NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

Ahh. A chat.

I assume what he's NOT saying is that he's counting broadcasts from the preseason opponents and that it won't be 8 states at once. Lessee...Colts, Cowboys, Chiefs, and Ravens for foes. His claims are mighty suspicious in the absence of press releases.

Rams get Oklahoma, Illinois, Missouri; Chiefs bring in Kansas and Nebraska, Colts: Indiana, Ravens: Maryland, Cowboys: Texas and either Arkansas or New Mexico

There's your 8.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

He says on the "Rams Broadcast Network" and he's the Rams Executive VP and COO. You're skeptical about the whole operation in St. Louis, I understand, but that's a pretty straightforward source and statement.

We're in May. I wouldn't expect a release concerning the Rams preseason games now, would you?

Except its not. It's in a chat fergodsake. Nobody's going to remember stuff said in that two months from now.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Except its not. It's in a chat fergodsake. Nobody's going to remember stuff said in that two months from now.

Sure it's a chat, but I don't particularly understand why that matters.

He's still the Executive VP and COO making a public statement. You're being extreme in your skepticism right now. Quite extreme.

Sure it's a chat, but I don't particularly understand why that matters.

He's still the Executive VP and COO making a public statement. You're being extreme in your skepticism right now. Quite extreme.

No I'm not. Executives that high are routinely paid to misrepresent the truth at best and flat out lie at worst in all businesses.

Today, we are all otaku.

This is what the Rams are actually saying on their webpage:

Rams Preseason Games to be Televised Across the Midwest

ST. LOUIS, MO – Fan across the Midwest region will have an opportunity to watch each of the Rams’ 2011 preseason games as 11 stations in five different states will broadcast the four contests.

KTVI-Fox 2 in St. Louis is the “Home of the Rams,” while stations in Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Oklahoma and Arkansas will carry the games as part of the Rams broadcast network.

Veteran play-by-play man Andrew Siciliano will be joined by former NFL offensive lineman Ross Tucker for Saturday’s game, and Rams Hall of Fame running back Marshall Faulk will serve as the analyst for the final three preseason games. Former Rams offensive tackle Orlando Pace and KTVI sports reporter Maurice Drummond will serve as sideline reporters for each of the four telecasts.

The stations that will carry the Rams’ preseason telecasts are listed below:

Missouri

KTVI-Fox 2 St. Louis

KRBK-Fox Springfield

KOMU-CBS 8 Columbia

KFVS-CBS Cape Girardeau

KFJX-Fox 14 Joplin

Illinois

WBUI-CW Springfield

Indiana

WAZE-CW 19 Evansville

Oklahoma

KOBC/KOKH-CW/Fox Oklahoma City

KWTV-CBS Oklahoma City

KTUL-ABC Tulsa

Arkansas

KFSM-CBS Fort Smith

I think rams80 is right - the eight-state count seems to include the opponents' markets. Still good that they're reaching out, though.

That's a 2011 Press Release.

Demoff said this is the FIRST TIME. Meaning 2012. So of course the 2011 Preseason release won't include it.

By the way, that release came out when? In AUGUST. Again, no surprise the Rams haven't formally announced the viewership of the preseason games in May. None of this points to Kevin Demoff lying, though.

If the Rams were basing this on opponents broadcasts they could have made the 8-state claim last year, and probably a good few years before that, too.

Yeah, I think we're reaching a bit looking for signs that the Rams are headed to L.A. at this point. If the Vikings' process taught us anything, it's that they shoot for the moon, but are content to settle among the stars. /CaseyKasem /sorry

Even someone in this thread said that despite the Vikings repeatedly settling for less and less with every new proposal, compared to the 49ers they made out like bandits. Minnesota used to be known as tough on owners, but they probably had a few more bluffs to call before L.A. was even uttered. They don't even have a lease, do they?

L.A. is being used to milk these cities for whatever they can get. (And I still don't know why they are a "lock" for two. Why go 2 to 0 then back from 0 to 2. See if they want to support even one first. "Fairness to Fox and CBS" doesn't seem like a valid answer to me. Where is the Chicago AFC team?)

The Rams aren't really aiming for the moon. If anything, they landed in the middle or even at the bottom of the mythical "first tier." They certainly didn't ask for the $1B Cowboys Stadium, or even the widely-reported retractable roof, or a new stadium at all, for that matter. It's a renovation. Doable if both sides are willing to work.

And throwing out the added bonus of a Super Bowl makes it all the more tempting to do it right the second time.

MLB dangled the D.C. carrot as long as they could I suppose, but Oakland was left without a chair and they've been struggling for years to get it done without a valid threat. (Tampa Bay and its lease are the Jaguars in MLB's scenario, but every other team that wanted a new stadium got one.)

From a TV perspective, if LA is to get one team, to me it would be more fair to have that team in the AFC. It would cancel out Chicago in the NFC.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

If it's a Cape Girardeau station, it probably hits enough of Kentucky and Tennessee to count those among "eight states," even though you're not in any Kentucky/Tennessee media markets. There's also a pocket of Iowa that seems to get Hannibal stations. So there you go. Eight.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

From a TV perspective, if LA is to get one team, to me it would be more fair to have that team in the AFC. It would cancel out Chicago in the NFC.

That does not matter as much as it did before. Starting in 2014 they are going to enact "flexible scheduling" to an even greater extent.

Interesting...so then I would think LA is going to end up with one team only if they get one.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Perhaps, but I don't see two at once. If the market proves that there's so much interest that it can't be satisfied by just one team, sure. Not sure L.A. qualifies when it comes to the NFL anymore. I mean, it will be 20 years without by the time someone gets back. No one would believe that if you told them that in 1995.

I view two NFL teams in L.A. a bit like Seattle saying their new arena needs NBA and NHL commitments before lifting a shovel. (A requirement they wisely just reduced to NBA only.) Is Seattle really a 5-team market (counting MLS for them because of support)? Why jump from 3 to 5 by adding two teams that overlap?

Same here. Why flood the L.A. market with two teams in one stadium when you could build one focused, powerful fanbase and potentially create a hot ticket in a town with a lot of them? A half-empty stadium early on for one of the teams in L.A. would be even more embarassing, you'd think.

If it's a Cape Girardeau station, it probably hits enough of Kentucky and Tennessee to count those among "eight states," even though you're not in any Kentucky/Tennessee media markets. There's also a pocket of Iowa that seems to get Hannibal stations. So there you go. Eight.

Again, he said the FIRST TIME. So anyway you could have made 8-states work last year is not the same way they're making it 8-states this year. Something new is happening.

Why is this so hard to believe?

Again, he said the FIRST TIME. So anyway you could have made 8-states work last year is not the same way they're making it 8-states this year. Something new is happening.

Because there has to be enough of a demand in these various markets to warrant whichever stations to pick up Rams football.

Call us skeptics, but if the locals aren't craving Rams football....why would those farther away from St. Louis suddenly be interested in a team that's gone 15-65 the last five years?

Because it's hard to come up with serious market penetration across eight states without bumping into other teams' coverage areas or just counting nominal presence in a few border counties. Most of Indiana is going to carry the Colts, most of Kentucky the Bengals, Tennessee the Titans, &c. It's still an impressive preseason network (rare occasion that someone uses "impressive" to describe anything about the NFL preseason) simply by virtue of picking up more of Missouri/Illinois and then adding Oklahoma for Bradford appeal. Columbia/Jeff City was solid Chiefs territory in my brief experience, so that can't hurt.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If you think that would happen.

I see the second team as not wanting to play too much catch-up.

I'm fairly confident that it wouldn't with just one, but put the Rams of the last five years there and don't you think it would? Especially if they were the "second" team?

All hypothetical, and imdossible to know. I'm sure the NFL has done its homework. I guess I'm saying I realize the upside to playing in L.A., but if there are doubts about the L.A. fanbase supporting (or caring about having) one team, then why is two always assumed to be a lock?