duma

NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

On 10/25/2019 at 12:51 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I don't follow the reasoning. Moving the Chargers to another city does not really erase the embarrassment of this error; and it certainly does not assauge the ill-will in San Diego. Whereas, moving the team back to San Diego under new ownership turns a big negative into a big positive.

Virgin territory can be handled with expansion, or else with the transfer of some other team that is actually failing in its current home (as opposed to one, like the Chargers, which is doing well in its current home but which has been unable to extort the municipal government into a bad deal).

Have to agree. NFL viewership was nearly halved in the 8th largest city in the US because of the Chargers departure. And many who still watch, hate watch. That’s no small thing.

1 hour ago, McCall said:

So then should the Cardinals be moved back to St. Louis?

Yeah they shouldn't have moved either. 

Was the StL Football Cardinals' move just about the stadium or was it also fan support?  I vividly recall the Cardinals moving, but wasn't in tune with the business aspect of the game yet.  I just know that it wasn't coincidence that the TWA dome sprouted up a few years later.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Was the StL Football Cardinals' move just about the stadium or was it also fan support?  I vividly recall the Cardinals moving, but wasn't in tune with the business aspect of the game yet.  I just know that it wasn't coincidence that the TWA dome sprouted up a few years later.

Anheuser-Busch owned the stadium when the NFL Cadrinals moved.  In fact, the NFL Cardinals never controlled a revenue stream in the STL.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/archives/some-were-saddened-but-neil-lomax-was-thrilled-when-the/article_f97b7c2a-18c7-11e9-8cf0-bf46c3e16602.html

Quarterback Neil Lomax said he had to tell the truth.

''I'm excited about making the change,'' he said. ''I don't want to sound too derogatory about St. Louis, but moving is going to be a positive thing for this football team. I can't help but show my emotions. I'm thrilled to be going to Phoenix. There's no question it will make us a better football team.

''We'll have better facilities out there, better support, better working conditions, grass fields, the works. It will be first class.

''There were times in St. Louis when we've felt like second-class citizens. We won't have to apologize anymore because we don't play baseball. It's going to be a great honeymoon period for the players.''

Phoenix doesn't have a major-league baseball team. The Cardinals seem to like that. They said they'll enjoy being a feature attraction, the top major-league franchise in a growing city.

''We won't have to be 'football Cardinals' out there,'' Ferrell said. ''We'll just be the Cardinals.''

''Fredbird has more endorsements in St. Louis than I do.'' - Quarterback Neil Lomax

''It's nice when people get excited about you because you are a football player - you don't always get that in St. Louis,'' defensive tackle Bob Clasby said. ''In St. Louis, if you tell people you play for the football Cardinals, you're not sure whether they'll react positively or negatively.''

Living in the shadow of the baseball Cardinals ''has been a big problem,'' Sharpe said. ''This is a great baseball town, the best baseball town in the country. The fans are spoiled by the baseball team. The baseball Cardinals have had great success. We could never live up to that. To the people, we were no comparison.''

Sun Devil Stadium, on the campus of Arizona State University in Tempe, holds 74,000 for football. The Cardinals, who averaged around 26,000 in their final season at Busch Stadium, won't see many empty seats from now on.

''We'll get a lot of support, sell out the stadium, and that will help the team,'' Sharpe said. ''It's special for any athlete, to perform in front of a large crowd.''

lol whoops

Wasn't Bidwell promised a new stadium in Phoenix right off the bat but the Savings & Loan crisis at the time ended that. 

16 minutes ago, Wings said:

Wasn't Bidwell promised a new stadium in Phoenix right off the bat but the Savings & Loan crisis at the time ended that. 

Nothing in that article about it. It was a lot more about what they didn’t have in St. Louis than what they were getting in Phoenix. 

19 hours ago, McCall said:

So then should the Cardinals be moved back to St. Louis?

The city of St. Louis could have built the Dome a few years earlier and would have kept the Cardinals, with a likely more city-friendly lease. 

21 hours ago, Wings said:

In a debatable perfect world...the Rams in St. Louis owned by Shad Khan. 

The Rams always belonged in LA. 

22 hours ago, Wings said:

In a debatable perfect world the Raiders are in LA, Chargers in SD and the Rams in St. Louis owned by Shad Khan. 

Say what you will about Rush Limbaugh being a potential NFL owner, the Cape Girardeau native would've kept the Rams in St. Louis.

I don’t know if you can say that.  Limbaugh chooses not to live in Missouri, although he can broadcast from literally anywhere in the country.  

There’s a reason he lives in Florida, and that same reason could also have moved his football team. 

53 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Say what you will about Rush Limbaugh being a potential NFL owner, the Cape Girardeau native would've kept the Rams in St. Louis.

Eh, they're better off in LA. 

7 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Side story: my dad was on the same little league team with Rush (then Rusty).

On 10/26/2019 at 2:00 PM, Wings said:

In a debatable perfect world the Raiders are in LA, Chargers in SD and the Rams in St. Louis owned by Shad Khan. 

No.

18 hours ago, Red Comet said:

On 10/26/2019 at 11:07 AM, Gothamite said:

Reportedly, Kroenke actually carries very little sway among his fellow owners.  By all accounts he isn’t particularly well-liked, nor is he considered one of “them”, unlike Spanos.  He was only able to get his relocation through by the sheer overwhelming merits of his plan, overcoming the objections of the committee that instead wanted to award the LA prize to the insiders Spanos and Davis. And even then Kroenke was punished by the other owners who saddled him with a “partner” he neither needed nor wanted. 

And there’s evidence to support those reports. If Kroenke carried sway, Goodell wouldn’t have been working behind the scenes with St. Louis to prevent the relocation.  If Kroenke carried sway, Goodell wouldn’t have been able to arbitrarily force him to stay in St. Louis well after it was clear the city had no intention of living up to their contract.

@Gothamite, if your assessment of Kroenke is correct, then it seems to me that he is to today's NFL what Jerry Jones was to the league thirty years ago -- a "new money" owner who is decidedly wealthier than most of the more established first-generation owners of NFL teams and/or most of the owners who inherited their respective franchises, and thus has an easy time provoking high levels of jealousy and fear among his fellow NFL team owners and within the league's leadership.  In that case, Kroenke probably needs now -- and Jones probably needed in the past -- to outthink, not just outspend, his way to respect and leverage within the NFL.  The competition for the Los Angeles market was a situation in which Kroenke's stadium plan outthought that of the Davis and Spanos families enough to earn the blessings of nearly every other NFL owner and Goodell ... just as the conflict between Jones and then-NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue in the mid-1990s over sponsorships, as best as I can remember, ended with Jones outthinking Tagliabue, and thus gaining concessions from the NFL on that matter, by revealing actual and/or supposed examples of the league enforcing its sponsorship policies more stringently against the Cowboys than against some other teams.

Kroenke's hairpiece is the real mastermind. Seriously, you have more money than God, why can't you get a transplant?

6 hours ago, Walk-Off said:

@Gothamite, if your assessment of Kroenke is correct, then it seems to me that he is to today's NFL what Jerry Jones was to the league thirty years ago -- a "new money" owner who is decidedly wealthier than most of the more established first-generation owners of NFL teams and/or most of the owners who inherited their respective franchises, and thus has an easy time provoking high levels of jealousy and fear among his fellow NFL team owners and within the league's leadership.

Yeah, in all the longform writing about the Rams move, it was Jerry Jones who had Kroenke's back while all the old-money failsons were loyal to Spanos.

Jerry Jones was the only one who didn’t give a damn about Kroenke not being “one of us”.  He wasn’t looking to reward his friends, only promote the best business idea.  No wonder he backed Kroenke.