar in place of the team wordmark.

I maintain the flack for it wouldn't have been nearly as bad if they had rolled out the gold LA on the powder blue background first. It was using the white on navy that drew the Dodgers comparisons.

18 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Yep. It was very well executed and sharp. And would have made a great logo under the collar in place of the team wordmark.

I maintain the flack for it wouldn't have been nearly as bad if they had rolled out the gold LA on the powder blue background first. It was using the white on navy that drew the Dodgers comparisons.

And the Rams comparisons, and the Tampa Bay Lightning comparisons, etc... etc...

Still given the lunacy of the Chargers moving to LA where they're not wanted I don't think even the Gold on powder would have saved that logo.

Archived