NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

Last hurdle for the Vikings new stadium I do believe go tonight.

Also here are some conceptual photos of what the new stadium will look like, including the previous design, that looks like what Lucas Oil is modeled after now.

Link.

Note* Doesn't look like it'll have a retractable roof.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also here are some conceptual photos of what the new stadium will look like, including the previous design, that looks like what Lucas Oil is modeled after now.

Link.

Considering most of those northern domes are closed during the winter anyway and during any large playoff or super bowl event building a permanent dome doesn't seem like a bad idea.

As for LA's stadium being in trouble, given AEG's ownership demand and discount demands I'm not surprised. LA is just going to end up being another red herring to get existing cities/regions to pony up for new stadiums as they have in SF and are soon to do in Minnesota. The LA mania will peak again if SD and/or St. Louis don't get moving soon to spurn them on too.

I mean Minneapolis would love another Super Bowl, would love another Final Four, or Regional Final. It works, I don't even like the retractable roof stadiums, you're either closed in, or outdoors, that's how I look at.

Also they want to capture that crazy noise that was generated at the Homerdome, this new one looks like a beefed up, modern Metrodome. I like it.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Link.

Is the roof cloth AND flat? That seems like asking for trouble.

I mean Minneapolis would love another Super Bowl, would love another Final Four, or Regional Final. It works, I don't even like the retractable roof stadiums, you're either closed in, or outdoors, that's how I look at.

Also they want to capture that crazy noise that was generated at the Homerdome, this new one looks like a beefed up, modern Metrodome. I like it.

With the way they've done the football ones (and the way so far they've had to) you're right. None of them really OPEN like say a retractable roof baseball stadium does in say Seattle or Miami. All the retractable roof NFL stadiums are still pretty enclosed and environmentally contained even with the tops open. And that's when they bother to even open them. If it saves a municipality wasting hundreds of millions it's worth it to just go with a static dome which still works in football as the Saints can attest.

And even moreso, the Lions. Having a modern stadium with a roof hasn't hurt them one bit.

I'm surprised to hear the Vikings are going for a roof. Haven't they been saying open air all along? First the location, now the stadium design. They aren't winning many battles, but I guess they'll win the war if they finally get something (anything) done.

With the way they've done the football ones (and the way so far they've had to) you're right. None of them really OPEN like say a retractable roof baseball stadium does in say Seattle or Miami. All the retractable roof NFL stadiums are still pretty enclosed and environmentally contained even with the tops open. And that's when they bother to even open them. If it saves a municipality wasting hundreds of millions it's worth it to just go with a static dome which still works in football as the Saints can attest.

Also remember in the Arden Hills project (retractable roof), Wilf attempted to woo the public by saying that they would attract an MLS team hence the desire for a retractable roof for their season. Since they have changed city/county limits, he hasn't said so much. With a retractable roof, the only additional thing they could get every summer is either a U2, Jimmy Buffett or a Kenny Chesney show. And with those Target Field could challenge them if the Twins are on a nine game road trip.

Another dome? Wimps.

I don't disagree, but replace "Wimps" with "Idiots" and you got my response. The elements of Minnesota's winter gave the Vikings an extra two wins each year in the old Metropolitan Stadium. The fact that, even after all of the disadvantages of the Vikings playing indoors have been exposed, they would still choose to build another dome is just further proof that this is a franchise that'd rather make money off of non-football ventures than put a quality football team on the field that's capable of winning a Super Bowl. I'm embarrassed to even consider them a rival.

You know, TCF Bank Stadium is allowed to sell booze now. If this falls through, just finish making that stadium NFL-compliant.

What would that take, or cost? TCF doesn't have the suites, it's missing 20,000 seats and it doesn't have a winter capable field. What else is it lacking?

Another dome? Wimps.

I don't disagree, but replace "Wimps" with "Idiots" and you got my response. The elements of Minnesota's winter gave the Vikings an extra two wins each year in the old Metropolitan Stadium. The fact that, even after all of the disadvantages of the Vikings playing indoors have been exposed, they would still choose to build another dome is just further proof that this is a franchise that'd rather make money off of non-football ventures than put a quality football team on the field that's capable of winning a Super Bowl. I'm embarrassed to even consider them a rival.

Ha. You want an outdoor stadium in Minnesota. In December and January. Playing football in the cold (and trust me MN is Crazy COLD that time of year) hurts. It hurts extremely bad. And you are paying these players millions of dollars. It would highly deter FAs and injure a ton of players. They aren't wimps or idiots. Outdoor football that time of year in MN is not doable.

But I rather have a closed roof and not a dome. Domes suck

Not how cold a STADIUM can get but how much worse everything hurts when it's that cold. I guess we didn't have heated benches or coats or anything but I played football in MN and it is miserable in November.

But yeah good point. Green bay seems to get along well. Though i would think Minneapolis is colder. Not sure though

Edit:I'd argue that more players get hurt in GB than warm cities or domes.

I don't think Minneapolis is colder than Green Bay. It's pretty close in terms of latitude, and there's no pesky great lake. They could handle the cold.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

At least if it's a dome they still can use it for the non-football things they use the Metordome for now. The Metrodome hosts running, inline skating, and many other indoor events during the winter off-season.

Hopefully they'll somehow shoehorn a baseball field in since the Metrodome hosts a lot of early season high school baseball, sometimes around the clock.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

• 2 weeks later...

Archived