NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

The only reason Penn State is even considered is that the owner Terry Pegula went there.

He didn't just go there; the hockey arena is literally named after him. I don't remember all the details, but his wallet basically built the serious Penn State hockey program before he bought the Sabres. They'd probably give him a good deal, the same way the Army decided not to go after the Golden Knights and the owner just happened to be a big donor to West Point.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/01/bills-want-new-stadium-to-be-completely-funded-by-taxpayer-money/?fbclid=IwAR3lKvtv8xpZ52vJQ7lJjylveG_iVrG8czZ1e_XFTgOfvubX_bLA8-5rjO4

I know this is in another thread, but if the Bills want their new stadium to be completely funded by tax money. How fast are we talking about them moving if they don’t get the tax money to go into the new Stadium? Are we seeing a Oakland situation?

37 minutes ago, Gary said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/01/bills-want-new-stadium-to-be-completely-funded-by-taxpayer-money/?fbclid=IwAR3lKvtv8xpZ52vJQ7lJjylveG_iVrG8czZ1e_XFTgOfvubX_bLA8-5rjO4

I know this is in another thread, but if the Bills want their new stadium to be completely funded by tax money. How fast are we talking about them moving if they don’t get the tax money to go into the new Stadium? Are we seeing a Oakland situation?

Here's my feeling on the Bills' situation.

I would LOVE to have NFL football again in San Diego...

BUT...

I don't want the Bills to leave Buffalo.

Does that make sense?

26 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Here's my feeling on the Bills' situation.

I would LOVE to have NFL football again in San Diego...

BUT...

I don't want the Bills to leave Buffalo.

Does that make sense?

Completely. I get wanting a team, but not wanting another team's fans to feel your pain.

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

And also, I do wish some teams had the same community ownership like the Packers have.

The way franchise values are booking, I'm not sure there will be enough people rich enough to buy them, or to afford the inheritance taxes when they are passed down the family line. 

Yeah. I agree. Open this option up.

It's where I sit.

6 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Amazing, the Bills finally get good and now they threaten to leave. They’ll probably get what they want too. This whole thing sucks. 

They did this the last time they were good. During the Flutie years they pushed for major stadium renovations that they probably wouldn't have gotten without Flutie magic.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

19 hours ago, Gary said:

And how did Austin leapfrog Portland and San Antonio to be the new, "I'm going to (city named here) if I don't get what I want"? At least with San Antonio there's a fully functioning stadium that's available until they build  a permanent location. I guess UT would be able to share a stadium for 2 years, but would they really want to?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

And how did Austin leapfrog Portland and San Antonio to be the new, "I'm going to (city named here) if I don't get what I want"? At least with San Antonio there's a fully functioning stadium that's available until they build  a permanent location. I guess UT would be able to share a stadium for 2 years, but would they really want to?

Austin is booming and San Antonio is about the size of Kansas City with an outdated stadium. 

I don’t know how Jerrah is going to feel about it, though. Would need a rename too considering how tied the Bills identity is to Buffalo. 

4 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Austin is booming and San Antonio is about the size of Kansas City with an outdated stadium. 

I don’t know how Jerrah is going to feel about it, though. Would need a rename too considering how tied the Bills identity is to Buffalo. 

San Antonio is still larger than Austin. Yes, the Alamodome is old, but as far as a short term option it's better than the stadium in  Austin due to availability and the ability to sell alcohol. And I'm pretty sure that the city would be fine with opening up their pockets for a NFL stadium instead of a AAA or MLS one. I'm sure Jerry and the McNair's will be against it. They both get fans coming in from CenTex and losing that group to a team in the middle of the state would be a massive pain in the neck. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

29 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

San Antonio is still larger than Austin. Yes, the Alamodome is old, but as far as a short term option it's better than the stadium in  Austin due to availability and the ability to sell alcohol. And I'm pretty sure that the city would be fine with opening up their pockets for a NFL stadium instead of a AAA or MLS one. I'm sure Jerry and the McNair's will be against it. They both get fans coming in from CenTex and losing that group to a team in the middle of the state would be a massive pain in the neck. 

Would the Alamodome be available to use temporarily, or will this be a Memphis situation with the Oilers where San Antonio thinks they should be getting the team permanently, creating tension and issues? San Antonio has been trying for many years to get a team. Don't know how much they'd like just being the temporary home.

Yes, the Alamodome is old.

I refuse to acknowledge a world where a 28 year-old stadium is considered old. 

The Bills aren't going anywhere, this is the stupid game EVERY sports team plays and it's a f---ing shame.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

31 minutes ago, McCall said:

Would the Alamodome be available to use temporarily, or will this be a Memphis situation with the Oilers where San Antonio thinks they should be getting the team permanently, creating tension and issues? San Antonio has been trying for many years to get a team. Don't know how much they'd like just being the temporary home.

They just did an update less than 5 years ago. The only thing it's really missing is luxury suites, which is why they won't get the CFP Championship any time soon. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Just guessing here, but I'd presume that current size matters less than momentum and long-term prospectus. There are few cities in America right now growing as fast as Austin. In fact, a FreddieMac report from earlier this year, using Census data, showed the Austin MSA's population grew 28.9% between 2010 and 2019, the fastest rate among all U.S. metro areas. (Raleigh was a distant second at 22.3%.)

It's already become one of the de facto hot spots for corporate relocations (Oracle famously announced its move last December.)  It would stand to reason that it would, like Las Vegas, become a stalking horse for pro franchises threatening a move.

Gotta admit, though, I'm a little surprised to see it linked to the NFL.  I'd always assumed that the prominence of UT, and the city's relative close proximity to Houston, plus the fact it would be the state's third franchise, would have made it a tough sell. 

25 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Just guessing here, but I'd presume that current size matters less than momentum and long-term prospectus. There are few cities in America right now growing as fast as Austin. In fact, a FreddieMac report from earlier this year, using Census data, showed the Austin MSA's population grew 28.9% between 2010 and 2019, the fastest rate among all U.S. metro areas. (Raleigh was a distant second at 22.3%.)

It's already become one of the de facto hot spots for corporate relocations (Oracle famously announced its move last December.)  It would stand to reason that it would, like Las Vegas, become a stalking horse for pro franchises threatening a move.

Gotta admit, though, I'm a little surprised to see it linked to the NFL.  I'd always assumed that the prominence of UT, and the city's relative close proximity to Houston, plus the fact it would be the state's third franchise, would have made it a tough sell. 

The problem for both Austin and San Antonio is that they're so close to each other that they'll eventually grow into each other. San Marcos is really the only buffer between the two of them.  Then they'll just need an earthquake and be reborn as San Austin-Marcos and people will have to learn how to use the three shells. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I'm willing to give the Pegulas the benefit of the doubt - for now. They issued a statement claiming the Austin threat is baseless. Most Bills fans still don't realize the "Bon Jovi is going to move our team to Toronto" nonsense was completely fabricated by Trump's camp when he was still pursuing ownership himself.

Absolutely no chance I support a fully-taxpayer-funded stadium, especially as NFL teams in general begin to move away from that ridiculous method of funding stadium construction.

If I remember correctly, UT put up harsh resistance to a USL?potential MLS team from using its soccer stadium (a field with bleachers), I'd imagine there's 0% chance UT would let their football stadium be used for an NFL team, no matter how short/long the stay. Also, good luck finding land to build a football stadium in Austin. May as well put it in Waco or San Antonio, its the closest its getting to being inside the city limits.

But congrats Austin, on becoming the next Major League Bridesmaid!

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

They just did an update less than 5 years ago. The only thing it's really missing is luxury suites, which is why they won't get the CFP Championship any time soon. 

I meant, would San Antonio be bitter that they were not getting the team and therefore not let them use the Alamodome on a temporary basis?

Archived