NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

$700. Million. Dollars. For a stadium without a team.

Just move the Jaguars already.

If I was the Chargers I don't see why you wouldn't jump all over this. They can stay in SD until the Stadium is finished and keep but expand their fanbase.

If I were the Chargers, that's exactly what I'd do, only I'd continue to have training camp in San Diego and commit to playing one preseason game at the Q every year.

As a native San Diegan and lifelong Charger fan, I would disagree with this. I would never support the Chargers in L.A., they'd be "dead to me". In fact, I hate to say it but if they moved, I'd be more apt to cheer for the hated Raiders than the Chargers just out of spite.

I remember back when the Clippers left San Diego for L.A., everyone I knew in San Diego went from being Laker haters to Laker fans. Granted the Clippers had a much shorter history in S.D. but it's the same logic. If you're jilted, you hope for the worst for the jilter. Human nature.

I'll second this. I will never root for any team from Los Angeles.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right that it was a stupid clause. Because the new stadiums are so far above Edward Jones in terms of revenue generation that they've no hope of renovating it to fit.

Even if St Louis had the money, which they don't. Thanks to a cranky anti-tax "take money away from those city folk" ballot measure, St Louis will have a hard enough time paying its cops and teachers, much less coming up with a spare billion or so.

That stupid clause is what will send the Rams to LA.

Well based on the LA Mayor's comments it appears the Rams and Jags will be taking a back seat to the Vikings and Chargers for the time being as they'd like those two teams as their first choices and supposedly have already had meetings with them. Which might explain why the Chargers abruptly took that 35% share they were selling off the market.

Maybe. It could also be that in the Vikings case that was just a shot across the bow to really get the Minnesota legislature's attention (as if the HeftyDome's collapse wasn't enough). They appear to actually be moving again on a stadium.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

A couple things:

First, I read the stadium is to hold 64,000. I thought 70,000+ was the requirement for Super Bowls. Wouldnt this be one of the prime sites in the Super Bowl rotation? Why not over 70,000?

Also, doesnt Al Davis hold the rights, or at least THINK he holds the rights, to the Los Angeles market? I doubt he will just let another team move in there without a fight.

A couple things:

First, I read the stadium is to hold 64,000. I thought 70,000+ was the requirement for Super Bowls. Wouldnt this be one of the prime sites in the Super Bowl rotation? Why not over 70,000?

Also, doesnt Al Davis hold the rights, or at least THINK he holds the rights, to the Los Angeles market? I doubt he will just let another team move in there without a fight.

The farmersfield.com website states that the stadium will hold approx. 68,000, and will be expandable to 78,000.

You're right that it was a stupid clause. Because the new stadiums are so far above Edward Jones in terms of revenue generation that they've no hope of renovating it to fit.

Even if St Louis had the money, which they don't. Thanks to a cranky anti-tax "take money away from those city folk" ballot measure, St Louis will have a hard enough time paying its cops and teachers, much less coming up with a spare billion or so.

Well based on the LA Mayor's comments it appears the Rams and Jags will be taking a back seat to the Vikings and Chargers for the time being as they'd like those two teams as their first choices and supposedly have already had meetings with them. Which might explain why the Chargers abruptly took that 35% share they were selling off the market.

Maybe. It could also be that in the Vikings case that was just a shot across the bow to really get the Minnesota legislature's attention (as if the HeftyDome's collapse wasn't enough). They appear to actually be moving again on a stadium.

True.

And just because Villagarossa wants the Vikes, doesn't mean he'll get them. He wants the best two teams out of the likely candidates, who can blame him? But those won't necessarily be the ones who actually want to move.

Only problem with that theory is what motivation would the mayor of LA have for sending a shot across the bow of the Minnesota legislature?

haha they think they can get the winter classic? if the ice starts melting when its about 40 hows it gonna stay frozen at 70?

Close the roof, turn on the AC, and have under ice freezing equipment like every NHL arena in the US?

I don't think the mayor's preference was the significant part of the story, but that he revealed the AEG group had a preference by mocking up Farmers Field for the Vikings and Chargers, or perhaps tipped their hand on who they had met with. Not that those two wouldn't be obvious, but as sure as some seem the Rams will be on the move, are we even sure L.A. will still be an option by the time their lease expires? The two teams they mocked up are very immediate choices.

Only problem with that theory is what motivation would the mayor of LA have for sending a shot across the bow of the Minnesota legislature?

The mayor of LA? None.

The Vikings? A whole lot.

If negotiations between the Vikings and LA were made public in any way, do you think it would be without the consent and approval of the club?

I see the Vikings moving to LA, Rams moving to LA also to play in the same stadium...and Jacksonvill moving to STL or MIN after a few more years to fill their slots when they finally agree to build a new stadium to get a team back.

I wonder if the Vikings would be forced to leave the name and logo's behind in Minny though?

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

I see the Vikings moving to LA, Rams moving to LA also to play in the same stadium...

Two NFC teams in LA? No way.

I don't think the mayor's preference was the significant part of the story, but that he revealed the AEG group had a preference by mocking up Farmers Field for the Vikings and Chargers, or perhaps tipped their hand on who they had met with. Not that those two wouldn't be obvious, but as sure as some seem the Rams will be on the move, are we even sure L.A. will still be an option by the time their lease expires? The two teams they mocked up are very immediate choices.

The only way the Rams stay in St Louis is if another NFC team beats them there.

I somehow see the Vikings pulling put a deal, maybe at the old ammo dump. But the Rams? They're headed for a repeat of 1995, when a new stadium deal beckoned them out of their home and towards greener fields.

I wonder if the Vikings would be forced to leave the name and logo's behind in Minny though?

Minnesota has a Cleveland Deal Law on the books, but the NFL could say "no you can't keep the trademarks" and Minnesota would be too polite to challenge them any further.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Posturing 101: Vikings make strong suggestion to LA that they'd be interested, and the LA mayor reacts accordingly.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If a second AFC team beats them there -- say, the Jaguars -- it could also send the Rams to the AFC South with Indy, Houston and Tennessee. Might be a better situation for them. Of course, joining the NFC North would be, too.

Who would you kick out of the NFC north? If two AFC teams beat the Rams to LA, that means the Vikings stay put.

One of the reasons that the Rams and Chargers make so much sense in Los Angeles is that all existing divisional alignment stays in place. Who knows, maybe St Louis will eventually be able to lure the Jags, since their move is also a virtual foregone conclusion. And that makes sense geographically as well.

If a second AFC team beats them there -- say, the Jaguars -- it could also send the Rams to the AFC South with Indy, Houston and Tennessee. Might be a better situation for them. Of course, joining the NFC North would be, too.

In what way?

Level of competition gets bumped in difficulty. (weakest division in the league exchanged for playing Peyton Manning twice a season)

Their proximity to their opponents improves the likelihood said opponents will take over the stadium. (Good for the box office, bad for home field advantage)

Yearly travel goes down, but this is the goddamn NFL, which means travel isn't too onerous to begin with.

--------------------------------------------

Also, privately, I'd prefer to not have to issue fatwas against another entire Conference. I hate enough teams already.

Today, we are all otaku.

Under such a scenario, how many years do you think the land would have to lie fallow before the Jaguars could move to St. Louis? I'd say at least three.

Furthermore, if the Jaguars made this move, how much better off would they be? St. Louis gives off the feeling of a steadily eroding NFL market. Being hemmed in between the Bears, Chiefs, and Mizzou (U of I to a much lesser extent) with so many years of bad or non-existent pro football makes it a mid-sized market that's smaller than it appears, the polar opposite of St. Louis for the Cardinals.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Under such a scenario, how many years do you think the land would have to lie fallow before the Jaguars could move to St. Louis? I'd say at least three.

Furthermore, if the Jaguars made this move, how much better off would they be? St. Louis gives off the feeling of a steadily eroding NFL market. Being hemmed in between the Bears, Chiefs, and Mizzou (U of I to a much lesser extent) with so many years of bad or non-existent pro football makes it a mid-sized market that's smaller than it appears, the polar opposite of St. Louis for the Cardinals.

For all those reasons, plus an aging facility and empty civic coffers, I actually don't see St Louis getting another team for a long time. Maybe decades.

Then again, Jacksonville is such a terrible market, even a merely bad one can look like a step up.

Archived