NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

Well remember, the arbitration is non-binding too. So it's not like making it through arbitration magically saves St. Louis if the judge sides with them. And frankly even $150 seems like it's going to be a lowball number. A reno like they're proposing, and the stadium apparently needs, will be $250+ million...

I'm actually surprisingly impressed with the opening offer. Don't know if it will lead to a proposal that will work but it's a positive start. One possible source of the public funding would be diverting ticket tax money, similar to what was done for the Cards and Blues. I was surprised by the idea of creating 1500 more club seats...hadn't thought of that one.

Regarding the scoreboard, it would only be 75% of Jerry World's, so it's likely feasible. And I'd assume scrap the windows if it means we can do something else to generate more revenue. I've read people saying they want blue seats; that won't make the team any more "jack", which is what this is about.

Another plus would be that Oakland, San Diego, and Minnesota have stadiums that are much older and in need of replacement than the EJD so the NFL might want them moving to LA first.

Some more chips I hope the CVC has up their sleeve:

-better sound system

-buying/building a parking garage the Rams can control and monetize, perhaps in the bottle district area north of the dome

-if they put up a center hung scoreboard, they could take out the current video boards and add more loge and club seating there

The big minus is the same as it was yesterday: LA is and always will be a bigger media market than STL. If Stan wants to go to LA, he's gone. But if he wants to make a deal, I think it can happen.

The other big minus is that if this leads to a deal, it only kicks the can down the road until 2025 to 2030 at the latest. Then we do this all over again to discuss a whole new stadium.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I'm actually surprisingly impressed with the opening offer. Don't know if it will lead to a proposal that will work but it's a positive start. One possible source of the public funding would be diverting ticket tax money, similar to what was done for the Cards and Blues. I was surprised by the idea of creating 1500 more club seats...hadn't thought of that one.

Regarding the scoreboard, it would only be 75% of Jerry World's, so it's likely feasible. And I'd assume scrap the windows if it means we can do something else to generate more revenue. I've read people saying they want blue seats; that won't make the team any more "jack", which is what this is about.

Another plus would be that Oakland, San Diego, and Minnesota have stadiums that are much older and in need of replacement than the EJD so the NFL might want them moving to LA first.

Some more chips I hope the CVC has up their sleeve:

-better sound system

-buying/building a parking garage the Rams can control and monetize, perhaps in the bottle district area north of the dome

-if they put up a center hung scoreboard, they could take out the current video boards and add more loge and club seating there

The big minus is the same as it was yesterday: LA is and always will be a bigger media market than STL. If Stan wants to go to LA, he's gone. But if he wants to make a deal, I think it can happen.

The other big minus is that if this leads to a deal, it only kicks the can down the road until 2025 to 2030 at the latest. Then we do this all over again to discuss a whole new stadium.

Problem with that assumption about other teams is that the NFL doesn't want teams in those cities. We know the Raiders desired destination as far as the NFL is concerned is Santa Clara, not LA. They've said they'd like to keep a team in San Diego (albeit in a new stadium). And they'd like to keep a team in Minnesota. I can't recall them making any statements to that effect about St. Louis.

Well I'm not sure about the coliseum, but aren't the Vikings and Chargers basically on year to year leases now?

And I'd also say that the NFL is not speaking about it since there are 3 years left on the lease and they want to let this process play out.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

By the way, here's the Post-Dispatch's article. It has a few renderings. Nothing overly detailed, however.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/officials-present-million-plan-to-keep-rams-in-st-louis/article_bd7bf264-4d21-11e1-a94d-0019bb30f31a.html

I'm not seeing the vaunted center jumbotron of which they speak. Which redoubles my skepticism on that part of the offer. FWIW I seem to recall a distinct part of the raison d'etre of the JerryDome's two distinctive arches running its entire length was to help support the damn jumbotron. If that's true, hoo baby we might be staring down the barrel of a massively expensive renovation that the CVC is trying to avoid mentioning.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well I'm not sure about the coliseum, but aren't the Vikings and Chargers basically on year to year leases now?

And I'd also say that the NFL is not speaking about it since there are 3 years left on the lease and they want to let this process play out.

Actually I think the Vikings are possibly sans lease at the moment. IIRC the particulars are under debate. However, the Vikes haven't really made much noise about moving either.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Niether have the Rams.

Yes, but the Rams still technically have a lease. If the Vikings don't, in theory there's not a whole lot keeping them in Minnesota (besides a larger fanbase that will actually support the team financially even if they don't win 10 games a year.)

Today, we are all otaku.

No, Chargers lease runs for a few more years. They do have the option of opting out every January (which they declined this year) but it comes with a pro-rated penalty. But the Vikings I do believe are out of their lease right now. Raiders lease expires in a couple of years (2015 I believe).

No, Chargers lease runs for a few more years. They do have the option of opting out every January (which they declined this year) but it comes with a pro-rated penalty. But the Vikings I do believe are out of their lease right now. Raiders lease expires in a couple of years (2015 I believe).

The Vikings lease is up after this season.

Both Oakland teams have leases which expire after their 2013 seasons.

The Chargers lease allows them to trigger a termination clause every year through the 2020 season with a set lump sum payment on the stadium's remaining debt.

As for the NFL teams, there really is not a facility which they can move to until the fall of 2013 when the Rose Bowl is finished, but that project is adding a night shift to stay on schedule and it only 2,600 premium seats total.

I'm still amazed that the CVC is contractually obligated to upgrade the Dome, and yet they expect the Rams to pick up more than half the tab.

Plus there's the problem of them actually having access to the money. Public referenda on expenditures is a dicey proposition at best, as St. Louis found out when the rest of Missouri voted to slash the city's budget.

As for a place to play in LA until the new stadium is built, I think that's a total red herring. Either of the two proposed stadiums could be completed by the 2015 season.

But even if for some reason it's not quite ready when the Rams get to the opt-out, I don't think there would be much of a problem using either the Rose Bowl or Coliseum for a season. They might not have the luxury boxes, but that's easily made up in general attendance, as each stadium seats twice as many fans as have been buying tickets in St. Louis.

I don't think access the public funds will be much of an issue at all. The city and the state have pretty much always stepped up for sports. Further, there's funds already that can be diverted probably without much adieu. That's if the money stays in that 60-80 million range. They may need to get some approval from the public, but I don't think it'll have trouble passing. Especially if they're able to keep the "public" decision amongst elected representatives as they've done in the past.

As for my comments on the judge, it's not a fact, but I think it stands to reason that a government employed judge is going to side more with his constituents and his fellow government workers than with a billionaire looking for more money. If the judge has something against sports and giving any public money to them, that could change. That's a bit of a wild card, but it'd probably be political suicide for him to do so.

What? Sorry, the idea of beholding a judge to a political constituency still baffles me. Especially when it comes to something like this.

As for my comments on the judge, it's not a fact, but I think it stands to reason that a government employed judge is going to side more with his constituents and his fellow government workers than with a billionaire looking for more money. If the judge has something against sports and giving any public money to them, that could change. That's a bit of a wild card, but it'd probably be political suicide for him to do so.

What? Sorry, the idea of beholding a judge to a political constituency still baffles me. Especially when it comes to something like this.

I was thinking more along the lines of the politicians that appoint him who will likely support the CVC's endeavor.

I don't think access the public funds will be much of an issue at all. The city and the state have pretty much always stepped up for sports. Further, there's funds already that can be diverted probably without much adieu. That's if the money stays in that 60-80 million range. They may need to get some approval from the public, but I don't think it'll have trouble passing. Especially if they're able to keep the "public" decision amongst elected representatives as they've done in the past.

Somehow, I suspect it's going to be a little different now that Missouri is facing a $500 million shortfall. I'm not quite sure they are going to find the will to kick in that kind of money right after they handed a 12.5% aid cut to their entire state university system.

Today, we are all otaku.

I was thinking more along the lines of the politicians that appoint him who will likely support the CVC's endeavor.

Yeah, but aren't said politicians term limited? I'm not quite sure there's that much to fear retribution wise.

Today, we are all otaku.