duma

NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

Recommended Posts

Joe Tsai is too busy doing crisis p.r. for the Communist Party to worry about the Chargers, think harder, Homer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to argue any of that, especially the point about not playing a single exhibition or neutral-site game in Los Angeles during the Rams' exile. Even Shreveport has had preseason NFL games in that time.

 

The best way to address this whole situation would have been to nip it in the bud and forbid the Rams from leaving in 1994 (the Raiders, they could have let go). Go to court if you have to, but don't send the message that you don't need Los Angeles in your league. If the NHL could have fought for Phoenix, the NFL could have fought for Los Angeles. Failing that, the Rams should have been back out the door in St. Louis the day Kroenke bought Hollywood Park, at which point the league should have said that's it, one team, the market is too sensitive to cannibalize. Sure, make a deal to keep the Chargers on TV in L.A. if it shuts them up, but actually moving into them into Los Angeles has been terrible for both teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Apparently there have been 'rumors' floating around that the NFL "offered" St. Louis the Chargers. What a joke.

Ridiculous. They screwed over both St. Louis and San Diego and are offering the Chargers to get out of the terrible situation they put themselves in? I hope the Chargers go bankrupt in LA.


I’ll believe the Chargers-to-St. Louis or Chargers-back-to-San Diego rumors when I see more reports on it, but it’s a nice thing to think about. San Diego is much more preferable than St. Louis for the Chargers (if the Spanoseseses aren’t involved, obviously), though neither city is any worse than playing second fiddle to an MLS team, the Rams, and the visiting team.

 

Edited by DustDevil61
Word cleanup, Spanoseseses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

I didn't know that Tsai lives in San Diego. If this young, energetic, and deep-pocketed person is interested in buying the Chargers, the NFL would be foolish not to accommodate him by tweaking its rules, or else by allowing him to skirt them in the way that it allowed Kroenke to do.

 

Plus he would add more diversity to ownership in the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

I didn't know that Tsai lives in San Diego. If this young, energetic, and deep-pocketed person is interested in buying the Chargers, the NFL would be foolish not to accommodate him by tweaking its rules, or else by allowing him to skirt them in the way that it allowed Kroenke to do.

 

Yeah, except that they didn’t allow Kroenke to skirt them.  Goodell secretly worked behind-the-scenes to prevent an owner from exercising his contractual rights, and publicly stopped him from doing so on at least one occasion.  If any rules were skirted, it was in St. Louis’s favor. 

 

That notwithstanding, the NFL absolutely should make any allowances that put the Chargers back in San Diego with fresh and untainted ownership.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because nothing makes more sense than an Indian casino in San Bernardino sponsoring a team playing on the other side of I-15 from the Vegas Strip!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Las Vegas deal is starting to feel like an extremely elaborate end-run around being the L.A. Raiders again, where they will heavily mine Southern California for business partnerships, bus everyone in from there for gamedays, and otherwise just so happen to play the games in Nevada. The upshot in all this is that the Chargers are very dumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LMU said:

Because nothing makes more sense than an Indian casino in San Bernardino sponsoring a team playing on the other side of I-15 from the Vegas Strip!

 

 

 

When you consider San Bernardino is somewhat along the route SoCal Raiders fans (of which there are tens of thousands) will take to drive to Vegas... it makes more sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

spacer.png

 

If ever a situation that needs to be addressed were summed up by a single image it is this... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This reminds me of those porn memes that I've never seen due to being a saint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

When you consider San Bernardino is somewhat along the route SoCal Raiders fans (of which there are tens of thousands) will take to drive to Vegas... it makes more sense.

 

That was my thought, but to @LMU's point, if you're looking for a casino partner as a franchise in Las freaking Vegas, you're really going to go with an Indian casino over 3 hours drive away?

 

But then again, I agree with you and @the admiral that, at least in the early stages, the Raiders will mine their SoCal fanbase for all its worth.

 

EDIT: Hold on, there might actually be some weird precedent here.

 

According to the San Manuel Casino website, yes, San Manuel sponsors with the Dodgers, Kings, Chargers, Galaxy, Ducks, LAFC, Ontario Reign, Rancho Cucamonga Quakes... but also... the Vegas Golden Knights.

 

Weird, but it's there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

spacer.png

 

If ever a situation that needs to be addressed were summed up by a single image it is this... 

 

Brazzers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LMU said:

Because nothing makes more sense than an Indian casino in San Bernardino sponsoring a team playing on the other side of I-15 from the Vegas Strip!

 

 

Remember like three or four years ago when the league fined players for appearing at a fantasy football event at a casino?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

 

That was my thought, but to @LMU's point, if you're looking for a casino partner as a franchise in Las freaking Vegas, you're really going to go with an Indian casino over 3 hours drive away?

 

But then again, I agree with you and @the admiral that, at least in the early stages, the Raiders will mine their SoCal fanbase for all its worth.

 

EDIT: Hold on, there might actually be some weird precedent here.

 

According to the San Manuel Casino website, yes, San Manuel sponsors with the Dodgers, Kings, Chargers, Galaxy, Ducks, LAFC, Ontario Reign, Rancho Cucamonga Quakes... but also... the Vegas Golden Knights.

 

Weird, but it's there.

 

Honestly I’m not sure it’s a short term thing. A sizable portion of greater LA and the IE get on the 15 every weekend and hoof it up to Vegas. The Raiders are just one more reason to do so and one more group of people (Raiders fans) incentivized to do so and will continue to do so indefinitely (or at least as long as Vegas exists). The Raiders will mine that for as long as they can. And the day they can’t is the day Vegas is shut down due to lack of water. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2019 at 1:03 AM, the admiral said:

Hard to argue any of that, especially the point about not playing a single exhibition or neutral-site game in Los Angeles during the Rams' exile. Even Shreveport has had preseason NFL games in that time.

I used to work alongside a man who had wished that the NFL would hold at least one Super Bowl at his favorite college football team's home stadium, which happens to be one of the largest stadia in the college game in terms of seating capacity, even though (a) this particular university and its football stadium are in a small, relatively poor city that is almost 200 miles away and in a separate television market from the closest NFL team and (b) the stadium is an outdoor venue in a climate whose winters have relatively few out-and-out cold days, but are nonetheless quite cooler than winters in at least the majority of the areas where the NFL has had open-air Super Bowls.  If I ever have the chance to have a long conversation with him about football again, a counterpoint that I definitely would want to give to him is that the NFL never dared to grant a Super Bowl to any stadium in the Los Angeles area during the 21 years between the Rams' and Raiders' departure and the Rams' return.

 

Speaking of the NFL and the Los Angeles market, while I think that the Chargers' stint in the L.A. area will end up lasting for only a few years, I personally do not expect the Chargers to relocate again until after the Raiders have played at least one full season in the Las Vegas market.  All along, I have perceived the Bolts' move to the L.A. market to be first and foremost an effort by the Spanos family, with the possible blessings of Roger Goodell and the owners of most of the other teams in the NFL, to prevent the Raiders from coming back to the L.A. area.  Even as far along as the Raiders had come in their negotiations for a stadium in the Las Vegas area, I have no doubt in my mind that had the Chargers made a long-term commitment to the San Diego market, chosen to move to someplace other than the L.A. market, or simply let their L.A. option expire without a firm decision on where they would play, then the Raiders would have dropped everything and exercised their then-newly-earned option to head back to the L.A. market faster than anyone can say "Just win, baby!"  With that said, given that, as far as I can tell, the Los Angeles incarnation of the Raiders struggled to sell tickets to home games and tended to attract fans who were poor at best and had violent tendencies and criminal inclinations at worst, I do not blame either Goodell or the majority of NFL team owners at all for having wanted to make it as tough as possible for the Raiders to return to the L.A. area, nor do I fault Stan Kroenke if he thinks that a Los Angeles Chargers team is a lesser evil than a revival of the L.A. Raiders.

 

As for St. Louis, the wisest thing for the NFL to do is to save that market for an expansion franchise.  Both of the NFL teams that have been based in St. Louis since 1934 were relocations of franchises that each had spent at least four decades playing in a different metropolitan area, and neither team ended up lasting as long in St. Louis as it did in its previous home region.  Maybe, then, a clean slate of history is what an NFL team needs most in order to have a lasting presence in the St. Louis area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Walk-Off said:

I used to work alongside a man who had wished that the NFL would hold at least one Super Bowl at his favorite college football team's home stadium, which happens to be one of the largest stadia in the college game in terms of seating capacity, even though (a) this particular university and its football stadium are in a small, relatively poor city that is almost 200 miles away and in a separate television market from the closest NFL team and (b) the stadium is an outdoor venue in a climate whose winters have relatively few out-and-out cold days, but are nonetheless quite cooler than winters in at least the majority of the areas where the NFL has had open-air Super Bowls.  If I ever have the chance to have a long conversation with him about football again, a counterpoint that I definitely would want to give to him is that the NFL never dared to grant a Super Bowl to any stadium in the Los Angeles area during the 21 years between the Rams' and Raiders' departure and the Rams' return.

 

Speaking of the NFL and the Los Angeles market, while I think that the Chargers' stint in the L.A. area will end up lasting for only a few years, I personally do not expect the Chargers to relocate again until after the Raiders have played at least one full season in the Las Vegas market.  All along, I have perceived the Bolts' move to the L.A. market to be first and foremost an effort by the Spanos family, with the possible blessings of Roger Goodell and the owners of most of the other teams in the NFL, to prevent the Raiders from coming back to the L.A. area.  Even as far along as the Raiders had come in their negotiations for a stadium in the Las Vegas area, I have no doubt in my mind that had the Chargers made a long-term commitment to the San Diego market, chosen to move to someplace other than the L.A. market, or simply let their L.A. option expire without a firm decision on where they would play, then the Raiders would have dropped anything and exercised their then-newly-earned option to head back to the L.A. market faster than anyone can say "Just win, baby!"  With that said, given that, as far as I can tell, the Los Angeles incarnation of the Raiders struggled to sell tickets to home games and tended to attract fans who were poor at best and had violent tendencies and criminal inclinations at worst, I do not blame either Goodell or the majority of NFL team owners at all for having wanted to make it as tough as possible for the Raiders to return to the L.A. area, nor do I fault Stan Kroenke if he thinks that a Los Angeles Chargers team is a lesser evil than a revival of the L.A. Raiders.

 

As for St. Louis, the wisest thing for the NFL to do is to save that market for an expansion franchise.  Both of the NFL teams that have been based in St. Louis since 1934 were relocations of franchises that each had spent at least four decades playing in a different metropolitan area, and neither team ended up lasting as long in St. Louis as it did in its previous home region.  Maybe, then, a clean slate of history is what an NFL team needs most in order to have a lasting presence in the St. Louis area.

What college stadium are you referring to? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ltjets21 said:

What college stadium are you referring to? 

That would be the University of Tennessee at Knoxville's Neyland Stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

 

That was my thought, but to @LMU's point, if you're looking for a casino partner as a franchise in Las freaking Vegas, you're really going to go with an Indian casino over 3 hours drive away?

 

But then again, I agree with you and @the admiral that, at least in the early stages, the Raiders will mine their SoCal fanbase for all its worth.

 

EDIT: Hold on, there might actually be some weird precedent here.

 

According to the San Manuel Casino website, yes, San Manuel sponsors with the Dodgers, Kings, Chargers, Galaxy, Ducks, LAFC, Ontario Reign, Rancho Cucamonga Quakes... but also... the Vegas Golden Knights.

 

Weird, but it's there.

San Manuel: where you can try to win some of it back on the way home before your spouse finds out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.