NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

Yep.

Other than a team publicly admitting it wants to move, are there any marks left for LA to hit?

Unfortunately for LA that's the biggie. And it'll require AEG to lower their desired ownership of a team to a minority stake at market prices...

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've already talked about doing that. Roski did too (he's not as good at accumulating ink as AEG, but his stadium is also shovel-ready).

No they talked about lowering it to a minority stake. Not sure they talked about paying market rate for a piece. And even then they need to find a willing seller who has given up on their current home market.

Roski has absolutely agreed to settle for a minority stake at market price.

Spurred on by his concession, AEG put that on the table before we knew they were for sale. They never agreed outright, but the new owners will have to.

Where do we stand on candidates right now? Is this right?

• The Chargers could move at any point assuming they give notice by their annual deadline.

• The Rams lease runs through 2014 at present, but they could start floating LA as early as February. At this point it does not appear that they'll take this approach until closer to the end of the lease.

• The Panthers are starting to seek public money to upgrade their privately-owned stadium. They could leave at any point, but there are no indications that's their plan.

• The Jaguars have a sturdy lease and an owner who appears committed to Jacksonville for now. They would have to show (3?) consecutive years of losses to break the lease.

• The Raiders could move at any time, but at this point do not appear to be a strong candidate to move to LA.

• The Vikings are almost entirely off the market. There are minor hurdles to be cleared with their stadium deal, but for all intents and purposes, they do not belong on this list.

• The Bills long-term future is uncertain, but they're not in the immediate discussion for an LA move.

Am I missing anyone?

Not sure why the Raiders aren't considered a strong candidate at this point. They have no stadium plans in the Bay Area nor will any materialize in Oakland that don't involve the Raiders paying the lions share of the stadium construction (something they're both unable and unwilling to do). While they're not a strong candidate to be the first team, it seems a likely conclusion they're a very strong candidate for team 2 considering they have a large fan base in SoCal already and are still marketed and broadcast in LA weekly.

The league doesn't want the Raiders back in LA, neither do many of LA's politicians.

Raider games were known for being raucous affairs, with fans barely in control. That's not the impression anybody wants for what will instantly become one of the highest-profile teams in the biggest league in the country.

The league doesn't want the Raiders back in LA, neither do many of LA's politicians.

Raider games were known for being raucous affairs, with fans barely in control. That's not the impression anybody wants for what will instantly become one of the highest-profile teams in the biggest league in the country.

Al Davis already proved repeatedly that it doesn't matter what the league wants. If he son chooses to move them to LA to be the second team, they'll move to LA.

Al Davis already proved repeatedly that it doesn't matter what the league wants. If he son chooses to move them to LA to be the second team, they'll move to LA.

What if Greater Los Angeles itself says, "No, we won't let you play here."

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Greater Los Angeles has a say in anything that happens there?

Greater Los Angeles has a say in anything that happens there?

At some point elected civic leaders do get involved in the whole contract and lease thing, yes. Example: You want your stadium to have a liquor license? "Oh my, we can't let you have one if its the Raiders." And so on...

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

All of that said, I think the Raiders may well end up the 2nd team in LA. But because I don't think it will happen in a hurry, I see basically no chance that they're the first team.

Agreed. I find it highly unlikely they'd ever be the first team. But they've got no options in the Bay Area that have much likelihood of coming to fruition, so they're going to have to end up somewhere.

Even the second team will likely seek some sort of local favor, some sort of tax relief or something, and I that plus the NFL's preferences have kept the Raiders out of the LA conversation.

And I don't see the Raiders being in a position to force the issue, frankly. Mark Davis is not his father - he's already hired a real GM, after all.

Even the second team will likely seek some sort of local favor, some sort of tax relief or something, and I that plus the NFL's preferences have kept the Raiders out of the LA conversation.

And I don't see the Raiders being in a position to force the issue, frankly. Mark Davis is not his father - he's already hired a real GM, after all.

What kind of local favor does the second team need? It's not like they'll have to do anything but pay rent to AEG.

What kind of local favor does the second team need? It's not like they'll have to do anything but pay rent to AEG.

And your team offices and practice facilities will be where?

Today, we are all otaku.

Well, there's that.

There's also the little matter of paying tax on all those dollars they'll earn in LA. I don't know how common it is anymore, but in the past many teams have sought and received waivers for local and state sales tax (and make no mistake, if LA doesn't want the raiders in town Sacramento won't cut them any deals to move).

The Knicks save tens of millions of taxes every year, giving those scumbag Dolans lots of cash to run dishonest ads about how the little people's tax money is spent. :mad:

Um... where ever they should choose to rent space just like any business.

Um... where ever they should choose to rent space just like any business.

Yeah man those practice fields are just sitting there waiting for somebody to rent them.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived