NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

Yeah, and that's why I was surprised to see this even come about. I imagine they wouldn't do this without some sense of possibility, but I have no idea what that would be.

I'm not an expert on development, but I surmise this is a project that is probably 3+ years from being built anyways. These are simply studies on where I stadium could go for now. So there's a lot to play out.

Perhaps in that time, the MLS will re-consider expanding.

Afterall, the strongest reason to halt expansions is a lack of feasible markets (including owner/stadium). (I realize talent distribution is a factor, too, but probably not the largest.) If St. Louis were to have a deep pocketed owner and a Soccer Specific Stadium, I think the market is undoubtedly feasible (I can't prove anything, but I can't imagine a soccer city like St. Louis wouldn't support a top division team in downtown extremely well).

Anyways, I'm not anticipating any major news to come from this anytime soon, but it's a curious development. We'll see where it leads.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, and that's why I was surprised to see this even come about. I imagine they wouldn't do this without some sense of possibility, but I have no idea what that would be.

I'm not an expert on development, but I surmise this is a project that is probably 3+ years from being built anyways. These are simply studies on where I stadium could go for now. So there's a lot to play out.

Afterall, the strongest reason to halt expansions is a lack of feasible markets (including owner/stadium). (I realize talent distribution is a factor, too, but probably not the largest.) If St. Louis were to have a deep pocketed owner and a Soccer Specific Stadium, I think the market is undoubtedly feasible (I can't prove anything, but I can't imagine a soccer city like St. Louis wouldn't support a top division team in downtown extremely well).

Anyways, I'm not anticipating any major news to come from this anytime soon, but it's a curious development. We'll see where it leads.

Well lack of markets and the FIFA mandate for countries to not have more than 20 teams.

Plus a very cautious and deliberate pattern of recent expansion, not one particularly given to rewarding failed markets with teams.

And that's precisely what St. Louis is right now - is recent history is any guide, they'll need to show they can support a lower-division club before they can talk about MLS.

Oh. I didn't realize FIFA had a mandate. That's weird. Wonder if the MLS will truly stick to that for long. If they're successful in the markets they're in, and they and they have other open markets available, I just can't see why they wouldn't go to them.

I say that regardless of St. Louis. That said, I'm not sure how well they're doing in their current markets. I had assumed that that was the reason they weren't expanding—to solidify their current markets.

Well lack of markets and the FIFA mandate for countries to not have more than 20 teams.

To which MLS should respond "We're not at 20 per country yet." ;)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

To which MLS should respond "We're not at 20 per country yet." ;)

They will be in about 6 months when they announce the NYC2 team.

Oh. I didn't realize FIFA had a mandate. That's weird. Wonder if the MLS will truly stick to that for long. If they're successful in the markets they're in, and they and they have other open markets available, I just can't see why they wouldn't go to them.

I say that regardless of St. Louis. That said, I'm not sure how well they're doing in their current markets. I had assumed that that was the reason they weren't expanding—to solidify their current markets.

FIFA actually prefers 18 team leagues when they passed the measure in 2006. it allows for balanced scheduling as well as adequate time for European club and international competition. Two less teams = much less TV revenue. Even more so for the English FA who has 24 teams in their 2nd-4th Divisions.

That said, one of your earlier comments about "an owner with deep pockets" really does not even apply to the MLS with their current CBA which runs through the 2014 season. The "salary cap" is under $3 million/team. There are ways which teams can easily go over (utilizing designated players and allocation money), but that does not guarantee success nor is it required. It is really a mess.

Can't MLS get special dispensation to go over 20 because they're a two-country league? FIFA is supposed to frown on that detail, too.

Not really. But they can just ignore FIFA. It has worked for the Brits for years. That said they've self imposed a hold at 20 to let the league catch it's breath competition wise. Plus they still have to get the house in order in DC, LA Chivas, and NE (not to mention suggestions that Columbus needs something to give it a boost as well) before they go on with further expansion. Plus after the success of the Pacific NW they're very keen to only allow in markets that not only have a money bags owner, but also the potential to replicate to some extent what Seattle, Portland and Vancouver have been able to do. I'm not sure St. Louis is that market.

Can't MLS get special dispensation to go over 20 because they're a two-country league? FIFA is supposed to frown on that detail, too.

The old NASL had the 35 yard offside line, not exactly FIFA compliant.

The Bundasliga went from 18 to 20 during unification, but went back to 18 in two years. China has over 1 billion people, yet still only has a 16 team top flight.

That said, one of your earlier comments about "an owner with deep pockets" really does not even apply to the MLS with their current CBA which runs through the 2014 season. The "salary cap" is under $3 million/team. There are ways which teams can easily go over (utilizing designated players and allocation money), but that does not guarantee success nor is it required. It is really a mess.

Well, I guess I didn't mean deep pockets like ridiculously deep. But St. Louis missed out on MLS expansion before because their ownership group(s) barely had pockets at all (much as I was in denial at the time). So I just meant an ownership group that could sustain some losses and such.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm listening to the Rams / Packers game on TV from the next room over... why is the crowd (in St. Louis!) going crazy every time the Packers have a good play?

Because the crowd's from Wisconsin. No this does not reflect well upon St. Louis.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Jags are drifting farther from the LA list. Tarps are already starting to come off. Even with the tarps the stadium was huge for the market. Bigger than Chicago's.

http://www.bigcatcou...kets-bears-2012

They're probably taking the tarps off for the thousands of Bears fans who find it more affordable, convenient, and rewarding to fly to goddamn Jacksonville for a game than to go to the Unidentified False-Start-Inducing Object.

That, or they're airing out the seats for next weekend's Georgia-Florida game. They need to let those seats soak in the odors of Jacksonville so that all fans get the authentic Outdoor Cocktail Party experience.....

BEST FANS IN BASEBALL!

Today, we are all otaku.

The Jags are drifting farther from the LA list. Tarps are already starting to come off. Even with the tarps the stadium was huge for the market. Bigger than Chicago's.

They're probably taking the tarps off for the thousands of Bears fans who find it more affordable, convenient, and rewarding to fly to goddamn Jacksonville for a game than to go to the Unidentified False-Start-Inducing Object.

That, or they're airing out the seats for next weekend's Georgia-Florida game. They need to let those seats soak in the odors of Jacksonville so that all fans get the authentic Outdoor Cocktail Party experience.....

Is it true that Jacksonville reeks of sulfur?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Is it true that Jacksonville reeks of sulfur?

There was a time, yeah. Especially back when environmental laws were lax. A lot of paper mills. Now you get the Maxwell House plant smell. It smells like ground coffee. Makes me think of overcast winter days at the stadium. You can still get some hints of paper mill in some spots.

I'm listening to the Rams / Packers game on TV from the next room over... why is the crowd (in St. Louis!) going crazy every time the Packers have a good play?

Because the crowd's from Wisconsin. No this does not reflect well upon St. Louis.

It's the same when they play here in Tampa Bay too. Probably a few others places I suppose.

It's the same when they play here in Tampa Bay too. Probably a few others places I suppose.

Happens all over the NFL. The Packers are one of those teams with a good bandwagontravelling base, so of course their fans will show up in droves when they're coming up against a team like St. Louis that hasn't won anything for about a decade.

Archived