NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

On 2/6/2021 at 6:39 PM, DustDevil61 said:

At the risk of going into reel-line-mint territory, one conclusion I’ve come to if a western city like San Diego or Portland were to land the Jaguars:

The Chiefs and Jaguars would swap divisions.

>Give up 60+ year rivalries with the Broncos, Raiders and Chargers for rivalries with the Titans, Colts and Texans.

>For the :censored:ing Jaguars

bdd.jpg 

I get what you're saying but the only way San Diego or Portland gets a team is through expansion/shaking down the taxpayers for a white elephant stadium.

Edited by Red Comet

The Panthers have made two Super Bowls.  It's not so much an issue of the error of expansion so much as the ineptitude of ownership and who they hire.  And that's not just a product of expansion franchises.  See: Snyder, Daniel; Brown, Michael; Spanos, Dean; Ford Hamp, Sheila; Halas McCaskey, Virginia; Johnson, Christopher and Robert Wood; Davis, Mark; etc.

• 2 months later...

The Bears are once again threatening to move to the suburbs, making noise about moving to Arlington Heights once the racetrack shuts down. As terrible and inconvenient as Soldier Field is, Arlington Park would manage to be significantly worse. All that traffic emptying onto a less-than-interstate expressway and a less-than-state arterial. Should be a romp.

On 2/9/2021 at 11:18 AM, SFGiants58 said:

Contraction is better than relocation. Contracting Jacksonville would create reel-line-mint hell, but it’d fix that error of an expansion.

All I’m saying is, if Tagliabue actually does the sane thing and gives Baltimore an expansion team in ‘95, a lot of the loose ends are tied up. Baltimore gets its team, the Browns don’t move, and Jacksonville never gets a team to ruin. Everyone wins!

16 minutes ago, Crabcake said:

All I’m saying is, if Tagliabue actually does the sane thing and gives Baltimore an expansion team in ‘95, a lot of the loose ends are tied up. Baltimore gets its team, the Browns don’t move, and Jacksonville never gets a team to ruin. Everyone wins!

Is it really up to Tagilabue when both Baltimore and St. Louis :censored:ed up their bids so bad the league kind of had to go to Jacksonville?

23 minutes ago, Crabcake said:

Browns don’t move

Browns don't move to Baltimore.  Maybe Memphis or Jacksonville opens their arms and anuses to the NFL and gives Modell whatever he asks for and a mistake still gets made.

Posted (edited)

Happened over a week ago, but Oakland lost it's lawsuit against the NFL over the Raiders moving to Las Vegas.

Still not going to get over the Raiders and Chargers moving. I get it from the stadium front, but it's clear to me that both of these trust fund clowns wanted out of Oakland and San Diego from the start even if those cities gave them everything they wanted and then some. I guess Clark Hunt being even better than his father was at owning a team almost feels like the exception proving the rule that in general competence declines with each generation when it comes to owning sports franchises. 

Edited by Red Comet

10 hours ago, QCS said:

Is it really up to Tagilabue when both Baltimore and St. Louis :censored:ed up their bids so bad the league kind of had to go to Jacksonville?

This.  St. Louis was all set to be expansion team #2 when the ownership group imploded at the 11th hour.

12 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Bears are once again threatening to move to the suburbs, making noise about moving to Arlington Heights once the racetrack shuts down. As terrible and inconvenient as Soldier Field is, Arlington Park would manage to be significantly worse. All that traffic emptying onto a less-than-interstate expressway and a less-than-state arterial. Should be a romp.

and as someone who been in that area before, no, the area is not ready for it.  

4 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Happened over a week ago, but Oakland lost it's lawsuit against the NFL over the Raiders moving to Las Vegas.

Still not going to get over the Raiders and Chargers moving. I get it from the stadium front, but it's clear to me that both of these trust fund clowns wanted out of Oakland and San Diego from the start even if those cities gave them everything they wanted and then some. I guess Clark Hunt being even better than his father was at owning a team almost feels like the exception proving the rule that in general competence declines with each generation when it comes to owning sports franchises. 

and what was the Judge going to say, tell the NFL to move the Raiders back to Oakland (which was never going to happen and even if the Judge said that, the NFL/Raiders were not going to listen to the Judge).  

The people who are in favor of it are pointing out that Arlington Park has its own Metra stop, but the vast majority of people with season tickets to the Bears are from the north, northwest, and western suburbs anyway. The grandstand now holds about 35,000, and the whole point of this exercise is that the Bears feel the 61,000 or so at Soldier Field is much too small, so we're looking at 70,000+ people, mostly arriving by car, emptying out onto Northwest Highway? It makes no sense. This is even dumber than thinking the Cubs should have moved there.

5 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Clark Hunt's ownership of FC Dallas in MLS hasn't been great but it doesn't border on incompetence like other NFL owners who own MLS teams have had, like Stan Kroenke.  He doesn't ignore the team by any means, but is not involved daily.  His brother Dan is more involved.  FC Dallas is relevant enough in the DFW market that they get highlights on local broadcasts but not relevant enough to be the lead sports story (which they could be if they ever get Ronaldo, Messi or Neymar to play for them, which will never happen).

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 10:54 PM, BBTV said:

Browns don't move to Baltimore.  Maybe Memphis or Jacksonville opens their arms and anuses to the NFL and gives Modell whatever he asks for and a mistake still gets made.

Baltimore was more willing to break rules to get a team in. Cleveland drug their feet on getting Modell his new stadium because he didn't want to deal with sharing a stadium with the Indians, because he was basically the one required to fix the stadium because the baseball team wasn't getting enough folks in to make up the difference. They (Baltimore) were also willing to go behind the league's back and talk directly to Modell, and had the meetings not been leaked the surprise would have been even greater when they finally announced the deal at the end of 1995. 

On 5/8/2021 at 9:30 PM, Crabcake said:

Nah. I see Cleveland Browns v1.0 becoming the Jacksonville Jaguars, with the Baltimore Ravens (or Bombers) being a true AFC expansion franchise in 1995. Cleveland Browns  v2.0 would still start up in 1999.