duma

NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

Recommended Posts

Chargers are officially cursed as original owner and founder Barron Hilton passed away yesterday at the age of 91 as all these issues with the Rams come to light. Spooky. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Serves Spanos right. I think this should be the music that plays whenever the Chargers run out onto the field. They told a loyal city to go fornicate with itself, play in a soccer stadium and now have to face the prospect of never getting higher than 2nd in the AFC West for the next 10-15 years. Oh, and they suck right now too. LMFAO

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dfwabel said:

That's cool, but the SoFi money is really in peril since SoFi is a financial mess.

 

Enron Field says that’s a non-issue.  If SoFi can’t pay, others will line up for the privilege of doing so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ninersdd said:

 

 

The Spanos family short on cash and welching on promises... I’m shocked... SHOCKED! Seriously though, who didn’t see this coming when they cut their revenue expectations by more than half last year. No one in LA wants them there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, masterchaoss said:

So what happens with this if Spanos dosen't pony up? Is he gonna be stripped of the team or are they going to be forced to play at the soccer stadium forever? I can't imagine the NFL is gonna let them leave LA at this point given they want to keep two teams here and I don't think there is a place they can go that has a NFL quality stadium that isn't already occupied. 

 

 

San Antonio? I mean they won’t keep them in LA if it’s more a detriment to Kroenke than a benefit to have them there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

St. Louis Chargers.......Nah

San Antonio Chargers.......Nah

Oakland Chargers........Nah

San Diego Chargers.......Winner!

 

Only if there was a billionaire who could pry the team away from The Dean of Clowns and work a deal with SDSU on that new stadium. 

 

dean-clown-car.jpg.eb4ef64063a847ba15da5188e4c3720c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Wings said:

St. Louis Chargers.......Nah

San Antonio Chargers.......Nah

Oakland Chargers........Nah

San Diego Chargers.......Winner!

 

Only if there was a billionaire who could pry the team away from The Dean of Clowns and work a deal with SDSU on that new stadium. 

 

dean-clown-car.jpg.eb4ef64063a847ba15da5188e4c3720c.jpg

 

Joseph Tsai?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

 

Joseph Tsai?

 

Wouldn't him being the majority owner of the Brooklyn Nets prevent that?  If I remember correctly, Kroenke had to transfer control of the Nuggets and Avalanche to his son.  I know that Paul Allen owned the Seahawks and Trailblazers, but Portland wasn't an NFL market so he was allowed to do that.  It might be the fact that the team is called the Brooklyn Nets won't prevent Tsai from buying an NFL team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Send Spanos to London since the league wants a team there so bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Here's the story about the LA Stadium disagreement. 

 

Figured the YT link would be better as it is half the length of the podcast I linked and has the main story we're looking for.

Edited by Red Comet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow.  

 

I don’t know if he’s right about the current tension, but his history is way off. 

 

There was never any “Grand Plan” by the NFL to move the Rams to LA.  Stan Kroenke wasn’t specifically chosen by Goodell to capitalize on the LA market because of his wealth and experience with construction.  That’s all demonstrably false.

 

We know for a fact that Goodell was intervening on the side of St. Louis, working with them behind the scenes in their negotiations with the Rams. We also know that he intervened publicly on at least one occasion, using his authority to block the Rams from even applying for relocation so that St. Louis would have an additional year to work on their plan.

 

The owners didn’t particularly want the Rams to be in LA. They were quite happy keeping the city open as standing leverage for every other team in stadium negotiations.  And if anyone was going to move, to reap the benefits of the sprawling golden Southland, it should be the well-liked Spanos family, long-time members of the club. Not some gauche nouveau riche collector of franchises.

 

Goodell tried with everything he had to stop the Rams from moving. Kroenke forced it though anyway on the strength of his case, and was then saddled with a tenant/partner to help blunt the benefits he reaped from the new market. Because if there’s anything more valuable than owning a football team in Los Angeles, it’s owning the football team in Los Angeles.

 

But Grand Plan?  Absurd on its face. If the NFL ever had a Grand Plan, this thread wouldn’t be four hundred and fifty pages of false starts, missteps and abandoned ideas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Wow.  

 

I don’t know if he’s right about the current tension, but his history is way off. 

 

There was never any “Grand Plan” by the NFL to move the Rams to LA.  Stan Kroenke wasn’t specifically chosen by Goodell to capitalize on the LA market because of his wealth and experience with construction.  That’s all demonstrably false.

 

We know for a fact that Goodell was intervening on the side of St. Louis, working with them behind the scenes in their negotiations with the Rams. We also know that he intervened publicly on at least one occasion, using his authority to block the Rams from even applying for relocation so that St. Louis would have an additional year to work on their plan.

 

The owners didn’t particularly want the Rams to be in LA. They were quite happy keeping the city open as standing leverage for every other team in stadium negotiations.  And if anyone was going to move, to reap the benefits of the sprawling golden Southland, it should be the well-liked Spanos family, long-time members of the club. Not some gauche nouveau riche collector of franchises.

 

Goodell tried with everything he had to stop the Rams from moving. Kroenke forced it though anyway on the strength of his case, and was then saddled with a tenant/partner to help blunt the benefits he reaped from the new market. Because if there’s anything more valuable than owning a football team in Los Angeles, it’s owning the football team in Los Angeles.

 

But Grand Plan?  Absurd on its face. If the NFL ever had a Grand Plan, this thread wouldn’t be four hundred and fifty pages of false starts, missteps and abandoned ideas. 

 

Hence why I just posted the video. Guy is saying the NFL wants expansion teams in LA or Toronto. The way the divisions are set up now is so damn perfect that any expansion would need to add 4 or 8 teams at once. 

 

On another thought, if the Raiders did move down to LA, would they name the stadium in honor of their fans and call it the Double Homicidome?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only time I have seen in which Goodell specifically spoke about 34 teams was the week of Super Bowl XLVI in 2012 in an interview with Bob Costas and readdressed during his state of the league presser.

Quote

“The question last night, very simply, was would you just expand by just one to Los Angeles,” Goodell said. “I said no, if we ever expanded, you would expand by two, you wouldn’t expand by one team.

“We have not discussed expansion with the membership. I don’t see it on the agenda even for this March meeting. It’s not something we’re focused on as a league.”

Recall this was at the time of Farmers Field and Grand Crossing as the (then) competing L.A. stadium proposals and a year before the Vikings broke ground on US Bank Stadium and six months before the MN Legislature approved state funds.

 

Edited by dfwabel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm actually disappointed that it's SoFi Stadium. Given it's shared by the Rams and the Chargers, wouldn't Dodge Field be a better name?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Wow.  

 

I don’t know if he’s right about the current tension, but his history is way off. 

 

Yeah, well, Fred Roggin is... not good for anything, really.

 

He can be entertaining as a local news sportscaster (his normal job is the NBC4 Sports Desk), but he’s completely irrelevant as a radio show host.

 

As said, at best, what he presented isn’t new information, and by any other measure it’s just incorrect.

 

Truly, though the whole LA/NFL saga, I would’ve never accused Roggin as carrying water for Spanos or the Chargers... until yesterday. That timeline he presents is quite favorable to Dean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

 

Yeah, well, Fred Roggin is... not good for anything, really.

 

He can be entertaining as a local news sportscaster (his normal job is the NBC4 Sports Desk), but he’s completely irrelevant as a radio show host.

 

As said, at best, what he presented isn’t new information, and by any other measure it’s just incorrect.

 

Truly, though the whole LA/NFL saga, I would’ve never accused Roggin as carrying water for Spanos or the Chargers... until yesterday. That timeline he presents is quite favorable to Dean.

 

Also ignores that Dean did jack to try and get a Stadium in San Diego the last 20 years other than a half asses vote the year before he moved that he set up to fail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he suggested that a San Diego sports team play indoors on carpet as part of an expanded convention center. Damn, dude, you're smart!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Hence why I just posted the video. Guy is saying the NFL wants expansion teams in LA or Toronto. The way the divisions are set up now is so damn perfect that any expansion would need to add 4 or 8 teams at once. 

 

Sure would.

 

Fortunately, his track record on what the NFL “wants” is so shaky in that video alone that we can be comfortable saying the league has no interest in expansion. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

Sure would.

 

Fortunately, his track record on what the NFL “wants” is so shaky in that video alone that we can be comfortable saying the league has no interest in expansion. 😁

 

Its why I don't take the idea of European expansion seriously. Only way that would work is if Roger Goodell found owners in 8 European cities willing to field a team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Its why I don't take the idea of European expansion seriously. 

 

The moment that the European Union and Congress repeal time zones, then we can take that expansion seriously.  But so long as London remains seven or eight hours ahead of Los Angeles, the idea is laughable on its face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.