NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

Just throwing this out there, but could the Dolphins stand for a new stadium in 10 years or so? I don't know; everything about Sunlife(or whatever it's called) just seems very drab and boring.

Sun Life Stadium has the most upper bowl seats in the NFL (35,000) as well as fewest number of lower bowl seats between the 20s.

They could but, who is going to pay for it? Ross is busy paying back his loan on buying the team and while Broward and Miami-Dade are not paying for it.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've actually been throwing around ideas about redevelopment for a while. They even came out with renderings back around the time of Super Bowl XLIV

51502497.jpg

The problem as dfwabel says though is where to get the money from, especially with so much having just been spent down there on the new Marlins park.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

They've actually been throwing around ideas about redevelopment for a while. They even came out with renderings back around the time of Super Bowl XLIV

51502497.jpg

The problem as dfwabel says though is where to get the money from, especially with so much having just been spent down there on the new Marlins park.

So European.

Funny, I dont remember a blackout.

Goth strikes again . Capn bandwagon. Biggest liar of this thread.Jax isnt moving and it kills you inside. Cant bandwagon them either. From NY and a Packers fan? Joke like the rest of them.

I generally didn't have have an opinion regarding the Jags' continued existence in Jacksonville, until now. This was just sad. I hope you were drunk when you posted that.

Just throwing this out there, but could the Dolphins stand for a new stadium in 10 years or so? I don't know; everything about Sunlife(or whatever it's called) just seems very drab and boring.

Sun Life Stadium has the most upper bowl seats in the NFL (35,000) as well as fewest number of lower bowl seats between the 20s.

They could but, who is going to pay for it? Ross is busy paying back his loan on buying the team and while Broward and Miami-Dade are not paying for it.

I've never said it before, but a public stadium in Miami might actually make sense. When you're virtually guaranteed to get a Super Bowl every five years or so, you actually would recoup some of that money.

I've never said it before, but a public stadium in Miami might actually make sense. When you're virtually guaranteed to get a Super Bowl every five years or so, you actually would recoup some of that money.

OTOH, if you're guaranteed to get the Super Bowl even in the stadium you have, what's the rush?

Additionally, from what I understand, hosting the Super Bowl is more like buying a great big advertisement. The city losses money on the actual even, but it presumably opens up other cash flows into various parts of the region.

But with that said, Miami kind of markets itself. Does it need the Super Bowl to open those cash flows?

I don't know, but it'd be interesting to see that really dissected.

OTOH, if you're guaranteed to get the Super Bowl even in the stadium you have, what's the rush?

Additionally, from what I understand, hosting the Super Bowl is more like buying a great big advertisement. The city losses money on the actual even, but it presumably opens up other cash flows into various parts of the region.

But with that said, Miami kind of markets itself. Does it need the Super Bowl to open those cash flows?

I don't know, but it'd be interesting to see that really dissected.

50,000 hotel rooms x $100 per night x 13.5% tax = $675,000 per night

Those are guesstimates, but it's a start. The taxes on rental cars can be ridiculous, too, even not during a Super Bowl.

It is still diminishing returns; the more hotels open in either Miami-Dade or Broward, the competition within hotels will impact taxes collected. Plus, since the land is in Miami-Dade, but the team wants Broward to chip in with tax money. Plus there still is the open bill in which if state money used, then the sports facility must be designated as an emergency shelter during a natural disaster.

The other argument against Super Bowls making money is that all other conventions, meetings, etc. find other places to go during that time. Not sure if I agree with that but it's a point to consider.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Seems more like Goodell and the league being ahead of the situation rather than a precursor to any sort of imminent move but still interesting to note.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-nfl-la-goodell-20120630,0,6147779.story

Interesting that the league is considering two sites other than the two already known. Carson would be a nightmare I think from an access POV. Hollywood Park is interesting and not something I'd heard in a while.

Hollywood Park is interesting to consider.

As is that bit about the Raiders having an extra hurdle.

Sounds like he'd put an extra hurdle in front of all the teams, just that he highlighted the Raiders hurdle in the interview. Which frankly doesn't surprise me as the NFL has made no secret of the fact they'd like the Raiders in the Niners new Santa Clara Stadium. And so far the Raiders haven't stated any good reason not to beyond variations of the "Oakland pride" excuse.

Hmmm...

Applications can be in as late as mid-February 2013 for a 2013 move. INTERESTING. Gives plenty of time for the Rams to get one in following a "collapse" of arbitration while not further damaging attendance. And since they won't be making the playoffs, no worries on that front either.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Rams would have to buy their way out of the last two years of the lease in that case, but I don't see that as being a stumbling block. St. Louis won't want to keep them around for those two lame-duck seasons.

I know arbitration is scheduled to go until December, but how long does the CVC have to accept or reject the results? Could they push it past this deadline?

The Rams would have to buy their way out of the last two years of the lease in that case, but I don't see that as being a stumbling block. St. Louis won't want to keep them around for those two lame-duck seasons.

I know arbitration is scheduled to go until December, but how long does the CVC have to accept or reject the results? Could they push it past this deadline?

Two years out of a lease is one thing, but the relocation fee which the NFL would split among the other owners is going to be enormous, upwards of $600M+ since the franchise's value would increase by that number or even more. If Industry is the site, the NFL/franchise would be responsible for the entire stadium cost. Sam Farmer has been on this for a while and even spoke to Rich Eisen for an extended period of time earlier in June.

That memo tells you that Roger Goodell isn't going to let teams move easily. He's not going to let the Rams move two seasons before they actually have to have a deal worked out.

Additionally, I find it highly unlikely the Rams themselves will push that outcome at that time either. Nothing about the way the Rams have played this has suggested they're trying to get out or in a rush to get to LA. It remains a possible outcome, but there's little reason to anticipate it happening soon.

Again, the resolution of the "first-tier"/opt-out clause in the lease is just one step. If the first-tier clause is not met, the two sides will continue to negotiate other options. Each side has said as much.

I'd be surprised if the Rams move to LA, but I'd be incredibly surprised if they do it next year.

Archived